• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

The Olympic Games are postponed to next year.

Jesus, this is depressing... :( 

This virus is taking everything fun and interesting away from this year, from theatrical movies to the Olympics to simply going to a restaurant and eating...

Why the WHO simply doesn't put everyone in an induced coma while they research the vaccine? Things can't continue this way, otherwise the virus will just kill us from boredom and depression.

Boredom and depression are such fascinatingly banal conditions. It's easy to assume they're mutually inclusive, but they're not. I understand depression, but I've fortunately never suffered from it. Boredom just never happens to me, but this next few weeks will possibly put that to the test for me like never before. The idea of cabin fever I can relate to though, and I'm expecting to feel some semblance of that by the fifth week or something like that, but even then I doubt it'll be through boredom.

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This virus is taking everything fun and interesting away from this year, from theatrical movies

I've been thinking about that today. Even if life is slowly returning to normal, people will still be uncertain and a second wave of the virus will still be very much likely. Who is going to go to the movies? Who wants to sit in a room together with a thousand other people? Will the old model of cinema survive this? 

My hope is that maybe this time far from the theaters, with only streamers to watch, will make the people's heart grow fonder of theatrical viewing.

I'm an example, at the beginning of the year I was decided to go to theaters as little as possible given the woeful movies coming out. But now I could watch even the new "dark, gritty and disturbing" Mulan movie, just to be in a theater again.

The new coronavirus is a part of life now. We'll have to deal with it, and the industry won't let a virus to destroy it.

55 minutes ago, woj said:

Do you recommend a good adblocker for an Android phone? 

uBlock Origin. Or depending on what kind of user you are, Adguard (for mostly browser ad blocking).

There are ways of blocking ads on the android YouTube app. I watch more YT on my phone than I do normal TV and I haven't seen an ad for around two years.

I've been thinking about that today. Even if life is slowly returning to normal, people will still be uncertain and a second wave of the virus will still be very much likely. Who is going to go to the movies? Who wants to sit in a room together with a thousand other people? Will the old model of cinema survive this? 

Maybe the old drive-in will make a comeback.

Bolsonaro has just said on national TV that COVID-19 is just a "little flu" and contested the quarantines implemented by the governors of each state. He said the media is provoking mass hysteria, and just getting in the way of his administration to deal with coronavirus. Finally, he asked for the end of the confinements.

During his speech, several people protested by going to the window and hitting pans with spoons (we call that "panelaços"). This same form of protest was used  on the final months of Dilma Rouseff's government, before she got impeached.

Meanwhile, São Paulo is the state where most coronavirus cases around here are happening. Its governor is João Dória, a billionaire who aligned himself with the far right and Bolsonaro during the 2018 election, but now they're enemies, with Bolsonaro fearing Doria may be an adversary on the right for the upcoming presidential election in 2022.

Now that the virus is starting to spread more seriously on the US, I feel that the situation is reaching a boiling point. 

For now, goverments all over the world are following the epidemiologists' recommendation to shut everything down and keep people quarantined. But this simply isn't a viable position in the long run, or even in the short run. Economically, socially, psicologically, it would be catastrophically bad to keep people in their homes like hostages from this virus for a long period of time.

This is precisely what is happening here. Bolsonaro does not want this quarantine situation to continue for much longer because it would hurt our economy, which was already in a pretty bad position even BEFORE the epidemic broke out. Members of our economic elite, like the owner of the Madero restaurants and Roberto Justus, another brazilian billionaire that was the host on our version of the reality show The Apprentice, pretty much said stuff like "the economy can't stop because of 5,000 deaths".

And I bet it is not just them. All over the world, people with lots of money are worried that the whole world is stopped because of the pandemic.

So, either the epidemiologists and scientists come up with a way of controlling the virus without quarantining everyone, or very powerful people will eventually ignore them and make decisions that goes against the recommendations. Either way would have terrible consequences if both parties don't reach an agreement.

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Bolsonaro has just said on national TV that COVID-19 is just a "little flu" and contested the quarantines implemented by the governors of each state. He said the media is provoking mass hysteria, and just getting in the way of his administration to deal with coronavirus. Finally, he asked for the end of the confinements.

As of yesterday, Trump is singing a similar tune: The economy is sinking. America isn't made for this. It's is a well-oiled machine that needs to keep on moving. We can't allow the cure to be worse than the problem. He further said that people have to go back to work or the suicide deaths in the US will exceed those made by the virus. Also, he likes to re-open the country and see packed churches on Easter. The medical world (whose presence on the stage was strangely absent yesterday) was shocked, but Wall Street reacted positive to Trump's words. 

I heartily suggest to read this very insightful AMA reddit transcript with Bill Gates about the COVID-19 pandemic:

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/A-coronavirus-AMA

Until we have a vaccine or at least an effective medical therapy, containment and mitigation (i.e. social distancing and lockdown) are the only measures to avoid a dramatic surge of the spread, combined with an effective strategy of tracing, testing and treating all the mild symptomatic and their contacts at their homes or in specially built quarantine locations. The problem now is that the virus is infecting medical workers and health personnel to the point that hospitals and ERs are becoming clusters of infections (read this dramatic report by a pool of Italian doctors working in the red zone where the virus hit very hard), so it's crucial to have a strategy that keeps most symptomatic cases out of hospitals and follow them with telemedicine, like they did in China and South Korea. Of course all governments in every country are now worried about the economic consequences of locking down entire sectors and blocking most activities for 2 or 3 months, but the point is to apply the best strategy in having this virus contained and under control otherwise all the sacrifices and limitations we're all going through now will be useless if the virus starts circulating again.

18 hours ago, woj said:

Okay, because I have a great adblocker for Chrome on my laptops but nothing for my phone. 

Firefox mobile with Ublock origin addon

Brave browser (Chromium-based mobile browser with built-in adblock)

Adguard (VPN-type thing that can block ads in Chrome and apps)

Pay for YouTube Premium (previously Google Play Music) and no ads will show in YouTube videos

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

My hope is that maybe this time far from the theaters, with only streamers to watch, will make the people's heart grow fonder of theatrical viewing.

Why? I was always happy when there were like only 5 people in the theatre. The less distractions, the better.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Why? I was always happy when there were like only 5 people in the theatre. The less distractions, the better.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Fewer distractions.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The amount of distractions is uncountable so it's legit. ;)

1 hour ago, Þekþiþm said:

It's grammatically obscene!

It's got double the amount of results on google so you lose. 

Those people are wrong.

The majority is wrong? How much you have changed!

Grammar is not a democracy!

Gentlemen! Behave yourselves!