Jump to content
Þekþiþm

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kühni said:

 

Well, that's what at least our government appears to be aiming at.


Bad economy kills a lot slower than coronavirus. Fix coronavirus first, then worry about economy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This report on The Intercept is another reason why a worldwide, constant shutdown would never work.

 

The reporter lives on Rio's northern zone, one of the poorest of the city, where many people earn their living as what we call "vendedores ambulantes", or people who work selling stuff like popsicles, candies, etc., on the public transportation and the streets. Therefore, they can't afford to just stay home all day waiting the crisis to come to an end, otherwise they'd have no money. When Bolsonaro went to TV last Tuesday to contest the quarantine, people agreed with him and are now resuming their lives.

 

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/26/coronavirus-bolsonaro-zona-norte-rio-de-janeiro/

 

It's in portuguese, but I'll translate some parts:

 

 

In other words: yeah, it's easy to just stay home and make pretty posts on social media asking people to stay home when you live comfortably and has a stable job. It's not so easy when what you'll eat during the night depends of how much popsicles of coconuts you sell on the beaches for tourists during the day. 


So give money and aid to the poorest people so they don’t need to be out selling coconuts for a while. 
 

It’s not rocket science. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Time for me to chime in I guess.

 

1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.

 

2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, and over 2500 cases. 

 

3- No one I personally know has been infected, as far as I know. I am still working. Sadly for a mailman the possibility of working from home are limited. Other than that I stay indoors for the most part and only visit my girlfriend, though even then we keep the recommended 1.5 meters distance. 

 

4- Anne Sophie Mutter getting this, kinda hit home a bit. It really wasnt that long ago when I saw her perform....beautifully...in Vienna. I hope John Williams doesnt get this, I hope no one I know and love gets this. 

 

5- The long term ramifications of this, both socially and economically are as yet unknown, but I feel they will be severe.

 

6- I've been listening to Jerry Goldsmith almost exclusively for the last 3 weeks. Biking through a near deserted Dutch countryside listening to Planet Of The Apes...can kinda get to you. Listening to Rambo: First Blood Part II makes me feel I should carry a machete to ward of the possibly-infected.

 

7- I'm on an extended sabbatical, which suits me just fine right now. 

 

8- Boris Johnson getting this actually make me chuckle. Covid-19 doesnt suffer fools. If you shake hands with a bunch of Corona patients, you're gonna get it. 

 

9- As for my own protective measures, I'm stocked up on disposible gloves. I didnt hoard toilet paper like so many dumbasses did. And I made my own hand sanitizer based on a recipi i found on the WHO website, containing bio-ethanol, hydrogen-peroxide, water and some aloë vera.

 

10- John Williams is fantastic.


Good to see you are okay. Take good care Steef, you’ve got a preexisting condition. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quintus said:

You shouldn't laugh? I hope you die from it you Brit hating cunt.

 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Bilbo is a cowardly xenophobic weasel and he should kill himself. 

 

*Awaits ban*


Not sure if just friendly banter or actual dislike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

- Boris Johnson getting this actually make me chuckle. Covid-19 doesnt suffer fools. If you shake hands with a bunch of Corona patients, you're gonna get it. 


Careful, that makes you xenophobic apparently 

13 minutes ago, Fargo said:

 


Not sure if just friendly banter or actual dislike


Oh it’s definitely the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Poor people are tougher than us richies.

 

Hey, you're the rich one here at JWFan. And Koray, because he's worrying about his stock market shares. Jay might be rich too because he's a gambler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Seems to have been pretty consistent for a week or so...

 

No, we went from 2000 to 3000 deaths per day.

 

2 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

 

He seems to be on vacation all the time.

 

He divides his time between watching TV series and playing poker games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 40 hour a week day job (software engineer) and play poker ~10 hours a week maybe 40 or so of the weeks in a year, but don't do any other "gambling" ever

 

my job gives me 23 PTO days a year, and 11 holidays a year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

 

Why did you delete this post, Ricard? 

 

I know you deleted the toilet paper hoarder but I don't remember this one.

 

Your post wasn't altered.  The instragram post you embedded in it no longer exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, we went from 2000 to 3000 deaths per day.

 

I'm not sure whether you're being serious or not, so I'll assume that you are. Of course the number of deaths per day is increasing. What has been consistent is the quantity

 

log(2) / [ log(today's total) - log(yesterday's total) ],

 

the "doubling time" implied by the current rate of increase. For the last ten days (in consecutive order) this works out as

 

6.4,  6.0,  6.1,  5.5,  5.2,  5.9,  5.8,  5.1,  5.8,  5.6.

 

It may be a crude estimate of what's going on, but gives a clearer picture of how the situation is changing than the raw totals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point was I never do the shit where you go up against the house, ie blackcrap, roulette, craps, slots, all that shit that's for suckers.

 

Poker is a card game you play against other people.  Some casinos have a poker room, but they are just providing a service where you still only play against other people, they just take a small portion out of the winning pots as a fee for hosting it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Users can choose to allow their video to be embeddable or not when uploading to youtube.  That user chose not to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

The point was I never do the shit where you go up against the house, ie blackcrap, roulette, craps, slots, all that shit that's for suckers.

 

Poker is a card game you play against other people.  Some casinos have a poker room, but they are just providing a service where you still only play against other people, they just take a small portion out of the winning pots as a fee for hosting it

 

Nothing wrong with losing money in a casino. At least there you know the risk you're taking and you can choose how much you'll lose and you can exit any time. 

 

People giving you a hard time probably have thousands of dollars in student debts, mortgages, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't personally enjoy those other games.  I've tried them all, when out with friends at various birthday or bachelor parties or vacations or whatever.  They can be fun if you go in assuming you'll lose, with money that isn't important.

 

But when I play poker now, it's like a second job.  I study the game and track every dollar.  If you know what you're doing, it's a pretty easy way to make a pretty good supplemental income in my area (the casino in Rhode Island I play tracks a lot of degens with money to blow who have no interest in learning how not to be exploitable)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Current measures extended for another two weeks, possibly four. And my family says I'm taking it badly. Luckily we have news reporters on hand who always ask intelligent questions. 'So the Prime Minister tells us that the exponential growth of the virus is being delayed. Could you explain what that means?' Oh, I don't know… What could she possibly mean by that? Jesus Christ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

 

Why did you delete this post, Ricard? 

 

I know you deleted the toilet paper hoarder but I don't remember this one.

 

I only deleted one post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay said:

 

Your post wasn't altered.  The instragram post you embedded in it no longer exists.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott is pissed:

 

Quote

Ridley Scott Takes Aim at World Leaders’ Crisis Response: ‘Idiots and Despots’

 

Outspoken and perennially busy filmmaker Ridley Scott isn’t mincing words when it comes to the current global pandemic and attendant crisis gripping the world. In a new interview with Variety, the “Blade Runner” and “Alien” filmmaker sounds off on his feelings regarding the way politicians and world leaders are dealing with the crisis, and what he thinks should happen next. In short, he’s not pleased.

 

Asked his take on how the crisis is being handled by politicians, Scott cut to the quick. “Particularly with this orange-headed fellow that’s running us, he’s a nutcase, isn’t he?,” he said. “[New York Gov. Andrew] Cuomo made a name for himself, he’s put himself on the map certainly.”

 

It’s not just American leaders, either. Scott told the outlet, “Looking at the globalization of the politicians that are running the world, half the time being run by idiots and the other time by despots, there are very few worthwhile ones, if you know what I mean. No one wants to go into politics. If anyone has half a brain they wouldn’t want to go into politics anyway, right?”

 

As for his own suggestions, Scott, who was just two years old when World War II broke out, pointed to the past for help. “I’m a war baby, so, in the war years, we had rationing,” he said. “People could not binge on food, we had ration books with coupons where you were at a limited amount that you could buy. They should do that now because people are buying so much food and then the food is rotting.”

 

He added, “In England as well, I mean, Jesus, Boris [Johnson], get out your thinking cap, ’cause what we’re now talking on is an iPhone, a perfect coupon distributor to limit what you can buy each time you go to the shops. And that way, you have order. You must have order and calm.” Hours after Scott’s interview went live, Johnson, the prime minister of Scott’s native U.K., was diagnosed with the virus.

 

As for Scott’s own response, the filmmaker is currently back in Los Angeles and self-isolating while waiting to get back to his latest project, “The Last Duel.” Production on the historical drama, starring Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, was paused this month and Scott hopes to be back to it soon.

 

He told Variety, “I finished in France after shooting for a month and decided it was sensible to close down for the time being. We’re a month in and it looked fantastic. The period is 1360, so we’re back to medieval France and it’s kind of interesting. Back about two weeks ago, we decided to hold it out because it’s silly to continue and wait for the inevitable to happen. We were set to go to Ireland in a week and it was a natural break, so I said, ‘Why don’t we stop here and we’ll return?'”

 

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/ridley-scott-world-leaders-crisis-response-1202220886/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Time for me to chime in I guess.

 

1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.

 

2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, and over 2500 cases. 

 

3- No one I personally know has been infected, as far as I know. I am still working. Sadly for a mailman the possibility of working from home are limited. Other than that I stay indoors for the most part and only visit my girlfriend, though even then we keep the recommended 1.5 meters distance. 

 

4- Anne Sophie Mutter getting this, kinda hit home a bit. It really wasnt that long ago when I saw her perform....beautifully...in Vienna. I hope John Williams doesnt get this, I hope no one I know and love gets this. 

 

5- The long term ramifications of this, both socially and economically are as yet unknown, but I feel they will be severe.

 

6- I've been listening to Jerry Goldsmith almost exclusively for the last 3 weeks. Biking through a near deserted Dutch countryside listening to Planet Of The Apes...can kinda get to you. Listening to Rambo: First Blood Part II makes me feel I should carry a machete to ward of the possibly-infected.

 

7- I'm on an extended sabbatical, which suits me just fine right now. 

 

8- Boris Johnson getting this actually make me chuckle. Covid-19 doesnt suffer fools. If you shake hands with a bunch of Corona patients, you're gonna get it. 

 

9- As for my own protective measures, I'm stocked up on disposible gloves. I didnt hoard toilet paper like so many dumbasses did. And I made my own hand sanitizer based on a recipi i found on the WHO website, containing bio-ethanol, hydrogen-peroxide, water and some aloë vera.

 

10- John Williams is fantastic.

 

da4a774d-0728-4d2c-a179-7f44bcde335b_text.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

We’re in lockdown from midnight. Can’t go more than 2km from our houses unless it’s essential. 

 

Finally they figured out how to control you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just take away his camera and give him a computer, and he won't leave the house. Am I right? :)

I’ve barely left the house in over two weeks as it is. I’ve been working at home in that period. 
 

I miss taking photos at hurling matches though 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...