Jump to content
Þekþiþm

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:
  1. I bet you he missed his chance to leave China, and that’s probably why he hasn’t gotten out of Dodge. So he’s got to put on a brave face. BA and Virgin, the only two UK operators to and from China stopped flights January 29th. At this point, he has ZERO options in terms of leaving China unless the UK puts together more evacuation flights to his local area. 

 

Your hypothesis is wrong. He already mentioned a couple of weeks back that he would be staying put. He was only over here in December and really didn't fancy making the epic journey back yet again so soon. 

 

Blumenkohl, you really need to stop flapping over this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Your hypothesis is wrong. He already mentioned a couple of weeks back that he would be staying put. He was only over here in December and really didn't fancy making the epic journey back yet again so soon. 

 

Arrggghhh! I set myself up with disappointment with you every time. I keep thinking...nah...Quinty...he's wiser than the rest of this lot. He's not just a soundtrack dweeb. I don't know what it is about you, but you give off the vibe of common sense. Then you go and say that. And I think to myself, "nevermind, he has the textbook thinking of a professor at the LSE." You'd get an A+ in class, and be swindled out of your money, house, wife, and life in the real world. 

 

It doesn't matter why he chose to stay rather than leave. Girl, epic trip back, financial burden, inconvenience, whatever. He's now stuck in China and has no choice in the matter. He has two ways out, both beyond his control. UK government backed evacuation OR for all this to be a fluke and turn out okay. 

 

If he'd "over" reacted and come back he'd be back in the UK chilling at a bar right now. And if everything had turned out to be rosy, he could be on a plane back to China to resume his life. Instead he's like flotsam and jetsam floating in the river of blind luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't most people who've contracted this virus just suffered through normal flu-like symptoms for a few days?

 

Less developed nations are the ones who need to worry most about this outbreak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Don't most people who contract this virus just suffer through normal flu-like symptoms for a few days?

 

With early numbers and assuming the official Chinese numbers are accurate, yes. For every 100 people confirmed infected, 2 of them will die. So I wouldn't volunteer to try it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Blumenkohl said:

It doesn't matter why he chose to stay rather than leave. Girl, epic trip back, financial burden, inconvenience, whatever. He's now stuck in China and has no choice in the matter. He has two ways out, both beyond his control. UK government backed evacuation OR for all this to be a fluke and turn out okay. 

 

What you just don't seem to grasp though is my that my cousin never had any intention to come back over to the UK anyway, since for a few years now he has been making a life for himself quite comfortably in China, with his gf and her family. He's picked up the language and all that, he's settled there. But sure, you continue to try and force whatever point it is your'e determined to, however redundant to it is. I'll watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

 

With early numbers and assuming the official Chinese numbers are accurate, yes. For every 100 people confirmed infected, 2 of them will die. So I wouldn't volunteer to try it out. 

 

That's 2%.

Death rate caused by flu and pneumonia in the US is between 6% and 7%.

 

And as usual with these figures, it doesn't take into account how many victims already had health issues before getting infected. 

Up until about 2-3 weeks ago, a major percentage of the deaths occured with people already suffering from severe health issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Quintust

Lee is right: his cousin chooses to make a life for himself in China, and, as a citizen, he chooses to accept any potential danger, there might be (helluva time to ask!).

It's the same with anyone. Why would someone be forced to relocate just because there might be a chance of them contracting some illness? It doesn't make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Quintust

Lee is right: his cousin chooses to make a life for himself in China, and, as a citizen, he chooses to accept any potential danger, there might be (helluva time to ask!).

It's the same with anyone. Why would someone be forced to relocate just because there might be a chance of them contracting some illness? It doesn't make sense.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not just the media. Antwerp Chinatown is complaining that their shops and restaurants are empty. Even the Chinese are staying away. JWfan is trying to downplay people's fear of the virus.

 

People are afraid, because the media, governments, Big Pharma and @Blumenkohl says we should be!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, the VRT (Flemish Radio and TV) news constantly tries to put things into perspective and says they is virtually no chance that you will be infected. Only one Belgian is infected and she or he is not even sick while the flu kills +/- 1000 Belgians per year. It doesn't help. The Chinese restaurants are empty.

 

201002010627thebest_0001-500-zaal.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s also not discount how mass Coronavirus hysteria has become a convenient excuse to also tolerate racist attitudes...which is another large reason why Asian businesses are being affected. I know that’s been happening here in Toronto too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Quintust

Lee is right: his cousin chooses to make a life for himself in China, and, as a citizen, he chooses to accept any potential danger, there might be (helluva time to ask!).

It's the same with anyone. Why would someone be forced to relocate just because there might be a chance of them contracting some illness? It doesn't make sense.

 

WTF are you talking about? Who said anything about forcing anyone to relocate? Why do you have no reading comprehension? 

25 minutes ago, KK said:

Let’s also not discount how mass Coronavirus hysteria has become a convenient excuse to also tolerate racist attitudes...which is another large reason why Asian businesses are being affected. I know that’s been happening here in Toronto too.


Must be a Canadian thing. Our favorite Chinese spot was packed last night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, KK said:

Let’s also not discount how mass Coronavirus hysteria has become a convenient excuse to also tolerate racist attitudes...which is another large reason why Asian businesses are being affected. I know that’s been happening here in Toronto too.

 

Oddly enough, I am yet to encounter anything along these lines. Topical humour for example, regardless of its distasteful or downright offensive nature, is normally quite quick to circulate here in the UK. Maybe it's because at the moment there's still an element of "it could happen to you too" about the situation, which makes joking about it feel a bit uncomfortable. And yet I noticed the jokes and memes flying around literally the same day that Kobe died, possibly because his demise was deemed safe and far away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's not just the media. Antwerp Chinatown is complaining that their shops and restaurants are empty. Even the Chinese are staying away. JWfan is trying to downplay people's fear of the virus.

 

No offense, but judging by your post history, you're front row when it comes to buying into and dramatizing media hype fear mongering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

 

No offense, but judging by your post history, you're front row when it comes to buying into and dramatizing media hype fear mongering. 

 

All I do it post facts. Don't like it? Then go watch Fox News!

 

Global Coronavirus death toll: 566

 

 

1 hour ago, Blumenkohl said:


This thread is making Other Topics great again. It’s like the closest you can get to politics without being politics.

 

No wonder the Church has always preached end times. 

 

With Macgyver on board, it's only a matter of time before Jay (who's perfectly fine with Macgyver's avatar even though he doesn't allow for political statements) locks this thread too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

When he told JW to drop dead so Giacchino could score Star Wars!


I have fought the dweeb-think here since day one. I defended your punk-ass Hans Zimmer fetish from the dweebs! 
 

Now you’ve turned into a dweeb music-analyst monkey. 🤓 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...