• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

Ann Sophie Mutter just posted a video on Facebook. She tested positive. Sounds in good spirits - so far she said she's just feeling lazy,    

On 7/8/2020 at 9:04 AM, publicist said:

Which to me sounds an awful lot like a trick

Yeah, your trick.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:12 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They better not!

Then you'll be happy to hear it's not what they are planning. If there is a new surge, the plan is to do a regional or a local lockdown, like they recently did with a German district, to prevent it from spreading to other regions.

On 7/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, mstrox said:

My local paper prints both new cases and new deaths.  

The growing number of cases is what stands out most today but news media is also talking about why the number of deaths is relatively low or why it is declining.

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yeah, your trick.

Certainly not. In contrast to a media-dependent sheep like you, who always will just repeat what he's been told, i prefer to think beyond. And now in July we are certainly at a point where we can say with certainty that: a) the virus will spread, regardless of masks and other containment strategies and b) the feared hospital jams all over Europe have been wild exceptions. All the rest, i. e. long-term effects of the virus, we will have to deal with. But once you accepted a) is happening and b) doesn't really happen we can deduce that most lockdown measures except wearing masks (for now) and follow basic hygiene routines make no sense since at least May.

In Ireland both cases and deaths are reported at a national press conference every evening. I have three news apps which all send push notifications with this info. Also released daily if you want to find it is the number of recoveries as well as those currently in hospital and the numbers in ICU. 

The new Covid tracker app also gives a full breakdown of the history of the virus. 

FEBBA645-974D-425E-91B5-CB4CC0138967.png

27 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

In Ireland both cases and deaths are reported at a national press conference every evening. I have three news apps which all send push notifications with this info.

Our big news media started to push the numbers aside in May. Of course you find them, but they ceased to be major news items. Now the headlines are exclusively about hotspots and political questions posing as health matters. 

The exciting thing is that just two years ago, in the winter of 2017/18, here in Germany we had an actual and even quite violent flu epidemic overtaxing the health system, more than 25,000 deaths and a very real over-mortality - back then, no politician or health expert wasted a thought on 'protective measure'" or even a mask-wear-duty. This very influenza virus follows the same infection pathways and mechanisms as the corona virus and is (would) be contained in exactly the same way. 

I am not inclined to conspiracy thinking, but given the obvious - now apparent since the merry month of May, at least - there is the nagging thought that other forces are at work here than just a collective, self-sufficient hysteria from which politics can no longer find its way without losing face.

I think that's the natural case of things in countries that have had some success though, right?  Once you get the spread and disease under some sort of control, you need to shift priorities to catching new cases and isolating them to prevent community spread.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Well, your government didn't want to do it but the Lizard people who control the world gave them no choice. 

:mellow:

V!

16 hours ago, publicist said:

Our big news media started to push the numbers aside in May. Of course you find them, but they ceased to be major news items. Now the headlines are exclusively about hotspots and political questions posing as health matters. 

The exciting thing is that just two years ago, in the winter of 2017/18, here in Germany we had an actual and even quite violent flu epidemic overtaxing the health system, more than 25,000 deaths and a very real over-mortality - back then, no politician or health expert wasted a thought on 'protective measure'" or even a mask-wear-duty. This very influenza virus follows the same infection pathways and mechanisms as the corona virus and is (would) be contained in exactly the same way. 

I am not inclined to conspiracy thinking, but given the obvious - now apparent since the merry month of May, at least - there is the nagging thought that other forces are at work here than just a collective, self-sufficient hysteria from which politics can no longer find its way without losing face.

Aww man, Blume must be trying so hard not to be triggered by now.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Aww man Blume must be trying so hard not to be triggered by now.

Yeah, there seem to be lots of triggers right now. Right now, THE MASK seems to be a delicious example of a with us or against us-culture. 

17 hours ago, publicist said:

And not about reopening the country and its borders safely? That's what reigns the news in Belgium, it is the long summer vacation after all. We don't have hotspots momentarily. We want to prevent them. 

20 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I went to the movies today and nobody was wearing a stupid surgical mask.

No social distancing either? 

52 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

And not about reopening the country and its borders safely? That's what reigns the news in Belgium, it is the long summer vacation after all. We don't have hotspots momentarily. We want to prevent them. 

Not really. Again, i refer to all those loaded words like 'hotspot' and then i ask my guys working in hospitals and so on what exactly happens after one of those heavily publicized *breakouts* (we had several in June/July). Answer: hardly anything at all. What's more, after the #blacklivesmatter brouhaha in Berlin and Munich, with 40.000 people demonstrating very close to each other, illegal raves, etc. and we still have empty hospital beds in many states. Our health system now has more problems with patients that were pushed aside during the crisis (no operations allowed).

I have no problems with mask duties or the 1.5 meters distance, even if we all only do it sporadically here. What i have a problem with is that our media, by and large, doesn't even address these facts but is completely in line with official government policies, and these do not make that much sense right now. 

You can't enter any shop or store without wearing a mask. The reason? For a while now, the number of daily deaths is stagnating at around 85. That number needs to go down.

Of course, the real reason is that the Lizard People find us hideous to look at. 

Did a JWfan got the disease yet?

On 7/9/2020 at 1:23 AM, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

I went to the movies today and nobody was wearing a stupid surgical mask.

A comedy?

They're making masks compulsory in shops here too soon, but it isn't for public health effectiveness as will be perceived. Basically, the shops have all reopened, but they're not as busy as they should/need to be - many people, mainly pensioners, are simply not taking the chance and are continuing to stay at home. But the government and whole retail sector are praying that mandatory face coverings in stores might give fearful shoppers the confidence to go out and start spending again.

26 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

What if you don't have a mask, and you go out to buy one? Technically you went out without a mask, even though you were out buying one.

If you don't have a mask, you tie a handkerchief around your face like a bandana. It's a face covering and will get you into just about any place that a mask is required.

What makes masks so effective is that even a modest decrease in viral load can reduce risk of infection dramatically. 

Once again it’s an exponential growth thing. So don’t buy into the crap from the anti-maskers. Even a 50% reduction in initial viral load can mean a dramatic reduction in risk of getting sick and the intensity of how sick you get if you do become sick. 

It’s the same mathematical principle that would have saved us from the mess if countries were quick to close borders with China. 

Best time to nip exponentials in the bud is in the beginning. 

14 minutes ago, who cares said:

If you don't have a mask, you tie a handkerchief around your face like a bandana. It's a face covering and will get you into just about any place that a mask is required.

What if you don't have any hankies?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Québec: Masks will be mandatory in enclosed public spaces from Saturday July 18.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

They became compulsory on public transport here on Friday. 

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Ours became compulsory today.

WTF, only now?! We have that rule for more than two months now.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Masks became compulsory on public transport here from today. I’ve been wearing them when I help the father do the weekly shop. 

Depends on what I'm doing. Out and about on nature on a trail, I carry a cloth mask and pull it over my nose if I get close to others. If I'm indoors and can keep my distance, N95 + Surgical. If I'm indoors and can't keep distance N95 + Surgical + Work Goggles. 

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

We've had it as a regulation since end March, but as of today they will reportedly implement zero tolerance for non-compliance.

6 minutes ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

Just run around in the nuddy

The world would not be able to handle such glory. I fear the divorce rate would skyrocket as men and women flock to be with me.