I think at this time we can all agree: 

1. Everyone needs to wear masks when enclosed with strangers. 

2. If everyone is compliant with #1, open things back up, because the execution of lockdown in the West, particularly the US was a complete half-assed over-prolonged shit show. 

3. Force relocate anyone who is keeping us from #1 to Australia

4. Greet our new Asian overlords who had their shit together. 

24 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

5. Certainly never, ever do anything about China, who brought the world to its knees and continues to operate its death markets that are directly blamed for this plague.

It'll take time. We need to move our factories back home, we need to make sure we can produce our own medical supplies. In the mean time, they still need our universities to teach their people how to think for themselves instead of steal American and European IP. So we'll be all smiles for another few years. 

JK our universities don't teach people how to think for themselves. Thinking for yourself gets you cancelled. We need to detangle ourselves from China and quick. 

I just feel bad for The Dixie Chicks. They were canceled in the early 2000s for standing up to Dubya and while their careers never recovered, they recently changed their name for Burn Loot Murder cultural movement, presumably anticipating further backlash 17 years later. They are now referred to as simply The Chicks. Poor ladies. 

Believe it or not, but Bolle picked the wrong town. Antwerp goes into 'Lockdown Lite' for 4 weeks The second wave has begun.

On 7/25/2020 at 3:33 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

When you read an article by the BBC (the BB fucking C!!!), called "Reality Check", you can be sure that it's all lies!

Fucking Tory mouthpiece.

So how come its satirical shows (HIGNFY, Mock The Week, The Mash Report, Frankie Boyle's New World Order to name but four ... and more on the radio channels) are almost completely liberal-left? 

The Beeb seems to be 'Schrodinger's broadcaster' ... accused both of being a Govt mouthpiece AND of being ran by 'woke' lefties.  

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

So how come its satirical shows (HIGNFY, Mock The Week, The Mash Report, Frankie Boyle's New World Order to name but four ... and more on the radio channels) are almost completely liberal-left? 

The Beeb seems to be 'Schrodinger's broadcaster' ... accused both of being a Govt mouthpiece AND of being ran by 'woke' lefties.  

a good indication it’s actually balanced. 

The BBC and the London Underground are the pride of Britain. The bits the rest of us would like to have! 

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have you considered that the government circles that run the BBC are woke lefties? 

I've heard that now the WH is controlling the COVID-19 data (cases, deaths, ...), they are artificially flattening the curve of the red states. You have to admit it's odd that the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) has been sidelined by the Trump administration. 

It's the opposite of what we are doing in Germany, then. At this point the whole matter is completely political. Our 'numbers' have long ceased to have any pandemic relevance. The number of hospitalized patients is beyond negligible. I really don't know what we are doing right now, even if we seem to look doing it.

Here in Quebec the warnings are about young people and private parties, because every people who had to die, already died I think.

We already are afraid of the classes return in September, because even if less people die, the poison is spreading.

And that deadly winter is coming, so in hospitals it will be a real nightmare part Deux.

Wash your masks!

18 minutes ago, publicist said:

I really don't know what we are doing right now, 

It's simple, like Belgium and other European countries, Germany is trying to prevent a second outbreak. Right now, Antwerp sees the most alarming rise in the country. Belgium went from 80 cases per day to 500 cases these last few days. If we do nothing and ignore the virus we'll have multiple thousands new cases in August. There's nothing political about it. All parties agree the virus shouldn't have free rein. 

Things are pretty much on the mend in Toronto. We had I think 1 new case yesterday? Most people are still working from home, and both the service and arts sector are going to have a pretty rough year ahead.

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Here in Quebec the warnings are about young people and private parties, because every people who had to die, already died I think.

We already are afraid of the classes return in September, because even if less people die, the poison is spreading.

And that deadly winter is coming, so in hospitals it will be a real nightmare part Deux.

Wash your masks!

It's the same in Belgium. The 20-30 year demographic is partying like it's 1999. It's why we now have a curfew (from 11.30 to 6.00). 

I have washed my mask today. It's drying as we speak. We can't go outside without one. 

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The big fear of massive youth spread (beyond the much less frequent but still present death rate, related chronic illness, etc.) is that it will then spread to more vulnerable people.  More community spread = more risk doing essential activities like grocery shopping, doctor's appointments, etc., as well as risk to essential workers, nonessential workers who are being placed in the community for one reason or another, etc.

In our recently exploding states, the infection rates skyrocketed mostly among young people early, and then weeks/months later is when the hospitals and ICUs filled up, death counts skyrocketed, etc.

6 minutes ago, KK said:

Things are pretty much on the mend in Toronto. We had I think 1 new case yesterday?

Impressive. It's called crushing the curve! We didn't really do that. 

There's no evidence of that, no.

I'm a bit intrigued about the "reactivations" that they're seeing (many of the positive tests several months later are being called this rather than a second infection), but I'm no virologist, so if scientists aren't concerned, I'm not.

6 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Impressive. It's called crushing the curve! We didn't really do that. 

Yea, numbers wise, we came out of this pretty well. Though I think the workforce has taken a real beating financially, so we'll have to deal with those long term consequences.

The bulk of the remaining outbreaks are happening around localized farm areas, where I'm guessing cramped working conditions have something to do with that.

Meanwhile, Americans are apparently trying to sneak into the border by boat under the guise of "going to Alaska". We'll see what happens when the border opens up...

10 minutes ago, KK said:

Meanwhile, Americans are apparently trying to sneak into the border by boat under the guise of "going to Alaska". We'll see what happens when the border opens up...

What??? We don't want Americans in Canada, stay on your side!

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

It's simple, like Belgium and other European countries, Germany is trying to prevent a second outbreak. Right now, Antwerp sees the most alarming rise in the country. Belgium went from 80 cases per day to 500 cases these last few days. If we do nothing and ignore the virus we'll have multiple thousands new cases in August. There's nothing political about it. All parties agree the virus shouldn't have free rein. 

Yeah, that's what it looks like. In truth, or if you care to cast a more sceptical eye on it, the situation is as follows: tests still are not reliable (with the additional problem that the mutations around now are very different from the Wuhan virus, so the so-called rise of alarming numbers - 99.9% asymptomatic - is not as clear-cut an argument as you seem to believe. Not too put too fine a point on it, they are dodgy. Thank god we hardly have cases that need to be hospitalized (read: never had, even in spring) but that also begs the question why the alarming tone about coming outbreaks. 

I know that you are the last one to question official reading, but without hedging any serious tin foil hat theories i find it - from a journalistic and scientific POV - all a bit fishy right now. Speaking for Europe, of course.

We are dumb like that.

A top American health expert is praising Canada for not succumbing to "vaccine nationalism" because of its efforts to push for fair global distribution of a cure for the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-urged-avoid-vaccine-nationalism-200025010.html

22 hours ago, BLUMENKOHL said:

Have you considered that the government circles that run the BBC are woke lefties? 

You'll not find a lot of those in the Tory party. 

It’s funny, I think this forum was a ten-year early-warning microcosm of what would happen in politics around the world due to the internet. 

Trad film music vs. modernist film music. Taken to the extremes. 

This thread is veering back into politics, which is against the forum rules.  Stick to the non-political aspects of the pandemic or we'll have to lock the thread.  Sorry!

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Jay, if you strike Bes down, he will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

I apologized! But in the USA, you can't deny that the covid-19 crisis is very political. This news is major today, but I recognize it goes too far... but it's distracting!

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I apologized! But in the USA, you can't deny that the covid-19 crisis is very political. This news is major today, but I recognize it goes too far... but it's distracting!

Shhh! Quiet you bloody Wannabe Frenchist! You’ll get us all shut down. 

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

D'accord, d'accord!

J’ai oublie, ou es tu au Quebec? 

Shit now we will be banned for not speaking in the JWFan Lingua Franca. 

53 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Will you people please talk in English? I have enough of that malarkey, at work.

Ah la ferme!

23 minutes ago, KK said:

Comment as-tu appris francais Blume?

Mme Blume parle courament. Je lui apprends le Mandarin. Elle m'apprend le Francais. 

Avec Francais, je connais cinq langues. How I impressed Mrs. Blume! I knew English and German growing up. Added Japanese around high school. Good way to pick up women back then in college. Picked up Mandarin while I was a salaryman having to go back and forth to and from China.