• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, I don't notice anything either.

Time for me to chime in I guess.   1- I am not dead, as apparently some of you have theorised.   2- Things are....pretty dire over here. 546 dead according to the latest numbers, a

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

Oh look, yet again they're bringing up the alternative approach which some of us argued for many months ago:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/06/scientist-urge-return-normal-now-avoid-future-health-crises

The crucial difference being that the media is now also coming around to that way of thinking. Funny that. 

It is up to the elderly and the other higher risk groups to use their common sense and avoid risky public spaces. The rest of productive society can no longer continue to jeopardise their own futures for demographic groups who are largely capable of looking after themselves, with help measures put into place. There shouldn't be an expectation from the elderly that the rest of the world will put themselves damagingly on hold indefinitely, just for them. 

Many months ago you were wrong.

Letting the virus "wash over" the population is a horrible idea!  All the needless death.  It's true that the mortality rate is "low" (not as low as the flu, etc., but if one person were playing the odds on a case, their odds of survival vs. death would be pretty "good").  But infect a whole population, and we'll start seeing a few things - hospitals getting overrun, much like we saw in the early days in New York, and an incredible number of deaths.  "Most people won't die" doesn't mean that many, many people wouldn't die completely avoidable deaths. And not to mention the long-term and potentially permanent after-effects of infections - at this point, longevity unknown due to the novelty of the virus.

Scientists think that immunity in 70% of the population would essentially equal herd immunity.  We don't know if infection via natural means will impart any long-term immunity.  There have been scattered reinfections.  But if it does, 70% of the US population is 231,700,000 people.  If you assume a survival rate of 99.4% (experts have indicated an approximated 0.6% mortality rate), we'd see 1,390,200 deaths - in the US alone.

In the name of what, impatience?  There are tons of vaccines and therapeutics in development right now, some in the last stages of testing.  Throw in the towel and get a bunch of people killed because we're just sick of this or because the economy needs a boost?

In the end, I do suspect there will be some aspect of "herd immunity through infection" - since no vaccine is 100% effective, and experts say they would be willing to entertain vaccines that are at least 50% effective, and of course a large part of the population who refuses to even get an eventual vaccine.  Ideally, an eventual covid vaccine would also work like the flu vaccine (even if you do get it, chances are good it will be milder and less transmissable).

And there is the rub. When we say things  that might be misinterpreted. 

Nice use of Wally btw though it's about as effective a deaf person signing an insult at you. 🗯

In all seriousness I check on all my older friends through actual phone calls and text. I drop food off. Thankfully I DONT have to work from home. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

And there is the rub. When we say things  that might be misinterpreted. 

Nice use of Wally btw though it's about as effective a deaf person signing an insult at you. 🗯

Which is why I found it awfully twee when Jason had a moan about it. "Wally" is probably the mushiest insult in the whole of the English language. 

In all seriousness I check on all my older friends through actual phone calls and text. I drop food off. Thankfully I DONT have to work from home. 

My wife now indefinitely works from home, but I've been back working full time and in a busy environment since May. For all intents and purposes my life is completely back to normal. By rights I should have caught this virus by now, and frankly I can't believe I haven't and nobody I work with has either. The only person I know who has had it is my brother, months ago. 

Out of curiosity, does everybody (incl. you) mask over there?

I now personally know three people who have tested positive for COVID.  One is a coworker, apparently mild enough that she was back and teleworking a few days after the diagnosis. Another was somebody from our church in her 60s who lived in a nursing home, who apparently had a really rough go of it in May or June and never had to be hospitalized but is still having a really rough go of it re: after-effects.  The other had no symptoms and tests every week because he and his roommate are both out in the community for their jobs - he tested negative a few times immediately thereafter, so the suspicion is that his positive test was a false positive, although he still quarantined.

I know I've said this before, but all three of us had presumed COVID in March (before any testing was available), the effects of which I'm still feeling to some extent.  I also know two other people who are fairly certain they had COVID, but just quarantined and did not test.

Of course, it's somewhat more rampant over here than in your neck of the woods, so the odds of catching the thing are higher here.

Where I live, we are required to wear masks when in shops/pubs/restaurants, in GP surgeries, in taxis, and on public transport, but not while walking out and about. Where I live, everyone has at least 6 metres between them. It's easy to avoid other people, up here.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

...it's about as effective a deaf person signing an insult at you. 

I know quite a few insults, in BSL, ASL, and Makaton.

17 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Out of curiosity, does everybody (incl. you) mask over there?

I wear one inside shops and whenever I interact with folk outside of my immediate work circle. I essentially spend my day fixing and removing my mask, but I don't give it a second thought, it's no hassle to me. 

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

In the end, I do suspect there will be some aspect of "herd immunity through infection" - since no vaccine is 100% effective, and experts say they would be willing to entertain vaccines that are at least 50% effective

This reckless kind of surmising is banned here. I mean, are you trying to trigger the Coronavirus thread policeman? And I don't mean Jason. 

The current rules in my local area:

hJpZeZa.jpg

eWbIydM.jpg

I’m not triggered by mstrox talking sense about herd immunity in October 2020. 

It’s all about timing. You want to be cautious and slow when the fog is thickest and you can let down your guard speed up as the fog clears. 

54 minutes ago, Quintus said:

You don't get to set arbitrary time frames for everyone though, especially when it's suggested during a rubbish attempt to mask your own back-peddling. 

Why would I back pedal? I was and am right all through. 

You're absurd. It has been but 6 months since the end of April, yet you're trying to pass it off as being something equivalent to years since then in relation to the trajectory of this disease. You must think I'm blind if you reckon I haven't spotted your recalibration here. 

Ever since Trump got the China Virus, I always wear a mask when I'm outside now, even when there's no one else around, such as in the abandoned Disneyland area which will resemble Detroit soon if they don't take our snake Governor to court. Then when I get back home, I turn around toward the street, take off the mask and stand there for a few minutes before going inside.

20201008_111935.jpg

57 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Ever since Trump got the China Virus, I always wear a mask when I'm outside now, even when there's no one else around, such as in the abandoned Disneyland area which will resemble Detroit soon if they don't take our snake Governor to court. Then when I get back home, I turn around toward the street, take off the mask and stand there for a few minutes before going inside.

20201008_111935.jpg

I mean, of all the masks I've seen, and I've seen a few - we all have - (they're high fashion!), that is probably the coolest I've seen of the lot. 

You said you love face masks (unlike Trump) but now that Trump has the virus something tells you the virus is serious? And what's the use anyway? It didn't have much effect on Trump (as far as we can tell) so why should you worry? 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

You said you love face masks (unlike Trump) but now that Trump has the virus something tells you the virus is serious? And what's the use anyway? It didn't have much effect on Trump (as far as we can tell) so why should you worry? 

No, I don't treat the virus any differently than before. I'm not at risk since I'm well under the age of 75 and not in poor health. The only way I could die from the ChinaVirus is if I died of unrelated causes such as murder, being hit by a car or falling off a ladder, and I tested positive for antibodies, with my death being falsely attributed to the virus that mostly only kills elderly people in poor health.

I have always liked wearing a mask, but now I like it even more since Trump started.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

All you bed-wetting leftie chumps squeal and bork at posts like Justin's, because you can't handle it. You can't handle the truth. 

It's morally superior to virtue signal and tell people to "Stay home! Save lives!", especially if those people are in a cushy menial work-from-home desk job and unaffected by the China Virus. Had the world not been shut down to save the elderly in poor health, many of which were in nursing homes and already in isolation, most people would still be unaffected by the virus. It's the at-risk that should be staying home and being kept in isolation while the rest of the world moves on. Instead, we're bankrupting everyone and undoubtedly destroying the lives of people who would have always been left alive when the dust settles.