Williams' unrealized scores we know about

Ricardo Mortimer

Missing here: David Copperfield from 1969, directed by Delbert Mann, was contracted to be scored by John Williams before Malcolm Arnold took over the job. Was due to scheduling conflicts according to the liner notes of the re-recording of Arnolds score.

Regarding CALIFORNIA SPLIT: while it's true that - the tragic circumstances in which JW vacated the project not withstanding -  he left, and then composed, the "Violin Concerto", I've always felt that there has been an almost creeping, optimistic stoicism, in the scores immediately following Ruick's death.

Both films deal with cataclysmic tragedy, yet both films centre on survival, rather than defeat. In that regard, the scores could be seen as a form of catharsis.

I believe that they were both important scores, for JW.

For some reason, whenever.I saw a mention of Heaven's Gate, which I haven't seen, I confused it with the comedy Heaven Can Wait.

Regarding unrealized Williams scores - a bit of a stretch, but I read Robopocalypse when Spielberg expressed interest in it. I loved the book and was disappointed the movie never happened. I read Ready Player One also when Spielberg announced his adaption. I need to stop reading books!