Star Wars Saga Could've Had Overtures

Andy

47 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

I liked how the SE's presented them like intermezzos/Ent'racte

Me too. A couple years ago, I copied this idea for an expanded OST-FYC edit of TFA with the three main concert suites presented between "The Starkiller" and "Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle."

The intermezzo style was a bold choice.  I really liked Princess Leia's Theme to open up Disc 2.  But when put into one playlist (along with the 5 takes of the Main Title), the narrative of the chronological score is disrupted.  

I'm almost surprised Lucas didn't plan it from the start to begin with Overtures, as it was meant to be a throwback presentation to old fashioned movies, and if LFL wanted to make any further Special Editions, I'd be happy to see them do a John Williams presentation with the concert pieces playing before the Lucasfilm Logo.

14 hours ago, Hedji said:

Further, it's refreshing to not have to guess a volume level that won't induce a heart attack when the playlist begins on the fanfare.

This is the most "JW Fan" thing I've read in a while. Story of my life! :lol:

1 hour ago, Hedji said:

The intermezzo style was a bold choice.  I really liked Princess Leia's Theme to open up Disc 2.  But when put into one playlist (along with the 5 takes of the Main Title), the narrative of the chronological score is disrupted.  

I'm almost surprised Lucas didn't plan it from the start to begin with Overtures, as it was meant to be a throwback presentation to old fashioned movies, and if LFL wanted to make any further Special Editions, I'd be happy to see them do a John Williams presentation with the concert pieces playing before the Lucasfilm Logo.

The live concerts do kind of do this with intermissions

17 hours ago, Hedji said:

I'm almost surprised Lucas didn't plan it from the start to begin with Overtures, as it was meant to be a throwback presentation to old fashioned movies

The music for the opening crawl of the original Star Wars is a sort-of overture, but because that simply got replicated for future episodes, they don't each have a distinct overture.

Star Wars wasn't really a throwback to the kinds of films that had overtures, though. It owes much more to campy serials than it does to big-screen epics.

Musically, Williams arranged the album of The Phantom Menace to have the concert arrangements at the top of the presentation, after the manner of an overture. Its a smart way to acknowledge it as the "first" score in the cycle, I thought.

When rewatching the movies, I do like to play an “Overture”. However, for me it doesn’t have to be a single movement, it can be a longer suite.

Star Wars:

• Princess Leia’s Theme

The Empire Strikes Back:

1. The Imperial March
  2. Yoda’s Theme
  3. Han Solo and the Princess (Gerhardt)

The Carbonite Maneuver:

• Jabba the Hutt (Skywalker Symphony)

Return of the Jedi:

1. Parade of the Ewoks
  2. Luke and Leia
  3. Forest Battle

The Force Awakens:

1. March of the Resistance
  2. Rey’s Theme
  3. Scherzo for X-Wings
  4. The Jedi Steps

I don’t rewatch any of the others.
I like to split RotJ into two viewings.
I also like to listen to the New Han and Leia arrangement after the TFA Finale.

^ Very nice, @Fal J. M. Skywalker!  That Asteroid Field one is a great choice and a nice arrangement.  And your ROTJ one takes on precisely new meaning if after the gentle quiet finish of Luke and Leia, you anticipate the opening blast of the fanfare and Main Title.  Lovely work.

Again, I realize I'm not making an ingenious discovery, or creating something that wasn't already there, but I got tired of listening to the concert pieces after the end credits in my playlists, which is their traditional repository.

3 minutes ago, Hedji said:

^ Very nice, @Fal J. M. Skywalker!  That Asteroid Field one is a great choice and a nice arrangement.

Thanks! I based the Yoda theme placement on Rozsa's Quo Vadis:

Imagine this - Star Trek which came out in 1979 used an Overture! It had the magisterial Ilia's Theme - one of Goldsmith's very best themes - unfurling in all its glory before the main title.

There is more than enough material for JW to work with to provide Overtures.

But then again the opening chord is so iconic, I think part of the effect of the music is that it is the very thing you hear everytime - honestly what can compare? I agree with above that in this case the main title itself functions as the overture as it is not an actual title - there are no credits on scree - just the movie name and some text.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

But then again the opening chord is so iconic, I think part of the effect of the music is that it is the very thing you hear everytime - honestly what can compare? I agree with above that in this case the main title itself functions as the overture as it is not an actual title - there are no credits on scree - just the movie name and some text.

There is No Comparison? ;)

I couldn't agree more. BUT, after all this time, and with the omission of the Fox Fanfare for the Sequels, it's fun to imagine if "there is another" way the music (and movies) can be organized to set the tone and listening experience.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want it any other way than how it began.  An overture would indeed have diluted the power of that opening.  It's just that after all these repeated listenings, it's fun to imagine how it might play with one of the fine concert arrangements first.