R.I.P. Kobe Bryant, for whom JW wrote Dear Basketball

Edmilson

NBA legend Kobe Bryant was killed in a helicopter crash this sunday. :(

In addition to his brilliant basketball career, he and JW collaborated on the Dear Basketball animated short film.

Rest in peace.

https://www.thewrap.com/kobe-bryant-killed-in-calabasas-helicopter-crash/

kobe bryant

2 minutes ago, Jediwashington said:

How sad... I wonder if Williams will write something or perform dear basketball for the community. I imagine he is distraught as well. They seemed close.

Would be surprised if he doesn't do it again at Hollywood Bowl at least.

jesus, this hit me hard. I hated Kobe growing up beating my Blazers through the years, but I respected his work ethics and skill. Towards the end of his career, he went from a villain to hero to legend for me. To top it off, I would've never imagined in my wildest dreams he would work with my other hero John Williams. These two are the perfect example of game recognize game. This is just too devastating for me as a basketball fan. RIP.

And not to forget four other people are dead. This whole thing is tragic.

ABC News reported one or more (or all) of his daughters may have been on the helicopter which I am really hoping is not true. It seems to have been retracted. Not sure what to make of the Rick Fox rumors. This is always a scary period in any high-profile accident.

Edit: Apparently Fox is alive. 

He was 41, Gianna was only 13. Untimely deaths (celebrity or otherwise) are all the more crushingly sad because the world will never know what they could have done, what ways great or small the world might have improved, if they hadn't gone so soon. May everyone lost today rest in peace.

1 hour ago, woj said:

They say there was another player on the helicopter.

LeBron James has not tweeted for 17 hours.

Player from the camp, probably, not NBA. Plus their parent.

53 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

He was 41, Gianna was only 13. Untimely deaths (celebrity or otherwise) are all the more crushingly sad because the world will never know what they could have done, what ways great or small the world might have improved, if they hadn't gone so soon. May everyone lost today rest in peace.

Honestly was sorta curious what he was gonna do with his media/film company. I mean, if he could get Glen Keane and John Williams on the first short and then with an Oscar giving him some extra cred, seemed like he was serious about producing. I did wonder if that was going anywhere, especially if he wanted JW on another gig.

I don't follow basketball much and didn't realize LeBron passed Kobe in all-time scoring only yesterday. To read about Kobe's congratulatory messages, and see this quote:

“I don't know if people want that or want to have this kind of contentious thing where you don't want records to be broken or people there to surpass you,” Bryant told USA TODAY Sports. “You should be happy for the person that comes after you to be able to surpass things that you've done. It's kind of juvenile to think or to behave any other way.”

...reminds me that Kobe was a true class act as well as an amazingly talented athlete. This is just a terrible tragedy.

It's now being reported that 9 people died, up from the 5 earlier reported. :(

As to the original topic of this thread, part of me does wonder if this may get a release sometime soonish, as a sort of tribute to Kobe. Who knows.

12 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

There were two major helicopter crashes today, so the reports are getting a bit mixed up. 5 people died in one crash, and 4 died in another in Dubai. 

The LA County Sheriff just said in a press conference that 9 died in this plane helicopter crash...

3 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

The LA County Sheriff just said in a press conference that 9 died in this plane crash...

Plane crash? It was a helicopter crash. They didn't say it was a plane, did they? If they did, then they got their information wrong.

2 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Plane crash? It was a helicopter crash. They didn't say it was a plane, did they? If they did, then they got their information wrong.

Sorry, I misspoke. Helicopter crash. But yes, there were 9 people.

EDIT:

Just now, Tydirium said:

Strange how pretty much every "news" outlet has reported vastly different claims. One said Kobe's entire family was in the helicopter, another said some other famous basketball player was aboard. This is what happens when they prioritize speed over accuracy.

Yes. But nobody in the media misspoke and said plane crash; that was just me not thinking the moment I wrote my comment. But I do agree about the media at large, rushing to conclusions and misreporting. As for the 9 people thing, though, that claim is now more or less confirmed since the Sheriff came out and stated it in the official press conference about the crash. The media didn't seem to be saying 9 people until he revealed that bit of info.

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Actually one did:

lmao As someone who has actually been featured on that very news affiliate, I can tell you they are garbage muckrakers and no one takes them seriously.  I wouldn’t consider them representative of the media.

His legacy will always be tarnished by the rape allegations, but that was put behind him. He's a dad. 

I would like to have an original thought and say he was just entering the second part of his life, though. 

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

EDIT:

Good grief. This is tragic. :( RIP

The sexual assault case is still relevant as far as evaluating his status as a public figure/role model etc. but as far as today goes, this was a guy taking his daughter to basketball camp and they were killed en route along with multiple others. It's pretty much a nightmare.

A statement from JW himself on Kobe's passing in NY Times:

Williams said in a statement Sunday that Bryant’s death was “a terrible and immeasurable loss.”

“During my friendship with Kobe, he was always seeking to define and understand inspiration even while modestly, and almost unknowably, he was an inspiration to countless millions,” Williams said. “His enormous potential contribution to unity, understanding and social justice must now be mourned with him.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/sports/basketball/kobe-bryant-oscar-award.html

Edit: Oh, I see it was already posted in another thread, oh well...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2873276-john-altobelli-christina-mauser-died-in-helicopter-crash-along-with-kobe-bryant

Four other passengers have been identified as a college baseball coach, his wife and daughter, and an elementary basketball coach. 

Seems that the helicopter got caught in heavy fog and crashed into a mountain. 

I see that this has just been posted by The New York Times John Williams, 87, mourned Bryant’s passing in a statement to The New York Times, calling his death “a terrible and immeasurable loss.”During my friendship with Kobe, he was always seeking to define and understand inspiration even while modestly, and almost unknowably, he was an inspiration to countless millions,” Williams said. “His enormous potential contribution to unity, understanding and social justice must now be mourned with him.”