LOTR: Differences between the Complete Recordings and Regular Album Releases?

Jon Turner

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 1:12 AM, Chen G. said:

The Prophecy isn't on the CR.

The alternate Breaking of the Fellowship isn't on the CR.

The major-moded Lighting of the Beacons isn't on the CR.

Every single one of these pieces on its own is worth investing in the OST and the Fan-Credits rip. All of which isn't a slate against the CR, so much as it is a pointing out of some truly priceless supplementary material.

I completely disagree. All the pieces you listed are tracks I didn't like at all, but to each his own of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Shameless self-promotion here, but I have a relatively newly-made YouTube channel dedicated to LotR Score analysis.

I just recently finished the FotR CR, and is looking for some constructive criticism. And where better to go find it than here?

Check it out if you're interested! : )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbyg3ujMxvifnRRHFrlCvmg

Interesting, although I disagree that the hymn chords approximate an Old Bilbo theme. The hymn setting is essentially Frodo’s theme: Shore used to call it that in early interviews, actually.

Otherwise, this is great. Made me listen to the entire CR this morning, which is never a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Interesting, although I disagree that the hymn chords approximate an Old Bilbo theme. The hymn setting is essentially Frodo’s theme: Shore used to call it that in early interviews, actually.

The A Phrase, yes, but the B Phrase are always closely tied to Bilbo scene-wise.

It was one of the first truly odd things about reading Doug's book, that he several times identified the "wrong" chords as the Hymn Setting. It only made sense when splitting them up into two sections: The A Phrase (D-F#m-G-D, G-A-D-A) always used for Frodo (and Sam) and the B Phrase (Bm-G-A) almost always used for Bilbo. The B Phrase doesn't play for Frodo until in Moria.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

Otherwise, this is great.

Thanks, I've been lurking here for quite some time but didn't feel as if I had something to contribute.

13 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The Hymn Setting first plays when Bilbo talks about Frodo, though.

Going by Doug's writings, yes, but he doesn't mention that the exact same figure (vi-IV-V chords with rising harp arpeggios) is used in Very Old Friends, and a very similar one in Bag End (same chords with Hobbit Skip-Beat), both with explicit reference to Bilbo. Both times it deteriorates to minor when the Ring comes to focus, resembling The Pity of Gollum (vi-iv chords with rising arpeggio melody).

15 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Can we expect The Two Towers anytime soon?

There's plenty of stuff to do before I can start churning out TTT vids, so I wouldn't say earlier than March. Until then, I'm gonna go over the old vids and make some adjustments. Just from talking to you, I've noticed an error in the second video, though not what we talked about, so this is already working X D

I'm making a video right now about my ambitions for this project, which I hope to release next week.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2020 at 6:56 PM, Quintus said:

Oh really!

Good gracious, me!

Silly question, I know, but...do the "CRs" (which, now, appear to nothing of the kind) contain music from the EEs?

Where does the menus music come from? Was that written especially for the menus?

On 1/26/2020 at 9:02 PM, Jon Turner said:

I was curious about the differences between the Complete Recordings and the regular album releases for all three Lord of the Rings movies.  

The complete recordings have more music.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Silly question, I know, but...do the "CRs" (which, now, appear to nothing of the kind) contain music from the EEs?

Of course.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Where does the menus music come from? Was that written especially for the menus?

What menu are you referring to?

What DVDs?  The DVDs of the films themselves?  They pulled music from the scores.  They didn't commission Howard Shore to write music specifically for DVD menus :lol:

• 3 years later...

I'm completely amazed to discover today that there are only, what... 4 tracks in the OSTs of the trilogy that are exactly the same as the recorded material?

All the rest on the OSTs are heavily edited material. That's HUGE.

:o

Note: I can't wait for Jay to answer that pretty much all OSTs in this century are now heavily edited.

For a score as complex and huge as LotR? I'm not particularly surprised by that - Shore had to compress so much music into 75 or so minutes that most cues were bound to be too long to present in their entirety.

I mean, its not unusual for musical works to appear in cut forms, often sanctioned by the composer, including dropping movements from symphonic works, redacting scenes from operas, etc... that's ostensibly what the OST is, with the added perk that the OST gives us alternates that we wouldn't otherwise have.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

I'm completely amazed to discover today that there are only, what... 4 tracks in the OSTs of the trilogy that are exactly the same as the recorded material?

I'm not sure if you're aware, but pretty much all OSTs in this century are now heavily edited. ;)

30 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'm not sure if you're aware, but pretty much all OSTs in this century are now heavily edited.

Though you wouldn't be able to tell with their 2+ hour lengths...

On 02/03/2024 at 2:20 PM, Bespin said:

The editing shouldn't come as a surprise - they had a *lot* of time and money to record. Ignoring the trims made for the album, there are countless performance edits throughout the scores. The divergence between 'album' and 'film' versions likely came about as a result of differing digital workflows and tools (and Shore's personal preferences in some cases).

On 02/03/2024 at 6:22 PM, Richard Penna said:

For a score as complex and huge as LotR? I'm not particularly surprised by that - Shore had to compress so much music into 75 or so minutes that most cues were bound to be too long to present in their entirety.

In the case of Return of the King, recording continued well into November 2003, long after the album had to be finalised.