John Williams concert in Lørenskog, Oslo -- incl. world concert premieres of CHECKMATE & BACHELOR FLAT!

Thor

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's a nice selection of both regular concert pieces and quite many that's uncommon to hear at a JW concert! Did the band include a string section?

Not a section, but there was Aja Humm's violin. And then a contrabass in certain tracks. That's all I can remember.

Several of them are existing arrangements (there are several by Paul Lavender, for example), but I don't believe the two "rare" pieces were approved by Williams or anything. Knut basically had to construct arrangements from listening to the soundtrack, like Leigh Philips did on Goldsmith's THE SALAMANDER.

I have no idea. As I said, I don't know the going-ons behind the scenes. I'll let Nils elaborate on that. But with the hundreds of Williams concerts being performed all over the world at any given time, with all kinds of differents ensembles, I doubt all of them have specific permissions from the composer. Especially not ensembles like this that are primarily made up of non-professional performers.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So basically you're promoting a concert that was done without the composers concent and for which he was not compensated properly?

This happens all the time, also on recordings. Ref. City of Prague... I'd believe the composer is still compensated even though it's an arrangement of an original piece.

I'd guess even though he will not get paid a share of the nonexistent sheet music rental or purchase, he gets performance royalties from the usual performance rights organizations?

19 hours ago, First TROS March Accolyte said:

Stop trolling, Stefan, lol

Good job with the concert, @Thor. I hope we will get to hear these rare pieces if a recording exists!

I'm not trolling at all. I was just curious as to the nature of this concert.

We know Williams is particularl regarding his arrangements that have been prepared for the concert hall. 

2 hours ago, Biodome said:

It's so cool that you had a choir! I wonder how pieces like Duel of the Fates sounded. I've only ever heard the instrumental arrangements of that.

Actually, for that piece we combined the parts from the purely instrumental concert band version with the choral parts from the orchestral version. :)