Star Trek: Nemesis or Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

Cerebral Cortex

Star Trek: Nemesis or Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which score do you prefer?

• Star Trek: Nemesis
    • The Rise of Skywalker
  2. 2. Which score serves as a better send-off for the composer with their respective franchise?

• Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  3. 3. Which score do you feel overall provides new themes that you enjoy more?

4. 4. Which villainous theme do you prefer?

5. 5. Which film do you prefer?

• I have not seen both films.

With the release of The Rise of Skywalker, we finally get to hear Williams giving his final send-off to the Star Wars franchise. With it, one can't help but bring about comparisons to another composer and his send-off to another beloved space franchise. I speak, of course, of Goldsmith's Star Trek: Nemesis.

While the two scores differ in that, while Williams went into TROS knowing this would be his last Star Wars score, Goldsmith did not have the same benefit of going into Nemesis knowing this would be his last say on Trek. That said, both scores I feel work well as far as providing some sort of feeling of finality to these composers and their respective journeys with these franchises that they had been a part of for decades.

Listening to both scores, one can't help but feel, although perhaps imposed retroactively in the case of Nemesis, that the proverbial book is being shut by each composer. With Nemesis, we are hit with lovely numbers like this one...

...which see our emotional buttons being pressed in ways not identical but certainly not entirely dissimilar to what Williams gives us in TROS:

Alongside heightened emotions, the films bring new villainous motifs to the table:

Enough blabbing. Which score do you feel serves as a better send-off for the composer with their franchise?

35 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Goldsmith did not have the same benefit of going into Nemesis knowing this would be his last say on Trek.

He probably had a hunch.

nemesis.jpg

I'm going with Nemesis because I have more of a desire to relisten to it.

The stuff that needs to be excised for me is all the boring dark and disturbing underscore for the Shinzon scenes. But the familiar traditional romantic themes, Rambo III/Executive Decision-esque Argo parts, the pounding action material and the somber ending all hit the right notes for me. It's raw testosterone-fueled Goldsmith.

There should be more 'neither' options. I don't care particularly for either of the two films or scores, but if push came to shove, I would almost always go for STAR WARS.

I honestly don't remember Star Trek Nemesis all that well, but I'd gladly take The Rise of Skywalker every day.  Williams gave his all for this score, and it shows.  Goldsmith is super talented, and he's one of my favorites, but I don't remember his score for Nemesis all that well, sorry to say.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I'm sure Goldsmith didn't plan it as the final Star Trek score.

Yes, as I mention in the main post.

47 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's painfully obvious Nemesis will lose in every poll here.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why I thought it was gonna be closer for some reason.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

I can't vote in your poll because I have not seen both films.  Can you add an option for that?

I can't vote because I've only seen TROS once, then read lots of different comments on it and have no idea how I will like it after a second viewing.

Anyway, TROS on all other counts. Nemesis is the single Trek film score by Goldsmith I've never been particularly fond of.

I'm not much of a Trek person, something I will change as soon as I have time to delve into the franchise. I just have fleeting memories of my parents watching Nemesis on VHS when I was a child. My dad wasn't exactly a trekker, but he liked watching the shows on on cable once in a while. For some reason, my biggest memories of it is the programming of the Trek marathons on weekends: one episode of TOS on Saturdays at 3 pm, then one episode of TNG at 4 pm, DS9 at 5 pm and Voyager at 6 pm on a now defunct cable channel. On Sunday, the same episodes from the previous day, but starting at 12 pm.

About the poll, for TROS to be defeating Nemesis on which one is a better movie for such a wide margin, Jesus Christ, this movie must be really horrendous.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'm not much of a Trek person.

I've seen exactly zero Star Trek movies and never watched any of the series. The only thing I know are the five Jerry Goldsmith scores.

Nemesis isn't a bad movie, but it is a relentlessly mediocre one; it's no wonder it helped nearly destroy the franchise. 

The Rise of Skywalker is an abomination.  So much so that even though I know better, I voted Goldsmith over Williams on this one, because fuck that movie right into the ground.

Both are definitely bad "final" movies, but they're still entertaining. Still, Nemesis feels more like Trek than all the movies that came after it.

Not a fan of The Rise of Skywalker as a movie but still better than Nemesis. I would have voted for Nemesis if the question was "Which score is better represented in its movie?" 

On 1/28/2020 at 2:08 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

It's painfully obvious Nemesis will lose in every poll here.

Yes!!  Neverheard nemesis should win one of the greatest music ever written. In JWsite. What?? What would you get from that comment? Oh, one like from an idiot. 

1 hour ago, hornist said:

Yes!!  Neverheard nemesis should win one of the greatest music ever written. In JWsite. What?? What would you get from that comment? Oh, one like from an idiot

Speaking of which...

Star Trek Nemesis got all my votes.

Both score and film for Nemesis get too much flak.  Ya it's not that great of a film compared to First Contact and Insurrection but I MYSELF enjoy it.  The score though I for one enjoy ALL of it. I'm not sure why it gets a lot of flak from fellow Trekkies and Goldsmith' fans.

I for one enjoy Star Trek Nemesis both score and film more over Rise Of Skywalker.