Williams Radio Interview is a must listen.

JoeinAR

Its a wonderful chance to hear some significant thoughts by the maestro.

Its great.

Listen

Listen

Listen

Did I say you should listen

If I didn't please LISTEN

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I second that. It's very interesting and entertaining. I think it's cool how they had people call in to talk to him . . . WHERE WAS I DURING THIS INTERVIEW?!?!?!

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, it is a wonderful interrview. It's good to hear Williams given the oppurtunity to talk about various things. I loved the call-ins and how Williams got to voice his opinions and thank his fans. he seems to really care about the fans. I think if he knew about this little establishment here at JWFan that he'd be very "gratified" to use his word. I also loved when he was giving a running commentary of the scoring of the scene from Last Crusade. It just makes me wonder what a dvd commentary would be like, but that is a dream I know will never come true. But hey, I can always dream.

Ted

something else I like about the interview is

John has a most fantastic voice to listen too

something else I like about the interview is  

John has a most fantastic voice to listen too

Total agreement, Joe. I've always felt that way.

Ted

My absolute favorite, as a big fan of his Boston Pops years, the part when he talks about having to come to Boston and more from that. The other is the guy who says "you know the music from Star Wars, even if you don't like Star Wars" Heh heh.

LOL :)

I also loved when he was giving a running commentary of the scoring of the scene from Last Crusade. It just makes me wonder what a dvd commentary would be like, but that is a dream I know will never come true. But hey, I can always dream.

Williams has done this live at 2 concerts. He did it in January in Washington, D.C. and just recently in Boston. Eplicon, Mari and I got to see this in January and it was fantastic. It truly would make an excellent supplement on the DVD.

Neil

That was a great interview. I wasn't going to listen to it but after Joe said it was great, i decided to. It was very entertaining and has increased my respect for John Williams even more. I really liked the Last Crusade commentary and the discussion on Shindler's List.

I also loved when he was giving a running commentary of the scoring of the scene from Last Crusade. It just makes me wonder what a dvd commentary would be like, but that is a dream I know will never come true. But hey, I can always dream.

Williams has done this live at 2 concerts. He did it in January in Washington, D.C. and just recently in Boston. Eplicon, Mari and I got to see this in January and it was fantastic. It truly would make an excellent supplement on the DVD.

Neil

I think the scene was from the opening segment of Last Crusade, "Indy's Very First Adventure" (I might be wrong, as I only listened to a few snipets of the show, as I was recording it). Unfortunatelly, I think we won't have this sort of thing from Williams on DVD, as I remember him stating on a interview that he didn't found this sort of thing worth the interest of fans -- wich I may disagree with him, but that's the way he seems to think.

Its a wonderful chance to hear some significant thoughts by the maestro. / Listen / Did I say you should listen

If I didn't please LISTEN

I don't have a soundcard, so this "must-listen" is not destined for me. So please, anybody, just let me know if JW is still a life-wire, avid like never before for his future projects. I don't want to learn a word about his retirement or thoughts of sort. :-(

Roamn.-)

Then you will be somewhat dissapointed.

About 45 minutes into the interview Williams talks about the problems he has with the scoring schedules of films in this day and age, how he now has weeks to write a full 2 hour score, while in the old days he had 2 months to write a 60 minute one.

After finishing Ep II he is thinking of going into semi-retirement, only scoring films for Spielberg.

Stefancos- :devil:

I like the part when he is explaining one of the best action tracks he ever wrote: Indy's Very First Adventure. The snakes, the silence, the balletic rythm. Cool! :devil:

I didn't know F/X team collaborated with him. Interesting.

And talking about Schindler's List, he always tells the same story, but I love it:

"-Steven, you need a better composer than I am to score this film

-I know, but they are all dead!"

Have you noticed that when Williams talks about his happy director collaborations he mentions Chris Columbus, Oliver Stone, Spielberg, but he DOESN'T mention Lucas??? :devil:

Can anybody transfer it to mp3 or some other popular format? I installed REal player but it didnt worked well. And put in the site to download (if it is legit of course :devil: )

Can anybody transfer it to mp3 or some other popular format? I installed REal player but it didnt worked well. And put in the site to download (if it is legit of course :) )

I can get you a copy of what I recorded... if you can wait a couple of weeks for it.

Can anybody transfer it to mp3 or some other popular format? I installed REal player but it didnt worked well.

That is why I hate Real Media...

Neil

By the way, if I read the news section right, the "Evening at Pops" performance JW conducted in Boston to be aired later this summer included the 4-hand piano piece Eplicon, Neil and I heard at the D.C. concerts, and the "Last Crusade" section, so everyone will have the chance to hear and record them. Of course, we had the thrill of seeing and hearing them live. (Envy us! :) )

The interview was excelent, i loved the way he elaborated on the scouring process. I loved the way he commented on his other works. I loved the way he answered fan's question i just loved it. One only wishes that this was the way his dvd interviews were.

The interview was REALLY good. Very intellectual and insightful. It really gave you a good in-depth idea of the process of al aspects scoring a motion picture.

Creating the music and its themes, having to modify it to fit the action on screen perfectly, making midifications to fit a directors edits of a film,etc..

It had a very relaxed feel with the questions given and answered in a natural manner.

It reminded me of Charlie Rose. He is an interviewer than many Americans will know. Possibly some Europeans as well. He has one of the last great interview shows left out there. One that really focuses on getting to know the personlity. Not something like Leno which is all showbiz.

Overall that was very enjoyable! I hope we get to hear some more great interviews with John like this. :|

After finishing Ep II he is thinking of going into semi-retirement, only scoring films for Spielberg.

:cry:

Can anybody transfer it to mp3 or some other popular format? I installed REal player but it didnt worked well. And put in the site to download (if it is legit of course :eek: )

I can get you a copy of what I recorded... if you can wait a couple of weeks for it.

Miguel, could you make a copy for me as well? I can wait ages if the wait is worth it. I can play mp3 files on my DVD player. I'm terribly short of essential Williams' interviews. The only I have obtained so far (outside of the A.I. dvd's one) in mp3 format is a 2-minute "The Making of Duel of the Fates", but this brand new one seems like a most best so far. I'd give anything to have it.

Roman.-)

Hasn't it been this way since Schindler's List , afer all? He only scores Spielberg's movies and other projects he has an especial interest on, which are less and less as time goes by.

Hasn't it been this way since Schindler's List , afer all? He only scores Spielberg's movies and other projects he has an especial interest on, which are less and less as time goes by.

In contradiction to what I said in the above post, I wish it were this way from now on, Ender. Williams understands (and likes to symphonize) Spielberg's movies above all else, which is apparent after a few listens already, and devoting all his time to Spielberg movies might only be mutually rewarding.

At one of the above posts it was mentioned that scoring schedules are demanding. Perhaps the last time John Williams was allowed to work 6 days a week in an 4-month continuous compositional period was on The Phantom Menace (October '98 til January '99). I am not familiar with how long it usually takes a composer to write a full score to a film, but looking upon Horner's past with 8 scores during a twelve-month period, John Williams may need a bit more time than other composers in the biz. (Has anyone noticed Horner's scores sound often the same regardless of how much time he's been given to work on them?)

At this point I wanted to liken film composing to writing an equally large classical piece (a symphony), but it cannot be done for the sake of fairness. Writing for film is hindered by the demands of the movie (and sometimes flat-out marred by visions of a director), which makes writing for films at high pitch as set by old-age silver screen classic all the more troublesome and thus time-consuming. Still, Williams does a marvelous job even when time is ticking faster and think he belongs among the most dexterous of all time.

Roman.-)

I don't remember him saying that.

Ted, a little confused

He didn't say that. I think Steef is pulling some legs here.

Neil

Great interview, the score comentry, opinions about the current and past state of film music and studio orchestra's and the discussion of Herrmann.

I was much amazed to know that he played the piano on Herrmann's Twilight Zone (just recently fot the four cd set of that), and on Mancini's Breakfast on Tifanny's and The Pink Panther... The man as played on most major scores form the late 50's and early 60's!!!

I think the scene was from the opening segment of Last Crusade, "Indy's Very First Adventure"  

That part is "unreleased" music too if I'm not mistaken.Did Williams re-record the end of the circus train chase,or is he doing his comments from the Last Crusade Bootleg?

K.M.

I think the scene was from the opening segment of Last Crusade, "Indy's Very First Adventure"  

That part is "unreleased" music too if I'm not mistaken.Did Williams re-record the end of the circus train chase,or is he doing his comments from the Last Crusade Bootleg?

K.M.

Williams must have a complete recording of the sessions -- that's not a bootleg! A bootleg is if you try to release that unofficial!

And I got the idea they were watching the video... Have to listen again to the interview.

Can anybody transfer it to mp3 or some other popular format? I installed REal player but it didnt worked well. And put in the site to download (if it is legit of course :mrgreen: )

Miguel' date=' could you make a copy for me as well? I can wait ages if the wait is worth it. I can play mp3 files on my DVD player. I'm terribly short of essential Williams' interviews. The only I have obtained so far (outside of the A.I. dvd's one) in mp3 format is a 2-minute "The Making of Duel of the Fates", but this brand new one seems like a most best so far. I'd give anything to have it.

Roman.-)[/quote']

I you want some more interviews from and with the Maestro then you should check this site: http://mahawa.jw-music.net/start.htm

Go to the "Interviews" sub-page and you will find enough to download :jump:

I'll be most happy to provide this to others... Guess the better way would be to get it throght the internet, instead of cd trade... But this is quiet a large file -- I took out the two commercials, and this is 45 minutes long -- i.e. some 45 mb large at a 128 kb/sec rate.

K.M.

Williams must have a complete recording of the sessions -- that's not a bootleg! A bootleg is if you try to release that unofficial!

And I got the idea they were watching the video... Have to listen again to the interview.

Well, I listened again and the begining is the end of "Indy's Very First Adventure". Then this go into some unreleased music. But this isnt' a only music track, as you can hear the sfx and dialogue.