Danny Elfman's DARKMAN - NEW! 2020 2CD La-La Land Records edition

Jay

darkman-cover-Web.jpg

DARKMAN – 30th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1503
Music by Danny Elfman
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 31

Orders start 12 noon (pst) on 1/28 at www.lalalandrecords.com

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures, Universal Music Special Markets and Geffen Records celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the 1990 motion picture DARKMAN with a remastered and expanded 2-CD presentation of renowned composer Danny Elfman’s (BATMAN, BATMAN RETURNS, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS) original score. This beloved sci-fi/horror/action hybrid starring Liam Neeson, Francis McDormand and Larry Drake, and directed by Sam Raimi, marked the first collaboration between Raimi and composer Danny Elfman – a union that would continue to flourish, resulting in such notable scores as A SIMPLE PLAN, SPIDER-MAN, SPIDER-MAN 2, OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL).

DARKMAN finds Elfman in the period following his immortal, breakthrough BATMAN score, and here, he unleashes another gothic and expressionistic orchestral wonder – a tragic, haunting, brooding and darkly romantic musical deep dive that is rich in theme and brimming with classic film score motifs. DISC 1 of this anniversary presentation features a remaster of the original 1990 soundtrack assembly, while DISC 2 finally unleashes the expanded film score in all of its might! Produced by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk, and mastered by Matessino, this limited edition release of 3000 units features a bounty of previously unreleased music.

The releases’ exclusive, in-depth liner notes are by writer Daniel Schweiger and the robust art direction is by Dan Goldwasser.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1: ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
1. Main Titles 1:39
2. Woe, The Darkman...Woe 6:10
3. Rebuilding / Failure 3:16
4. Love Theme 0:56
5. Julie Transforms 1:11
6. Rage / Peppy Science 1:37
7. Creating Pauley 3:19
8. Double Durant 1:50
9. The Plot Unfolds (Dancing Freak) 7:01
10. Carnival From Hell 3:16
11. Julie Discovers Darkman 1:59
12. High Steel 4:18
13. Finale / End Credits 3:41
DISC 1 TOTAL TIME: 40:15

DISC 2: EXPANDED PRESENTATION
1. Intro / Three Fingers 2:56
2. Snip, Snip, Snip 1:42
3. Main Titles 1:41
4. Peppy Science (Film Version) 1:19
5. Persistence / Marry Me 0:42
6. Love Theme 1:00
7. The Model 1:41
8. One Hundred Minutes / Peyton Gets Tromped 2:17
9. Yakitito / The Big Bang 2:47
10. Julie Transforms 1:17
11. Hospital 0:39
12. Rage 0:29
13. Woe, The Darkman...Woe (Film Version) 6:17
14. Rebuilding / Failure (Film Version) 3:24
15. Waltz / Rage / First Blood 2:19
16. Creating Pauley 3:25
17. The Plot Unfolds (Dancing Freak) (Film Version) 6:25
18. Finger Stinger 1:48
19. False Durant 1:13
20. Durant Stinger / Durant in Trouble 2:02
21. Double Durant (Film Version) 1:54
22. Carnival From Hell (Extended Version) 4:06
23. Julie Discovers Darkman 2:03
24. Julie Stinger / City Stinger 0:59
25. Peyton On The Run 2:09
26. Darkman Stalks / Guzman’s Reveal 2:19
27. Chopper Spree 1:18
28. Shake Him 2:21
29. Durant Bites It / Dead, Not Dead? 1:44
30. High Steel (Extended Version) 5:57
31. Finale / End Credits 3:45

ADDITIONAL MUSIC
32. Yakitito / The Big Bang (Alternate) 2:52
DISC 2 TOTAL TIME: 77:00

TWO-DISC TOTAL TIME 1:57:15

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-1pzorc--ofcnl-ag4f6q7

Interesting.  So like the Dick Tracy expansion, I guess Elfman insisted that the OST be the "front and center" presentation, but unlike the Tracy cue dump fiasco, the producers were able to create an actual C&C assembly for the release.

I didn't even know this score (or film) existed until a few weeks ago. But compared to the OST release (and especially the bootlegs) that I've heard in the last couple weeks, the dynamic range of the samples is much better! It sounds like it could have been recorded not all that long ago, thanks to the infamous Matessino Touch™.

• 1 year later...

While I discover this score (on the Darkened Theater compilation vol. 1) and want it... I also make the discovery that it's OOR.

What's new!!!

Jeez, I did not recall this release getting no discussion at all on this board!  I would have sworn there was some decent discussion about it.

What happened?

I am sure many JWFans bought it.  Does anybody have any thoughts on it?

I like it, it's like a "cousin" to his Batman score.... very similar soundscape and style, but completely different melodies.  And since the melodies aren't nearly as legendary and memorable as Batman's, it will never be as good as that score.... but I still like it!

Personally, this isn’t a score I’ve felt super connected to in the past.  The new music is neat, but not essential, and I have no strong feelings about one program vs. the other.  I think the best stuff was probably all on the OST if you have that.

When I think of a cousin score to Batman I think of Dick Tracy before Darkman.  Like @mstrox this is one of those Elfman "Phase One"* scores that's never been a core favorite, though I do enjoy it every time I've listened (and I did get the LLL release).

*in my head I divide Elfman's film career into 3 phases (so far).  Phase One = '85-'93, Phase Two = '93-'05, Phase Three = '06 - present

I was hopeful at the time that the expansion would make me less apathetic about the score, but no dice.  Maybe if I see the movie someday I’ll have a greater appreciation for it.

Kind of in the same boat for me as Nightbreed, although I think I prefer that one to Darkman.

Grateful it’s released and in print anyway, since the OST was hard to find for some time.

• 9 months later...

I finally took the shrinkwrap off my copy this morning, and just finished listening to the first disc, which is just the old OST album and nothing else.

I've never been super familiar with this score or played it too many times, and this OST listen cemented the same thoughts I already had on the score: It's like a "cousin" of Batman's score, with a lot of the same textures and writing style - it even features a waltz!  It does go a bit more into his "kooky" sounds though, which I liked.  No choir though, which was a great part of Batman's score.

Next up, the expanded presentation on disc 2!

Oh wow, I really liked the expanded presentation more than the OST presentation!  Instead of zipping through all the score's ideas, it really took its time to explore them all.  This is a cool score!

I can't help but compare it to Batman since it shares so many similarities, and the expanded presentation didn't make up for what I felt is lacking in this score compared to Batman from the OST.  It's lacking that full gothic atmosphere that Batman brings out largely through use of choir (like Descent Into Mystery there) and this just doesn't have that; The only "choir" is some quick quirky outbursts that I assume are samples since there's no choir credited in the booklet.

And also the theme just isn't as memorable and iconic as Batman's.  But, what is here is still pretty good!  I haven't seen the film since it came out, so I want to revisit it now and then revisit this expanded presentation again.  So glad this came out!

Boy, we ended up watching the movie this weekend, and what a silly film it is!

On the one hand, I really admired a lot of the Raimi-kookiness present, including some random bits of over the top acting.  But on the other hand, it seems to want to be a film that could appeal to a wide audience, but kind of doesn't because of all that kookiness (my wife thought it was ridiculous)

It's a fun watch though, especially since its SUPER SUPER fast paced.  It jumps right from the act 2 climax into the act 3 climax with no buildup, and ends almost immediately after that.  The end credits are rolling like 90 minutes in

The viewing definitely helped me appreciate the score!  The kooky choir bits are for some of the montages of Liam Neeson going a little crazy.  I also don't think of the score as being that close to Batman with each subsequent listen, and the film is not really anything like Batman either.

Cools core, glad it got expanded!

• 2 months later...
On 09/01/2022 at 5:24 PM, Bespin said:

While I discover this score (on the Darkened Theater compilation vol. 1) and want it... I also make the discovery that it's OOR.

What's new!!!

La La Land just reissued it!

I GOT IT! I GOT IT!

• 4 months later...

AND THE FOLLOWING CDs WILL GO OUT OF PRINT ONCE STOCK SELLS OUT!

Get them at a great SALE price NOW while they last. Less than 300 of each of these left!!!!

ONLY $25 EACH:

DARKMAN (2-CD SET)

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151424&forumID=1&archive=0

• 1 month later...