Timpanist error in the Boston Pops "Flight to Neverland" recording?

Tydirium

Not really sure where else to post this, but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed that the timpanist plays this triplet figure seemingly one bar late? I checked the score as well as the LSO/Greenaway and LA Phil/Dudamel recordings (and even the same music in "Remembering Childhood"), and those are played as printed—the timpani at the same time as the low brass. Not sure if JW changed things on the fly while doing this piece with the Pops, and asked the timpanist to play it later as a sort of response to the low brass, or if the timpanist just flat-out came in late. Weird.

Hear for yourself, at 0:59:

This is very minor compared to the Pops’ recording of Parade of the Ewoks, where the timpanist gets ahead by many bars (probably accidentally skipped over a line in the part) and is loudly playing in the wrong key for quite a while!

7 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Not really sure where else to post this, but I was just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed that the timpanist plays this triplet figure seemingly one bar late? I checked the score as well as the LSO/Greenaway and LA Phil/Dudamel recordings (and even the same music in "Remembering Childhood"), and those are played as printed—the timpani at the same time as the low brass. Not sure if JW changed things on the fly while doing this piece with the Pops, and asked the timpanist to play it later as a sort of response to the low brass, or if the timpanist just flat-out came in late. Weird.

Hear for yourself, at 0:59:

This is the stupidest thread I've read in a long while.  It was played exactly as written and this stupid thread should be deleted or placed in the "I wanted to hear the work differently than how it was written" thread.

jw2.jpg

24 minutes ago, karelm said:

This is the stupidest thread I've read in a long while.  It was played exactly as written and this stupid thread should be deleted or placed in the "I wanted to hear the work differently than how it was written" thread.

jw2.jpg

You're incorrect @karelm. The recording clearly has the timpani come in a full bar after where it's written. It's supposed to double the low brass in the third bar of that excerpt (E E E A), but in the recording comes in at the next bar (bar 38 for those playing at home).

I don't think it sounds bad, and it may have been an intentional change from the podium. But spare the snark will you.

2 hours ago, karelm said:

jw2.jpg

...Whoa, why the snarky attitude? :blink: And the fact that you even made this image shows that you aren't understanding/listening to my point: I WANT the triplet to be played where it's written. But in the Pops recording, it's actually played a bar later than that. Did you even read my initial post? You pointed to the wrong spots and were wrong on both counts:

1. I did not want the triplet there in bar 36 as you pointed to; I wanted it in bar 37 as written.

2. It was not played there in bar 37 where written; it was played in bar 38—one bar late.

I would say to just crank up the volume or use better headphones, but based on your comment and that image it seems like you don't even know what I'm saying... Where did I ever say I want it played earlier than written?

1 hour ago, Docteur Qui said:

You're incorrect @karelm. The recording clearly has the timpani come in a full bar after where it's written. It's supposed to double the low brass in the third bar of that excerpt (E E E A), but in the recording comes in at the next bar (bar 38 for those playing at home).

I don't think it sounds bad, and it may have been an intentional change from the podium. But spare the snark will you.

Thank you. I don't really think it sounds bad, either! I always just assumed it was a change made for the concert version, until I noticed that other recordings of the concert version feature the timpani in the same spot as it is in "Remembering Childhood" (and the printed score). Even the video of Williams conducting this piece with the Pops has the timpanist (possibly the same guy) coming in at the right time, so I'm not sure what exactly happened with the recording. But either way, thanks for your comment.

The funny thing about timpani is that basically everyone else in the orchestra has someone seated next to them they can turn to if they get lost, but the timpanist is always on their own. And it’s often quite noticeable if they do!

10 hours ago, Drew said:

There's a wrong note in TLJ. They're playing a D Minor chord and a trombone plays a loud A-Flat.

Never noticed that, and now will never be able to unhear it.  Haha.  Along the lines of Star Wars flubs, this isn't a flub with the brass right?  I'm sure it's intentional, but it's an interesting effect where they sound slightly out of sync.