Question about scores for TDOS and TBOTFA

Jon Turner

I noticed that there was an interesting thread on which cues on the soundtrack album for An Unexpected Journey were in the actual film and which were not, in addition to tracked cues.  I hadn't realized a lot of the music for AUJ didn't make it into the film.  I wonder if similar circumstances occurred for The Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies?  I'm curious to know which cues on both albums are identical to their film counterparts and which ones are not.

The finale of Desolation was definitely recorded in sections because the final setpiece wasn't even close to being finished.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

The finale of Desolation was definitely recorded in sections because the final setpiece wasn't even close to being finished.

Yes they "striped" the performances, meaning they recorded all the different sections of the orchestra separately so they could edit and mix them as need be since the Erebor finale was in flux up to the last minute. 

Also I wrote a lengthy track-by-track analysis on An Unexpected Journey in the Reviews section of this message board which covers the Special Edition soundtrack of AUJ and deals with the unused and alternate music for the first film. I just need to find time and energy to write something similar for the two sequels one of these days.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

Yes they "striped" the performances, meaning they recorded all the different sections of the orchestra separately so they could edit and mix them as need be since the Erebor finale was in flux up to the last minute. 

Also I wrote a lengthy track-by-track analysis on An Unexpected Journey in the Reviews section of this message board which covers the Special Edition soundtrack of AUJ and deals with the unused and alternate music for the first film. I just need to find time and energy to write something similar for the two sequels one of these days.

and the other Potter reviews you lazy so and so

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

I did see that thread.  It was very detailed and informative.  I was looking for similar ones for Desolation of Smaug and Battle of the Five Armies out of curiosity for the differences.

• 2 months later...

There is considerably less unused music in films two and three. Notable pieces include the original version of the Azanulbizar flashback from the prologue of Smaug (replaced with tracked material), and the complete Fire and Water from Five Armies (heavily edited and partially dialled out in the final film).

Is Howard Shore allowed to release a Rarities disc of Hobbit music on his Howe Records label?  Since the OSTs all came out on WaterTower Records, which is owned by WB the film studio (so WB the record label isn't involved), there are no 3rd party mechanical rights to worry about.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is Howard Shore allowed to release a Rarities disc of Hobbit music on his Howe Records label?  Since the OSTs all came out on WaterTower Records, which is owned by WB the film studio (so WB the record label isn't involved), there are no 3rd party mechanical rights to worry about.

My guess -- and this is only a guess, having not seen the contracts -- is that Howe would be able to do a Rarities album, but only WaterTower would be able to do expanded editions.  

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Time to curate up a nice disc and present it to Howard and see what he thinks!

Why not a box set of rarities? We can assemble the complete recordings with them....:P