Another Star Trek film in the works, by Noah Hawley

Edmilson

That sounds completely possible to me, though there's definitely no reason to believe it until it "hits the mainstream news" or gets some other sort of supporting evidence.

Parts sound plausible, but it kind of winds up reading a bit like the whole #ReleaseTheJJCut thing. Crafted to 'appease' enraged 'fanboys'.

11 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Latest rumor:

hawley-trek-dead.jpg

Thought the more I read this, the more fishy it reads. But I’m not sure why someone would make this up (unless to troll “old school Trek fans”).

This sounds so stupid so it must be true.  Sorry, just really cynical these days when it comes to Star Trek.

• 3 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

The franchise exploiting is going too far too fast. Nobody needs all of it, and it devalues the brand. 

Agreed. Being the Trekkie I am I love Star Trek a lot but there is such a thing as TOO much Star Trek. The market is over saturated with Star Trek now just like it is with Star Wars.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon Pegg Blames Studio for Hurting ‘Star Trek’ Films, Casts Doubt on New Movies

"They don't make Marvel money," Pegg says of the "Star Trek" movies.

While the “Star Trek” franchise continues to stir up buzz on television thanks to the CBS All Access series “Star Trek: Discovery” and “Star Trek: Picard,” the fate of the space franchise on the big screen remains an uncertainty. There hasn’t been a “Star Trek” film since 2016’s “Star Trek Beyond,” which failed to cross the $400 million mark at the worldwide box office. In a recent interview with GamesRadar+ and Total Film, Simon Pegg casts doubt on the future of “Star Trek” as a film franchise. Pegg has starred as Montgomery Scott (“Scotty”) since J.J. Abrams’ 2009 “Star Trek” reboot, and the actor even co-wrote “Beyond” with fellow screenwriter Doug Jung. Pegg says the “Star Trek” films aren’t earning enough money to guarantee a future.

“The fact is, ‘Star Trek’ movies don’t make Marvel money,” Pegg told the magazine. “They make maybe $500 million at the most, and to make one now, on the scale they’ve set themselves, is $200 million. You have to make three times that to make a profit.”

“Star Trek Beyond” earned favorable reviews from critics, with many saying director Justin Lin delivered a rebound after Abrams’ divisive “Star Trek Into Darkness.” Pegg says Paramount is partly to blame for “Beyond” underwhelming financially because the studio failed to market the film as effectively as it could have. “Beyond” opened during “Star Trek’s” 50th anniversary year, but Pegg says that was missing from the movie’s marketing plan.

“They didn’t really take advantage of the 50th anniversary,” Pegg says. “The regimen at the time dropped the ball on the promo of the film. And we’ve lost momentum. I think losing Anton [Yelchin] was a huge blow to our little family, and our enthusiasm to do another one might have been affected by that. So I don’t know.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/03/simon-pegg-doubts-star-trek-movies-marvel-money-1202214763/

Does anyone even like the newer films here? I was always told Beyond was supposed to be the good one, so I can't be think it's the usual "forum hates anything Hollywood does now" shtick.

Beyond is the only Star Trek movie I've only seen once (at the theatre). Ever since my second watch-through of Into Darkness, I've hated Star Trek and myself.

46 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Does anyone even like the newer films here? I was always told Beyond was supposed to be the good one, so I can't be think it's the usual "forum hates anything Hollywood does now" shtick.

I don't. I have no interest in movies with actors imitating the original cast. There's only one Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Scotty etc. and they already had a successful long-running movie series.

Star Trek Into Dark and Disturbingness insulted a lot of fans not just because it was a crappy movie, but because they replaced the iconic beloved flamboyant Ricardo Montalban Khan with a boring monotone British guy. Like Riker once said when Troi slashed his face with her nails, what is this?!

I flicked off Beyond after 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Yes, I do, and Beyond is my favourite of the three.

Beyond was the first that felt like a real Star Trek movie to me.

The first was just a set-up. A good set-up, but a set-up all the same.

Into Darkness doesn't feel Star Trek at all.

Haven't a clue what they were smoking when they came up with that one.

At least Beyond went out trekking amongst the stars.

And the characters interacted in ways that felt like the characters they were meant to be.

I liked especially the opening where they were just out in space, doing their thing.

It still confuses me why that doesn't happen more often in the films...

Wow just wow. Nothing about beyond felt like Star Trek to me. It felt anti-star trek. 

36 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Wow just wow. Nothing about beyond felt like Star Trek to me. It felt anti-star trek. 

I'd have thought that about Into Darkness, really.

Different people, eh?

I hate the kelvin films but beyond was for me the worst. 

I wonder why.

From my side, that motorcycle chase and Beastie Boys song blowing stuff up definitely seemed bizarre to say the least.

I could've done without that.

And I didn't like blowing up the Enterprise yet again.

That happens a bit too often for my liking.

But I liked the exploration at the beginning, the camraderie and the spacey-ness of that Yorktown base.

After two semi-Earth-based films, being so far on the edges of Federation space felt oddly liberating.

On 2/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, Trent B said:

Star Trek is was NOT junk.

Star Trek was good and sometimes great. The CBS shows aren't doing any favors to the franchise (from what I've seen). Maybe I should give Picard some more views, but I had no interest going on after watching the pilot and a preview of upcoming episodes. And Discovery was nonsense.

I'm all for a re-rejuvenation of the series that hearkens back to TOS, TNG, even DS9 & Voyager.

Discovery got better and better. Season 2 was exceptional Star Trek at times. Picard just gets better with each episode. Data, 7, Hugh, Riker, Mrs Riker, Sela all make it fun.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Two Trek films currently in the works, of which Hawley’s is the more sure:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the-wrath-of-khan-producer-concept-new-star-trek/

The story mentions (without citation) that Hawley’s film is “set in the Kelvin Universe,” but last we heard that is not the case.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pellaeon said:

Noah Hawley's 'Star Trek' on the Back Burner at Paramount

Apparently Hawley Trek was about a pandemic. Sorry, buh-bye.

Ouch.

I think they should try and rekindle the Kelvin flame and get the actors back on board, both Hemsworth and Pine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...