John

Kirk Douglas has died

His survival so far into the 21st century was a source of my amazement for quite some time. I think he had a good life.

Well played.

P.S. Do you think there is a forum where people only post "who has died" topics? Some sort of ObituaryFan? That would be a most peculiar society!

RIP Mr. Douglas :(

I've only seen him in The Fury and 20000 Leagues Under the Seas, but the latter was one of those movies I watched over and over in my childhood. 

10 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Last of the legends.

As pointed out before, Olivia de Havilland is untouchable IMO in the little informal contest of "greatest surviving legend of Hollywood" :worship:

I have never seen a Kirk Douglas performance.. looking at his entire filmography, his Simpsons episode is the only thing he's done I've seen.

I've seen a bunch of Kirk Douglas movies, but he has a fond place in my memory because of two movies: Paths of Glory and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.   For the latter in particular, I had the good 'ol Disney clamshell VHS that I watched over and over.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

I have never seen a Kirk Douglas performance.. looking at his entire filmography, his Simpsons episode is the only thing he's done I've seen.

Start with his hammy performance in The Man From Snowy River.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Do yourself a favor and see Lonely Are the Brave. Amazing Goldsmith score (my favorite of his feature scores), and quite arguably the best film he ever scored. Really powerful, and my favorite Kirk Douglas performance (also Kirk Douglas's own favorite of all his roles). Both film and score are absolute masterpieces, and my appreciation for the score increased tenfold when I finally saw the film. Also... Gena Rowlands deserves a mention -- not only a truly powerful performance from her as well, but she is absolutely BREATHTAKING in this movie.

Yavar