How long is your commute?

Pellaeon

How much time do you spend in the car each day? Do you tailor albums/playlists to the length of your car ride? Do you get irritated if you have to stop listening in the middle of the programme (or just before the Finale) because you arrived at work/home?

45 minutes each way 4 times a week (work from home the 5th day)

Listen to podcasts 85% of the time, film music 10% of the time, flip around to see what's on XM 5% of the time

15-30 minutes in the morning, and 30-40 minutes home - variable based on traffic.

i just throw on whatever I’m listening to - a new album or a podcast.  In the rare occasion that I take my breaks friendless, I walk around the city listening to the same. Then when I get back in the car, I plug back in and continue.  If I’m out of new albums and podcasts, I hit shuffle and go through whatever old stuff is on my device.

I take the bus as well, and it takes from 50 minutes to 1h15m to get to work from home and vice versa.

And I don't like listening to music while on the bus, I prefer when I'm on the computer at work or home.

About 20 mins each way. I choose a random album before each journey. Choosing something with exciting action not always a good idea.

I drive a lot on Saturdays with my walking group and I can often fit in a short album each way to those.

I've had a licence for 22 years, but I've only driven some 5-6 times. I've never owned a car, and probably never will. I hate driving!

I get around by walking, bicycling or, if necessary, public transportation. I never listen to music, however, as I prefer to have all my senses intact when I move about in public. The only exception is for long-haul travels, like the 4-5 hour bus drive down south to my hometown. In those circumstances, I've found that orchestral music rarely works (film music or otherwise), as the dynamic range is too great, and the lower parts are often swallowed by external noise (regardless of my excellent headphones). So I tend to play other things instead -- goa, psytrance, synthwave, rock, pop, that kind of stuff. Not too loud, though -- I have tinnitus, after all!

Only thing about public transit I can't stand is all the bums stinking and cluttering it up. You can't go anywhere in southern California without being surrounded by bums left and right. I'm probably going to start wearing a mask on buses because these people smell like Satan's asshole.

5 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Only thing about public transit I can't stand is all the bums stinking and cluttering it up. You can't go anywhere in southern California without being surrounded by bums left and right. I'm probably going to start wearing a mask on buses because these people smell like Satan's asshole.

I know public transportation in the US (and Southern California, especially) is lacking in several departments compared to many other countries, but I have to say I managed to get around pretty well when I was in LA in 2012 without a car. I took the bus back and forth from Hollywood Boulevard to Santa Monica pretty easily (although I had to research where the actual bus stops were, and the times, because this isn't marked very well in the streets). Very few, if any bums to see. Mostly tourists like myself, actually.

But in San Diego, the bus I was supposed to take to the airport didn't show up, so I had to wait for the next one and barely, just barely made the flight. It's a gamble, but it does work if you hate driving, or want to do low cost.

Drive about 30-40 mins one way. Can be 45 mins if traffic is too high.

I listen to WNYC public radio which typically runs NPR or BBC programs. I am a news fiend so I can't imagine listening to music on weekdays which driving. Weekends I might put on a few tracks. Somtimes if the news is dull, I do put on music too.

For decades I listened to news radio, but now it’s all audiobooks and music, usually the one in the morning and the other on the way home. “Art of the Score” is the first podcast I’ve gotten into; not sure what else is out there that I would like.

I don’t miss the news one whit.

If I am working at my base location my commute can be anything from one hour at best (if I am lucky with all of my connections) to one and a half hours (on a bad day) each way.  However, I don't listen to music on my usual commute, partly because I prefer to have my wits about me on public transport and partly because my usual journey consists of five separate legs - two buses and three trains - so I am changing between different modes of transport quite frequently and I want to be able to hear the various announcements on the Tube, the bus and at stations.

In the mornings I prefer to read the free paper, while in the evenings I like to read on my phone what all you reprobates have written about John Williams on the interweb while I have been hard at work.  I sometimes listen to music on longer distance train journeys outside London, for example if I am working in another city or going to watch a football match somewhere, but I do most of my music listening at home.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I drive a lot on Saturdays with my walking group.

I think you might be missing the basic concept of a walking group there, Richard!

5 minutes ago, Omen II said:

If I am working at my base location my commute can be anything from one hour at best (if I am lucky with all of my connections) to one and a half hours (on a bad day) each way.  However, I don't listen to music on my usual commute, partly because I prefer to have my wits about me on public transport and partly because my usual journey consists of five separate legs - two buses and three trains - so I am changing between different modes of transport quite frequently and I want to be able to hear the various announcements on the Tube, the bus and at stations.

Yikes! Now THAT'S a proper commute!

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yikes! Now THAT'S a proper commute!

Tell me about it!  It's not actually particularly far as the crow flies, but just a really awkward cut across London without a direct route from where I live to where I work.  I've been able to cycle it quicker than it takes on public transport or driving, which tells you all you need to know about rush hour traffic.

15 minute bus ride to the city, 10 minute bus ride or 20 minute walk to uni, I prefer to walk, same backwards. The bus schedule puts a lot more on it (for example I either have 40 minutes to wait before the morning class, or I'd be 20 minutes late with the next bus), but that gives me plenty of time to listen to whatever score I want to and stop it at convenient stopping points to continue when heading home or the next day.

30 minutes on a bicycle, same time with public transport (which consists of one third walking and two thirds on either bus or tram, plus the subway). I used to take the bike on most days, but rarely do nowadays (I really should get back to it). On the bike, I used to listen to music for a while (only at a volume that wouldn't distract me from traffic noises), but at some point I got too lazy to do that. On public transport I either nap or read a book (or the internet).

Just under an hour from South West to East London via bus/tube/bus, four days a week (WFH on the fifth).

Podcasts 75% of the time, and music the rest.

Williams is my go to for deck writing or other such!

25 mins in the morning, 35 on the way home - I just plug in my walkman to the car stereo and listen to something - lots of Anime music lately.

Since last October, I've been working at home but in the 15 years prior to that, I've had to drive anywhere from 15 minutes to one hour to get to work or home (so in one direction). While driving, I always listen to either film music, classical, jazz or prog metal.

Currently I've got about a 10-minute drive to work, unless traffic gets really bad. It's short enough that I almost never listen to anything in the car during my commute. Longer drives to other places are a totally different story - unless I'm in the mood for silence, I'll pick an album or playlist, or simply turn on shuffle. (Actually, I have a Shuffle playlist that I use to balance out the listening experience. Things like the TOS box set just have so many dang tracks that they come up constantly in shuffle otherwise.)

20 minutes from home to park and ride center, followed by a 30-50 minute (traffic variations) bus ride to town,then a 5 minute walk to the train station,  then a 15 minute train ride.

Twice a day.  4 days a week.

If I could just fit a plane ride with John Candy in there....

53 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Walkman? :eh:

The 2018 walkman is a media player, like an mp3 player! Although I guess I could run the aux cable through my old CD walkman!

A 12 minute walk. And I sometimes even have time to listen a few pieces of music on the way to work.

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

20 minutes from home to park and ride center, followed by a 30-50 minute (traffic variations) bus ride to town,then a 5 minute walk to the train station,  then a 15 minute train ride.

Twice a day.  4 days a week.

If I could just fit a plane ride with John Candy in there....

Funny enough, I was just talking to my friend about that. Our speedometer has melted and as a result it's very hard to see with any degree of accuracy exactly how fast we were going.

That movie is hilarious :lol:

42 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Funny enough, I was just talking to my friend about that. Our speedometer has melted and as a result it's very hard to see with any degree of accuracy exactly how fast we were going.

That movie is hilarious :lol:

That it is!

12 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

What's wrong with a Walkman?

Nothing. Not everyone lives in an urban center with excellent Wi-Fi connectivity or has an adequate data plan for unlimited streaming.