The Adventures of Tintin - Score Only Scenes

TheUlyssesian

Wonderful job, greatly appreciated. Just one thought, though: I think the descening piano passage you hear at the 3:18 of your video here:

Is probably meant to underscore that immediate shot that follows of Haddock gliding down the rope, so probably so very minor editing was done to the sequence. But great job synching up all the sword thrusts and hits with the music, it was clearly JW's intention

Awesome work! While I appreciate this score for its energy and how closely knitted to the movie the music is, it isn't a soundtrack I return to often. It gives me the impression of a lighter Indiana Jones score.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

A wonderful film, and one of my favourite Williams scores from this century.

I totally agree.

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Awesome work! While I appreciate this score for its energy and how closely knitted to the movie the music is, it isn't a soundtrack I return to often. It gives me the impression of a lighter Indiana Jones score.

In contrast to this, this is the soundtrack from the 2010s I return most to because it is so endlessly entertaining and full of little details. My kids love it also, so this was playing during car trips more often than I can count.

On 2/7/2020 at 9:33 PM, Romão said:

Wonderful job, greatly appreciated. Just one thought, though: I think the descening piano passage you hear at the 3:18 of your video here:

Is probably meant to underscore that immediate shot that follows of Haddock gliding down the rope, so probably so very minor editing was done to the sequence. But great job synching up all the sword thrusts and hits with the music, it was clearly JW's intention

Thanks! I figured since the twinkly piano has the descending feeling it might score the sinking ship. And I used the action theme for Sir Francis' heroics.

• 1 month later...

I love this music since my first listening. JW composed music totally different from the Pirates of the Caribbean. He's a real genius. I couldn't imagine that it was possible to move away from Zimmer style. I enjoy those little resemblances with Elfman's Batman theme and The Unicorn motif and sparkle warbling from Mission Impossible in Dueling Pirates track (Expanded Score). 

10 hours ago, Ricardo Mortimer said:

JW composed music totally different from the Pirates of the Caribbean. He's a real genius. I couldn't imagine that it was possible to move away from Zimmer style.

Cutthroat Island. ;)

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The movie I actually thing is fantastic as well. Very well done adventure story with Spielberg showing enormous spirit and dexterity in the staging of several sequences.

Very much so!

One of my favourite films.

I don't think there's a single other one so jam-packed with full-blown adventure.

Infinitely better than a certain fourth film in another series...

I get the impression Williams isn't big on delivering what people expect.

He already wrote the Raiders March.

Why do it again?

Same with a First Order March in the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

2 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I get the impression Williams isn't big on delivering what people expect.

He already wrote the Raiders March.

Why do it again?

Same with a First Order March in the Star Wars sequel trilogy.

Anthem of Evil counts IMO

It's a common argument in the comment section on movie sites: Williams did not write music like Duel of the Fates!!! Honestly, he didn't have the opportunity, without epic duel can not be new epic music. Blame JJ for that not Williams. Blame JJ for whole sissy sequel trilogy. I would like to hear Lucas's opinion on Williams' sequel music. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for this gift! Actually a pretty funny scene, I had forgotten all about it. How difficult for a composer to convey danger, excitement, and humor all at the same time. I think Williams has a good sense of WHEN to use mickey-mousing, for moments where the action needs emphasis.

On 3/23/2020 at 4:45 AM, Ricardo Mortimer said:

The audience is listening, you know. Everyone expected the new Raider's March. Williams didn't deliver it.

The frustrating thing is that Williams did deliver it--he just did not give it a workout in the end credits or give us a concert version.  

13 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

This cue is chopped up in the film.  Also the film version has an extended insert that ruins the propulsion of the cue which is very tightly constructed.

So tracked music, or looping then.

13 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

NEW!!!

3rd Video - Flight to Bagghar a.k.a astonishingly fast-paced and "drunk" action music

We've seen highlights of the Unicorn theme and Tintin's theme. Now comes the chance for Haddock's theme to shine. In this standout action cue, a drunk out of his mind, Captain Haddock saves the day with some extremely inebriated heroics. Williams scores from a psychological point of view, as there is all the fast-paced frenzy of a perilous flight through a storm but also the music itself seems to get "drunk" as Haddock gets drunk. Haddock's theme assumes center stage and goes through several variations as the cue progresses.

This cue is chopped up in the film. The magnificent "swaying sea shanty" motif for Haddock actually drinking the alcohol at 0;50 is dialed out in the film for sound effects! Also the film version has an extended insert that ruins the propulsion of the cue which is very tightly constructed.

Editing wise I have matched the film to Williams' original cue length so some editing was required. I have pulled off one major coup in editing. I hope someone notices it!

Syncing wise, Williams outdoes himself. People might call it mickey-mousing but the music is so perfectly matched to the picture that even without dialog and sound effects, you can completely follow the scene only by listening to the music. It literally reflects every single thing that happens on screen! A very entertaining a thrilling action cue.

It's cool to have the scene with just the music. I do have a suggestion. While this edited version does work, it removes the two pilots who are tied up in the back. What happened to them? They comically jump out of the plane. That "extended insert" is part of the original sequence; there was more propulsive moments in that section. That section of music was micro-edited out of the OST track.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

So tracked music, or looping then.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:23 AM, JohnnyD said:

It's cool to have the scene with just the music. I do have a suggestion. While this edited version does work, it removes the two pilots who are tied up in the back. What happened to them? They comically jump out of the plane. That "extended insert" is part of the original sequence; there was more propulsive moments in that section. That section of music was micro-edited out of the OST track.

so yes - the coup I referred to was editing out the pilots who jump out. 

And this is my theory - after listening countless times to the ost track and the film version which I have on bootleg.

The film version suddenly dissipates all momentum and gets caught up in all these inserts that do not belong.

i think originally, the pilots did not jump out. That was a late addition. So when the pilots  jumping out was added for whatever reason, it killed the cue. So Williams has to write this extended insert that had to be stuck in the middle of the original music to make it fit to the picture.

So the insert wasn’t micro edited OUT for the ost, it was tracked IN for the film edit.

so I have tried to restore the scene to Williams’ original music. And just taking out the pilots, the music seems to work pretty well for the picture.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

so yes - the coup I referred to was editing out the pilots who jump out. 

And this is my theory - after listening countless times to the ost track and the film version which I have on bootleg.

The film version suddenly dissipates all momentum and gets caught up in all these inserts that do not belong.

i think originally, the pilots did not jump out. That was a late addition. So when the pilots  jumping out was added for whatever reason, it killed the cue. So Williams has to write this extended insert that had to be stuck in the middle of the original music to make it fit to the picture.

So the insert wasn’t micro edited OUT for the ost, it was tracked IN for the film edit.

so I have tried to restore the scene to Williams’ original music. And just taking out the pilots, the music seems to work pretty well for the picture.

The Flight to Bagghar is "3m17a The Plane Ride", there are no inserts listed in the cue list.

22 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. That section of the cue is NOT an insert. Nothing here sounds edited in at all. I compared this to the album track, and there is some micro-editing.

11_The_Flight_to_Bagghar.m4a 7.91 MB · 3 downloads

I also hear some choppy edits in your track. I guess there are edits in both the OST and the cue as played in the movie, pretty usual.

But I agree with @TheUlyssesian, the OST cue sounds good and natural, and this video edit matches wonderfully, good job on this.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

I also hear some choppy edits in your track. I guess there are edits in both the OST and the cue as played in the movie, pretty usual.

But I agree with @TheUlyssesian, the OST cue sounds good and natural, and this video edit matches wonderfully, good job on this.

I can assure you that there are NO edits of any kind in that track. That is the entire cue as composed and conducted. I certainly do not hear any choppy edits.

Don't get me wrong, the album track is fine, and the micro-edits are not noticeable. Still...

• 3 weeks later...

@TheUlyssesian great job with the video, I really enjoyed watching it, and you did a great job making it!  Videos like this always so super useful in understanding the role the music was meant to play in a production, which can often get so buried in the final mix!

I also think your theory of inserts ruining an original pace and momentum, etc, are a quite clever theory, but unfortunately @JohnnyD and @The River (Fal) are correct; This cue had no later inserts written or anything.  This scene was never scored during the  early scoring sessions, only the final sessions, and it was 3M17A The Plane Ride at a length of 4:13.  Williams simply chose to edit parts of it out when crafting the OST version, which ended up in a 3:33 length and retitled The Flight To Bagghar.

Now, I have no idea if all the music you hear in the final film under the scene is entirely that original recording; Spielberg might have replaced parts of what JW wrote with music tracked in from other scenes, I haven't studied it.  But the point is, those pacing and momentum issues you talk about are probably precisely why he shortened the cue down for the album, because keeping the pace up makes a more exciting action track!

I actually think there is merit to making videos like these, which sync to album tracks; You hear nothing but nice clean music, and music that's been crafted for listening outside the film in mind, and you can still see the video to know what it was all meant for.  If we had access to a recording session leak of the full cue as JW recorded it that'd be one thing, but when you have to start ripping music out of a film and sound effects and dialogue come with it, that doesn't make for as nice videos as the one you made.

So again, great job!

A recording session leak would be great for us to understand how it was shaped. I really hope it leaks one day.

In any case, the music works wonderfully in the movie, and these videos are helpful to highlight that.

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

@TheUlyssesian I’d love to see a restoration of ‘Clash of the Cranes’, in particular, if you’re up for making more of these! If not, I might make an attempt.

Well that ain't of my favorite cues so go for it. I might do one for Pursuit of the Falcon but not Clash.

On 20/04/2020 at 6:57 PM, JohnnyD said:

I can assure you that there are NO edits of any kind in that track. That is the entire cue as composed and conducted. I certainly do not hear any choppy edits.

Don't get me wrong, the album track is fine, and the micro-edits are not noticeable. Still...

If I could get smacked by a radioactive baton and develop a JWFan superpower, the ability to discern micro-edits is the first one I'd pick.

And "Pursuit of the Falcon" is both an awesome scene and an awesome track.  I'd love to see @TheUlyssesian breathe new life into it like he did for these three!  Those sync points were a revelation.