Happy Birthday Maestro @88

Amer

24 minutes ago, Amer said:

[...] just saw this on [...] Sony Classical page [...]

I have to admit, this made me laugh quite a bit!

(on second thought it's hard to believe oO)

All the best to the one and only Maestro John Towner Williams!

I wish for him to experience a very good year.

Three weeks ago we already experienced the most amazing birthday party Vienna had to offer, so what are you going to play at proper Musikverein volume levels today?

I have not decided yet, since it will be spontaneous,

will tell you afterwards though...

Have a nice, special day!

Martin

14 minutes ago, Quintus said:

That is disturbingly embarrassing for Sony. 

Beyond embarrassing, besides the upteenth reissue of the  2CD sets from the Original Trilogy scores. 

31 minutes ago, Score said:

What some might not know is that Williams is also a talented writer!

Yes, and not only that - he has been a prolific British film music

journalist for quite some time, if I remember correctly... ;)

1 hour ago, Score said:

What some might not know is that Williams is also a talented writer! He even won the 1973 U.S. National Book Award for Fiction for his novel "Augustus":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustus_(Williams_novel)

Later, starting with Jaws, he decided to focus on composing (and playing guitar, of course).

Happy Birthday, Maestro!! :john:

it's a great book, actually :)

8 minutes ago, Romão said:

it's a great book, actually :)

I haven't read it yet, but I am sure it is - John Williams is great at everything he does!

Alright, so far I have listened to all movements of "American Journey". This somehow felt quite fitting to the Maestro's 88th birthday and I didn't have to listen to anything we were experiencing in Vienna before. ;)

Next will be something special and I will toast to the Maestro's good health with a beverage I have to mix first; the evening is still young...

Happy birthday to Mr. Williams, unforgettable actor behind the iconic Oma Tres character in Star Wars, and occasional film composer ! :D

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Happy birthday, John William. Composer of the Star Trek songs.

Don't forget the Zelda theme music

What's all this about JW acting? Wasn't his cameo in TROS the first time he was on film?

If his "supporting role" in Dial M is a real thing, then I'll need to check it out. Did he have a speaking role?

Good, I fixed myself a White Russian (we already had excellent red wine for dinner, that would have been more in the style of the Maestro) and am about to listen to Yo-Yo Ma's rendition of Elegy for Cello and Orchestra, which we could have heard in Vienna 15 months ago...

Cheers! To the Maestro!

*clink*

One last update (don't want to document the complete evening here), since it's funny:

As I was preparing the excellent Gerhardt recording of Empire to play one or two selection from, I showed the picture "Producer George Korngold and composer John Williams" on the backside of the booklet to the love of my life and said: "Look at this - it's been 30 years"; she replied ", my, he sure looks baby-faced [her wording] in comparison to Vienna, " - then it hit me like a ton of bricks: Wait, this is 40 (!!) years ago. oO

Long live Maestro John Williams! Cheers again!

*clink*

1 hour ago, Bayesian said:

What's all this about JW acting? Wasn't his cameo in TROS the first time he was on film?

If his "supporting role" in Dial M is a real thing, then I'll need to check it out. Did he have a speaking role?

I Dont Get It Over My Head GIF by moodman

And he produced Shrek!

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

7007179_1474527118.jpg

So, John Williams is a composer, a guitarrist, an actor, a producer, a writer, a Dean, an economist, a concerned scientist, a botanic, attorney...

Truly an overachiever! And you keep complaining that nothing great happens on your life.

Happy birthday to Williams, who happens to be on the same day as my cousin!

Resultado de imagem para leonardo dicaprio gif cheers