Happy Birthday Maestro @88

Amer

31 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

So, John Williams is a composer, a guitarrist, an actor, a producer, a writer, a Dean, an economist, a concerned scientist, a botanic, attorney...

Truly an overachiever! And you keep complaining that nothing great happens on your life.

Happy birthday to Williams, who happens to be on the same day as my cousin!

Resultado de imagem para leonardo dicaprio gif cheers

...and the referee for the iconic 1985 world snooker final between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor.

...and my uncle.

Gotta admire the versatility.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

So, John Williams is a composer, a guitarrist, an actor, a producer, a writer, a Dean, an economist, a concerned scientist, a botanic, attorney...

Truly an overachiever! And you keep complaining that nothing great happens on your life.

Happy birthday to Williams, who happens to be on the same day as my cousin!

Resultado de imagem para leonardo dicaprio gif cheers

We're talking about John Williams the basketball player, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Williams_(basketball,_born_1966)

On 2/8/2020 at 2:00 PM, Martinland said:

Alright, so far I have listened to all movements of "American Journey". This somehow felt quite fitting to the Maestro's 88th birthday and I didn't have to listen to anything we were experiencing in Vienna before. ;)

I managed to squeeze in ROTS and also American Journey before my own birthday feast.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Dear lord that Sony post is embarrassing beyond neasure

What's also embarrassing is that they took it down when they realised their mistake, but never made a replacement post.

26 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Johnson getting in on the love. 

I totally forgot Rian did a podcast on JW's music for SW (also film music generally):

Shame Abrams never did anything like this, other than fragments of fanboying in interviews.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see Rian work with John on another non-SW score. To the best of my knowledge, JW never really commented on his collaboration with Rian (while he waxes lyrical about Abrams as a person, in spite of the challenging conditions he created for him).

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I managed to squeeze in [...] and also American Journey before my own birthday feast.

Aaaw, so we did celebrate together "from a certain point of view"... <3

...and, again, Happy Birthday to you! Everything (positive) seems

to be drawn out a bit this year; so far; I kind of like that fact. :)

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nice! But does your family also like JW's music?

They aren't fans like I am, but they certainly appreciate it, and I would say the like it, yes.

I had Mom and Dad over for dinner and cake, and it was really nice to reminisce about certain scores and films.  I have vivid memories of Mom being the one coming home humming the theme to Star Wars after the initial theatrical viewing, and singing the 5 tones from CE3K.

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Where's Goodbye Mr. Chips? And the original recording of Midway...

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (not the FSM, but a CD-R of the LP with original artwork by Jim Titus) is third row, third from the right.

I don't have the original recording of MIDWAY, and don't really need it. The rerecording is fine. It's not one of my favs to begin with.

The only one missing is RISE OF SKYWALKER, which I haven't acquired on CD yet.

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (not the FSM, but a CD-R of the LP with original artwork by Jim Titus) is third row, third from the right.

So that's why I missed it. We need a picture with higher resolution!

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

The only one missing is RISE OF SKYWALKER, which I haven't acquired on CD yet (only digital).

Just don't get the digipak version...

1 hour ago, Thor said:

don't have the original recording of MIDWAY, and don't really need it.

It will probably be rereleased soon, in even more complete from!

40 minutes ago, Thor said:

chips_idea.jpg

That's very nice! Although I was referring to your floor picture.

Does Jurassic Park III have new compositions from Williams, or just adaptations by Don Davis?  Noticed it in Thor's photo, and never really thought of it as a Williams score.

Yesterday, we attended a children's concert with the Trondheim Symphony Orchestra, conducted by the eminent Torodd Wigum. Near the end, they played Flying from E.T.. A fitting tribute to JW on his birthday. Never mind the stupid penguin. :)

IMG_20200208_142706676.jpg

48 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Does Jurassic Park III have new compositions from Williams, or just adaptations by Don Davis?  Noticed it in Thor's photo, and never really thought of it as a Williams score.

No. It's just Don Davis doing his own stuff in addition to awkward adaptations of JW's magnificent themes. I sold my copy a long time ago and have never regretted it.

47 minutes ago, Hedji said:

Don't think so; SOLO is more of a Williams score than JP3.

All of that is true. I just wanted to have them together (same with McNeely's SHADOW OF THE EMPIRE, which technically doesn't belong there either).

I like Davis' JP3, btw. Yes, the Williams arrangements are a bit corny, but when he's doing himself -- with those wild brass clusters and stuff -- it's actually quite fascinating. And I love the idea of Davis approximating Williams; two rather different orchestral styles meeting.

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

McNeely's SHADOW OF THE EMPIRE

Actually, I love this "score", for lack of a better word. (music for cross media project?)

In 2009, at the film music festival in Úbeda we attended, he could have signed this for me but unfortunately he fell ill after the wonderful recital evening and the final orchestral concert, so I had Robert Townson sign this and others instead on Sunday, I think it was. (into the booklet of the fabulous 'Vertigo' recording by McNeely he wrote 'One of my all-time favorites!' ;))

Thankfully Patrick Doyle was there to sign my favourites of his:

Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, and Hamlet

42 minutes ago, Thor said:

That's what makes it so fascinating. Wouldn't have been as interesting if it had been McNeely or Debney or others who do that style more "comfortably".

I guess the word I was looking for is competent.

First of all, I'm a fan of a distinctive voice combined with good craftsmanship. I like the OST for the first Matrix score quite a bit, but I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I discovered how close parts of it are to John Adams' music.

21 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Sony Classical’s mistake is beyond anything I’ve ever seen before.

It's not SK's mistake but the one of that young chap that got fired by now.

No, seriously, you are absolutely right - this is unforgivable to do to one of

your own major recording stars for decades, and another one at the same time.

Unbelievable blunder that does not bode well for the future of and culture in such companies...

17 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

First of all, I'm a fan of a distinctive voice combined with good craftsmanship. I like the OST for the first Matrix score quite a bit, but I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I discovered how close parts of it are to John Adams' music.

Have you listened to Kernis yet?

My point is that there's at least as much Kernis in The Matrix as there is Adams. Combine his two symphonies with Adams's Short Ride in a Fast Machine, and you've got the basic makeup.

10 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

My point is that there's at least as much Kernis in The Matrix as there is Adams. Combine his two symphonies with Adams's Short Ride in a Fast Machine, and you've got the basic makeup.

I'll check it out, and then get even more disappointed in Davis.

Also a big fan of WARRIORS OF VIRTUE and TOKYO GHOUL. Davis is instantly recognizable, and one of the most interesting composers of his generation (albeit sadly underused).

On 2/8/2020 at 11:21 PM, Edmilson said:

And this is not all!

https://worddisk.com/wiki/John_Williams_(disambiguation)/

https://worddisk.com/wiki/List_of_ships_named_John_Williams/

Peculiar categorizations and selections you've got there.

But I'd argue that the biggest US composer of "my" generation (i.e. born from the mid 70s onwards), is Bear McCreary.