1. 1. What is Williams going to compose this year? [2020]

• New arrangements for Anne-Sophie Mutter
    • New arrangements for a classical artist other than ASM
    • A little concert piece, like "Highwood Ghost"
    • A new concerto for an instrument and orchestra
    • A surprise film, like "Book Thief"
    • Something else. (What?)
    • Nothing

Maybe a Netflix minisseries? Williams haven't worked for TV since the 60s, would he like to try it again? He wrote almost 4 hours of Star Wars music last year, composing the same amount of music for an 8 episode show wouldn't be that different, lol.

Of course, they would have to explain to him what Netflix and streamings actually are.

52 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Maybe a Netflix minisseries? Williams haven't worked for TV since the 60s, would he like to try it again? He wrote almost 4 hours of Star Wars music last year, composing the same amount of music for an 8 episode show wouldn't be that different, lol.

Let's not forget AMAZING STORIES. Or the small bits and pieces and themes he's written up to and including GREAT PERFORMANCES in 2009. But yeah -- it's been 11 years; I'd welcome a new Williams theme for a TV show or something; we'll obviously never get a fullblown dramatic TV score from him again.

JW is going to “compose” liner notes for the expanded and properly remastered Star Wars box sets coming out this year. Isn’t that right, forum lurkers who are working on the project as we speak?

7 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I would love for JW to score a small film with a new director like Randy Newman did for Marriage Story. But I also recall that in an interview once, replying to the question "Why don't we hear more JW-esque scores in films these days?" Conrad Pope said that is isn't because composers can't write like JW but rather because directors aren't asking for JW-like scores these days. 

I guess scores like The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, Stepmom, The Accidental Tourist, or any other non-franchise score didn't appeal to them. It's easy to point out Williamsisms or to boil Williams down to a particular Hollywood style - but each of those scores above are living proof of his versatility and that instead of asking for Williams more often, they'd rather hire some other guy to do something dull. 

Maybe it's different - maybe Williams just turns down a lot of things.

7 hours ago, Bayesian said:

JW is going to “compose” liner notes for the expanded and properly remastered Star Wars box sets coming out this year. Isn’t that right, forum lurkers who are working on the project as we speak?

Soundtrack Producers in California or wherever right now:

'What the fuck is an online forum? Eh, fuck that, just change the covers, put some new font on there and we'll sell them again and call them 'Ultimate Remasters' or something. Don't forget the stickers, those collector's love that shit.'

15 hours ago, Arpy said:

I guess scores like The Terminal, Catch Me If You Can, Stepmom, The Accidental Tourist, or any other non-franchise score didn't appeal to them. It's easy to point out Williamsisms or to boil Williams down to a particular Hollywood style - but each of those scores above are living proof of his versatility and that instead of asking for Williams more often, they'd rather hire some other guy to do something dull. 

Maybe it's different - maybe Williams just turns down a lot of things.

Just a shot in the dark, but could it be that John Williams is just too expensive as an A-list composer? Big movie franchises may have a significant budget allocated for the score, but for a one-off film, which is not certain to be a success, perhaps they take a more cautious and practical route?

I think he may record a new 2CD for the last 6 STAR WARS films as a follow up to his previous trilogy recording he did for Sony. Then Sony can release a new 3CD celeberating the Star Wars Saga. It would be nice if we get a new recording of his themes from SOLO and maybe Galaxy's Edge as a bonus.!

11 hours ago, Biodome said:

Just a shot in the dark, but could it be that John Williams is just too expensive as an A-list composer? Big movie franchises may have a significant budget allocated for the score, but for a one-off film, which is not certain to be a success, perhaps they take a more cautious and practical route?

If Williams is interested in a film or a story I’m sure he’s flexible when it comes to his salary.

I think it’s got more to do with the overall budget for the score. Williams writes for a full orchestra more often than not and would never agree to only having two days of recording the important cues and then do the rest on synthesisers.

He would also insist on using the players and engineers he wants.

And then of course he would need a locked picture earlier than what is the norm now - or else the rewriting would definitely increase the budget even more.

? He just said a week or two ago that he's never been more in love with music and composing. Nobody here would be mad at him if he took a break, lol. We're just speculating about what he might do next, since he seems interested in doing more.

2 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Williams probably doesn't stop composing a single day. You just don't hear it. 

Correct. According to his brother he practically does the same thing every day. 

What do we think JW has for breakfast each day??? Scones?

With Indiana Jones filming in 2 months hopefully John will live long enough to score the film. Here is hoping it makes up for his disappointing last score.

While Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a disappointing film, the score was quite nice.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

With Indiana Jones filming in 2 months hopefully John will live long enough to score the film. Here is hoping it makes up for his disappointing last score.

While Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a disappointing film, the score was quite nice.

When you say his disappointing last score, do you mean KotCS or TROS?  If the former, you just contradicted yourself in the next paragraph.  LOL  If the latter, what about it was disappointing to you?

20 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Huh...? His last Indy score was KOTCS...