• New arrangements for Anne-Sophie Mutter
    • New arrangements for a classical artist other than ASM
    • A little concert piece, like "Highwood Ghost"
    • A new concerto for an instrument and orchestra
    • A surprise film, like "Book Thief"
    • Something else. (What?)
    • Nothing

On 2/15/2020 at 12:15 PM, ATXHusker said:

When you say his disappointing last score, do you mean KotCS or TROS?  If the former, you just contradicted yourself in the next paragraph.  LOL  If the latter, what about it was disappointing to you?

Everything about RotS is disappointing. mostly its a paint by numbers score. KOTCS was a much more listenable score

both films were eh.

I just watched Argo for the first time, and now I think we need to set up a fake production company to option scripts and announce fake movies with fake music needs that happen coincide with our JW wish lists.  First up: a sword-and-sorcery epic that needs a main theme!  Go, Maestro!  Then you can work on some swingin' string-backed big band music for this '60s throwback comedy that I swear we're making...

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't the violin concerto he's working on good enough?

Well, that one will be premiered in 2021, so technically it will be a 2021 piece.

Considering the very particular situation the world is going through and how this is severely impacting the film and music industries, I find very hard to believe we’ll see any announcement for upcoming film or concert projects for 2020.

JW should do a streaming concert from his home.

2 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

Concerning the newest film of the Star Wars series, which I saw at the premiere in London, I was --- just like John Williams --- (heavily) disappointed about the fact that J.J. Abrams mixed his score so that far too little of the music can be heard.

Interesting detail. Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Considering the very particular situation the world is going through and how this is severely impacting the film and music industries, I find very hard to believe we’ll see any announcement for upcoming film or concert projects for 2020.

Perhaps, but it could also be an ideal time for Williams to churn out a few pieces in 'isolation' (without necessarily being commissioned), the results of which we will see at a later date, in some form or fashion. He tends to write something every day anyway, as a matter of course, so why not?

I’m sure Mr. Williams is writing every day even during quarantine. What I meant is that there will be hardly new film projects featuring new music from him in 2020.

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Somebody call Oliver Stone.

And at the same time, Paul Greengrass will make a better, more focused movie that gets half the attention of the flashier Stone movie.

On 6/3/2020 at 3:37 AM, crumbs said:

I said years ago it was no coincidence that Williams repeated those comments about how badly his music was mixed in TFA. JW chooses his words carefully and knew exactly what he was doing there.

Lo and behold, TLJ follows with the best music mix we've heard from a JW score in decades. It's debatable whether this was a directive from Kennedy, or just the result of a director who actually understood and cared about the role of music in their film. I can't imagine the topic hasn't come up with KK though, if he was disappointed enough to tell ASM.

Just a shame he got lumped with JJ and the TFA sound mixing team again, who trampled over his score for TROS. It must have been so deflating as an artist.

It does suck that JW has written some of the most well-crafted underscore in movies during the past two decades and the cues end up being almost completely inaudible in the movie under sound effects. It’s frustrating even as a fan, I wonder how it must feel for him.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

A two-hour violin concerto that is so grating, unpleasant, and harsh that even the most snobbish critics will have to credit his composing abilities.  Perhaps a third movement of 30 minutes of silence and in a 6/8 time-signature.  

i unironically want this