The Aviator vs. The Return of the King - which is the better Shore score?

Jurassic Shark

The Aviator vs. Return of the King: which is the better Shore score?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. The Aviator vs. Return of the King: which is the better score?

• The Return of the King (2003)
    • The Aviator (2004)

I don't think it's a fair comparison, both are very different works, from very different scales. It's like comparing The Last Jedi with The Post, or The Lost World with Amistad, or, for Horner fans, The Spiderwick Chronicles and Avatar.

50 minutes ago, Fargo said:

The only musical thing I remember from The Aviator is the classical piece played during the flying-filming scene. I think it was Tchaikovsky.

Edit. nvm, it was Bach. 

Bach really knew how to score a flying sequence! Even better than Horner! :)

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You probably didn't notice because you didn't see the film.

I have. Hard to notice a score when it is so diluted. The Academy disqualified it for good reason. It did not make any impression in the movie at all.

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I have. Hard to notice a score when it is so diluted. The Academy disqualified it for good reason. It did not make any impression in the movie at all.

It's probably easier to take notice of a score when you watch a film twenty times. ;)

Return of the King is the de facto choice here anyway given that it was the last of the great orchestral film scores. The final one of its type, marking the true end of the golden era of orchestral film music. Absolutely everything since has paled in comparison.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're implying that the Hobbit scores aren't great, which I'm inclined to agree about.

Pleasant soundtracks which meant well in their own way, but hardly representative of scoring greatness. Lightning didn't strike twice, films and score.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Pleasant soundtracks which meant well in their own way, but hardly representative of scoring greatness. Lightning didn't strike twice, films and score.

Yup. I was surprised when I discovered that Filmtracks had given all the Hobbit scores top rating.

If the three LOTR scores & movies didn't exist - and Shore then came out with his Hobbit scores - would that change the way you feel about them? Personally I feel like they are hindered by the shadow of the original ones. 

Good question. Shore never managed to follow up the very good FotR score in its two sequels, so I didn't expect him to manage it with The Hobbit scores either. But I was hoping for something more memorable.

36 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Good question. Shore never managed to follow up the very good FotR score in its two sequels, 

I disagree with this. Or more specifically, I think Fellowship both film and score win out simply by virtue of their being the strongest aspect of an exceptional trilogy.

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

being the strongest aspect of an exceptional trilogy.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I love all of the trilogy... But I love Fellowship, movie and score, a little more than the others. :)

Then we feel the same, just to different degrees.

8 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

RotK is better than both FotR and TTT.

When Barad-dûr collapses, and the "evil" theme turns from minor, to major, I'm not not sure if I've ever heard a more triumphant piece of Shore music. Sublime.

3 hours ago, Fargo said:

The only musical thing I remember from The Aviator is the classical piece played during the flying-filming scene. I think it was Tchaikovsky.

Edit. nvm, it was Bach. 

Wasn't the rejected "Icarus" written for this sequence? Pretty great pastiche.

How things develop and entangle and come into their own grow in RotK, still allowing for new stuff to pop up, especially with Doug's book to assist the listener... I could start looking at structure and pacing and all that to compare but on my last CR relisten and read-along last month, I used up 9 tissues... 2/1/6 as broken down per score.

4 hours ago, Fargo said:

Edit. nvm, it was Bach. 

Oof those 2004 VFX. Looks like video game cut scenes.

I daresay even LOTR looks pretty bad in places.

25 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Oof those 2004 VFX. Looks like video game cut scenes.

One thing they forgot was the dirt.

36 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Wasn't the rejected "Icarus" written for this sequence? Pretty great pastiche.

A great track! Please elaborate what you think his inspirations were.

The current narrative being everyone having unique viewpoints on three different scores?

I think RotK has some of my favorite individual tracks of the trilogy, but my favorite one to listen from start to end is FotR. 

Okay, so this thread made me want to revisit... The Aviator (ROTK I know it back to back).

It's a pretty good little score by Shore. A nice mix of some LOTR-style "action" music (no choir, unfortunately), some anguished strings similar to North and Herrmann representing Hughes' descent into madness, and some Old Hollywood-ish music for the era. 

Loved the dissonant music on tracks like Hollywood 1927 and Screening Room, great psychological scoring by Shore.

I liked it a lot, and pretty sure I'll revisit it a lot over the next days.

Also, I guess ROTK was pretty fresh on his head when he wrote The Aviator, because this is quite LOTR-esque:

There's these strings similar to the Lothlorien music from Fellowship, and the bold brass reminded me a little of parts of ROTK.

The counterpoint work is brilliant, and how he abstracts "Icarus" into the dramatic underscore is fantastic. The flying fanfare, and LOTR-lite material, not so much.

It's a good score, but it is no ROTK.

FotR was the first CD I ever bought with my own money (first score CD). It’ll always hold a special place in my heart... though at the time it was the OST - and now I prefer the complete recordings. Probably why I prefer it to the others. 

Continuing my trip down memory lane, I think my second film score CD purchase was Spider-man 2 in 2002. Definitely a downgrade from my first one.