What's Desplat's most engrossing score?

Jurassic Shark

I think his most successful scores in the movie is Grand Budapest Hotel

Others which add to the movie a lot.

The King's Speech

The Ghost Writer

A Prophet

Ghost Writer finale is his best scoring moment I feel.

'Engrossing'; I'm not quite sure what you put into that in this context.

But my favourite Desplat scores (i.e. those I actually own in my digital collection) are GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING, THE PAINTED VEIL and L'ENNEMI INTIME. His work for Audiard is OK, and THE GHOST WRITER was very good in context (perfectly spotted). Beyond that, I tend to dislike Desplat more often than not. He's a bit of a 'one trick pony'. Extremely overrated and overused.

The Light Between the Oceans is a fucking masterpiece. One of my favorite scores of the decade, and actually, of all time.

Other than that, I like The Imitation Game, Godzilla... Grand Budapest Hotel worked wonderfully on the movie and deserved the Oscar that it got in 2014. Valerian is a pretty funny score as well. 

Probably between The Ghost Writer and The Painted Veil. Two great, consistent albums.

Desplat's OSTs are generally just too long. Too often it's a great opening cue, followed by an hour of filler material that drowns out the good stuff. The man needs to curate/trim his presentations.

2 hours ago, KK said:

Probably between The Ghost Writer and The Painted Veil. Two great, consistent albums.

Desplat's OSTs are generally just too long. Too often it's a great opening cue, followed by an hour of filler material that drowns out the good stuff. The man needs to curate/trim his presentations.

Tell that to Holko!

20 hours ago, Matt C said:

No love for New Moon or Deathly Hallows?

I really like New Moon, specially for the Jacob and Bella music.

Here it is hesitant, almost shy, as the relationship between the two is starting to take a new direction.

But here their theme is a little more developed.

I guess this theme is a little similar from one of his earlier scores (maybe The Painted Veil or Girl with a Pearl Earring?), and he actually re-used the first three notes of it on The Light Between the Oceans 7 years later.

Still, I think it's a pretty good theme. More late 2000s Desplat (Benjamin Button, Lust Caution, etc) than the epic love theme this score got famous for, but still very touching.

21 hours ago, Matt C said:

No love for New Moon or Deathly Hallows?

☹️

Me! New Moons not my favorite, it's not really even up there, but I do enjoy it.

Deathly Hallows Part 1 is up there! Favorites are "Exodus", "Sky Battle", "Death Eaters Searching", "Ministry of Magic", "Ron Leaves (from 1m6)", and I enjoy the hymn "My Love Is Always Here."

Deathly Hallows Part 2 is okay. I hardly listen to it though unfortunately.

As far as my Desplat list:

1. Godzilla
  2. The Grand Budapest Hotel
  3. The Golden Compass
  4. Deathly Hallows Part 1
  5. The Imitation Game

Haven't heard Ghost Writer. Gonna have to give it a listen, it comes up in this thread a lot.