Do you have a bluray player / drive?

Jurassic Shark

Do you have a bluray player / drive?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a bluray player / drive?

• No
    • Yes

I own a couple of 4K UHD players. One of them I just need to get rid of as it doesn't support DV. Never had a regular one, only used PS4 as my player before 4K.

Karol

58 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Why you'd have a bluray player? To watch films in greater resolution or to listen to audio in better quality, I'd guess.

No, why do you want to know? Why do you care? What's so special about owning a Blu-ray player?

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

No, why do you want to know? Why do you care? What's so special about owning a Blu-ray player?

Nothing special that I know if - I've never had one. I'm just curious about what a community that's above average interested in films thinks of it. Is it necessary for proper film enjoyment on a HD (2K) screen? Is it worth it, considering the much higher prices of the films?

Blu-ray generally does look sharper and more film accurate than DVD, and even moreso in 4K UHD. If it has lossless audio that's in the correct film speed and pitch, great!

I have one 4K UHD player, three blu-ray players, and one DVD player.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nothing special that I know if - I've never had one. I'm just curious about what a community that's above average interested in films thinks of it. Is it necessary for proper film enjoyment on a HD (2K) screen? Is it worth it, considering the much higher prices of the films?

Blu-rays have been as cheap as DVDs for like 10 years. It amazes me that there are still people that consider it a luxury when it’s the standard. 

18 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Blu-rays have been as cheap as DVDs for like 10 years

That's almost never the case where I do my shopping, including the European branches of amazon, but then I don't buy superhero movies either. ;)

26 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Blu-rays have been as cheap as DVDs for like 10 years. It amazes me that there are still people that consider it a luxury when it’s the standard. 

In the two years or so before I switched to Blu (some 10 years ago), I used to buy DVDs for something like €4. I still rarely find Blus for no more than €5, the usual price is €8 or higher - that's twice as high as what I used to pay for DVDs in the end. Plus German Blu releases are getting worse and worse - many don't have English sub titles, an increasing number actually has all in-movie titles and text displays in German as well. And many discs have the "startup trailers" only in German, and also use German as the default language rather than checking the default I've configured in my player's preferences. Which means that I have to get quite a few of my Blus from Amazon UK and the like, which is often more expensive plus includes additional shipping costs. And will only get more expensive once Brexit takes effect.

I told my colleagues that I intended to pick up some titles on disc for the Black Friday deals, looking to make some bargains. They looked at me as if I’d spoken in another language.

They smiled with that “I hear you talking but don’t understand what you’re saying”-smile.

It’s a very select few who still buy physical media these days.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

German Blu releases are getting worse and worse - many don't have English sub titles, an increasing number actually has all in-movie titles and text displays in German as well. And many discs have the "startup trailers" only in German, and also use German as the default language rather than checking the default I've configured in my player's preferences.

Do Germany still have exclusive releases for the German market though?

I remember this being a thing a couple of years ago... For example, I think this was the case for Strange Days (1995) and it’s 30th anniversary release, remastered in 2015.

Shame that such a great movie gets such a limited release, but better than not having it at all, I guess.

It very much depends on the studio. Most studios (especially when the film distribution and the home video rights side are the same) use the same transfer for various international releases, and often also have the same language selections etc. But some, especially (if I recall correctly) StudioCanal and Arthaus, consistently drop the original subtitles for their German releases, for whatever reason. And sometimes you get different transfers and audio tracks - recent case in point: Chernobyl. The US and French releases have a proper transfer, while the UK release has a 1080i 50Hz video track, i.e. both interlaced and the wrong frame rate. The German release has the same transfer as the UK version, plus drops the English subtitles and replaces all in-video texts with German translations.

Also, sometimes you get very localised releases, like for La fille sur le pont, one of my favourite films, so far only released in France (as far as I'm aware), with French audio and only French subtitles.

My first go-to site for checking if a release is ok is still http://www.dvdcompare.net/, but they're not nearly as exhaustive these days as they used to be in the DVD era.

Yes, I have a Toshiba Blu-ray player (multi-region for BD and DVD), an LG BD writer (external) and a PS3. I do plan to pick up a UHD 4K player or XBox One S (or possibly both) at some stage too, once I have a capable display.

I also have two HD-DVD players, a DVD/HDD recorder, four Laserdisc players and two VHS recorders, but I doubt you care about those :)

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I told my colleagues that I intended to pick up some titles on disc for the Black Friday deals, looking to make some bargains. They looked at me as if I’d spoken in another language.

They smiled with that “I hear you talking but don’t understand what you’re saying”-smile.

Where I live people who buy movies are considered odd, which makes me the king of odd.

I don't understand how some people just woke up someday and decided they were going to get rid of their DVDs or Blus. My family has boxes and boxes of VHS tapes we still haven't gotten rid of yet. A lot of them are home movies that need archived, but who has the time? 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

So what do we think about SACD? 

I've done an A-B-C comparison on DVD-A, DTS, and SACD (I've not had the opportunity to compare SACD to Blu), of the same recording, and I can, honestly find little to choose, between them (although I'd favour DTS, over the other two).

There are many good SACDs out there (BROTHERS IN ARMS sounds like a million dollars!), but you need a Sony player, to enjoy them (yah, boo, sucks!).

To précis: yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice.

My old PC had one but I didn't want to pay for playback software so I didn't use it.

My new PC came with a free copy of PowerDVD so I celebrated by buying an Imagine Dragons concert Blu-ray. I still don't watch much on it (I'm a Netflixer/Primer) but it's there. I also means that if I decide to buy any movies in the future, there's question I buy the BD.

I finally used the region A player I picked up in NYC last summer for the first time. So I currently have one region A and two region B players in use (A & B on the projector, and the other B on the TV in the bedroom), not counting the PS3 and PS4. I also have a region free Blu player (my first) that will still play DVDs but chokes on Blus, and another region B player that won't play anything. They seem to die more quickly than plain DVD players used to.

I take that back I do have a machine that plays Blu-Rays. It's the old "fatty" PS3. I don't use it anymore and it's in my closet collecting dust.  It's pretty old and has been showing signs of it going out. I'm surprised it had not. 

As I said I plan to put a Blu-Ray drive in my next PC build.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

I plan to put a Blu-Ray drive in my next PC build.

All jokes aside, have you considered simply getting an external Blu-ray drive for your computer? Since you said PC, that implies a desktop. 

My desktop has a Blu-Ray drive, but I have turned the computer on once in the last three years, simply to upgrade from 7 to 10 before it's no longer possible. It's been almost totally replaced by my second laptop, which has no internal optical drive. It makes it so much lighter for normal use. 

My first laptop had an internal Blu-ray drive, and when that laptop would no longer boot, I salvaged everything that I could, which included buying a $12 USB 3 housing for the old drive. It kinda sticks out funny but it works. 

The only other useful piece of salvage was the SODIMM. 

I bought an internal BD drive for my PC purely for the purposes of ripping a film that I needed for a project I was working on. It was rendered a bit pointless when I eventually got what I needed from someone else, but it still prove useful for other stuff I did down the road. I'd have done external if they weren't pricier in comparison.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've done an A-B-C comparison on DVD-A, DTS, and SACD (I've not had the opportunity to compare SACD to Blu), of the same recording, and I can, honestly find little to choose, between them (although I'd favour DTS, over the other two).

There are many good SACDs out there (BROTHERS IN ARMS sounds like a million dollars!), but you need a Sony player, to enjoy them (yah, boo, sucks!).

To précis: yer pays yer money, and yer takes yer choice.

I'm an SACD fanboy, but I find it adds little to orchestral recordings in multichannel. Prog rock recordings like DSOTM and Jeff Wayne's WOTW sound incredible, as does Chicago. The 2004 Phantom of the Opera sounds okay but not a reference disc. ET was a right bloody disappointment, the Telarc discs are better in stereo, Titanic is fine but not essential, ditto to A Beautiful Mind and Timeline, Star Trek Nemesis seems to have more punch in stereo, but The Legend of Zorro is godlike.

Haven't heard Christus Apollo yet.

On 2/23/2020 at 4:17 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

The pricing structure is insignificant between dvd/br/4k but the picture quality is noticeable. With the introduction of 5G streaming quality will improve dramatically but i wanf the extras that come with owning a film. It just comes down to want eat individual want. JP you should be scolded harshly for not making this a public poll. Anonymity is such matters diminishes the polls worthiness. 

19 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The blu-ray drive in my PC is so old I plan on upgrading to a flashed 4K drive in a few months.

Flashed?

19 hours ago, woj said:

I don't understand how some people just woke up someday and decided they were going to get rid of their DVDs or Blus. My family has boxes and boxes of VHS tapes we still haven't gotten rid of yet. A lot of them are home movies that need archived, but who has the time? 

Yeah, I get it. Everytime I post pics in the recent film purchases thread of used DVDs that I've picked up I get asked "but why didn't you buy the Blu-rays instead?"

Answer: because they are much more expensive and hard to find where I live.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

The pricing structure is insignificant between dvd/br/4k

Really? The 4K releases I've stumbled upon have been quite expensive.

JS you should be scolded harshly for not making this a public poll.

I want people to be allowed to choose whether to subject themselves to Joe's wrath. Practically all people who have voted No have revealed themselves in a comment.

Anonymity is such matters diminishes the polls worthiness. 

Why do you think so?

1.At Christmas the 4k's were on sale cheaper than the blu rays. I always sale shop. 

2. If the posters here a too scared to post their own information thats on them. 

3. Transparency