Do you have a bluray player / drive?

Jurassic Shark

Do you have a bluray player / drive?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a bluray player / drive?

• No
    • Yes

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're starting to sound like Trump, Joe.

You are mistaken as usual

I have Blu-ray players on all 3 TVs in our house (rec room, living room, bedroom).  I have a 4K TV, but don't intend to "upgrade" to a 4K disc player, because to me the quality difference is negligible.  Besides, it would just be an avenue for me to compulsively rebuy movies I already own anyway.  I only buy maybe 1-2 movies a year.  I rewatch things so infrequently that they rarely exceed the value of a $1 Redbox rental, or as part of the built-in cost of a streaming service.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My mistake, I meant to write you're starting to sound even more like Trump! :)

Like Worf said if you were not on a distant continent I would kill you where you stand.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

DVD: €4

Blu-ray: €8

4k: €20+

Rarely do I spend more than $10 bucks on a movie. Exceptions are when I buy a specialty or hardcase set. I paid. $7.99 a piece on 6 4k movies at Christmas. The blurays were strangely 9.99.

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Flashed?

You need to have your 4K drive flashed with older firmware in order to play and rip 4K blu-ray discs on your computer. If you go out and buy one at like Best Buy or Amazon or something, they will not be able to play the discs without both an HDCP certified setup as well as a specific program to play the video; also ripping the discs would be physically impossible.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Fixed!

Figures you know. You are from a land of nazi pawns so you clearly pay more attention to dictators than I.

46 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I paid. $7.99 a piece on 6 4k movies at Christmas. The blurays were strangely 9.99.

They have less reason to discount Blu-rays because most people have Blu-ray players now.  If they can get people buying into the format, they can sell more expensive players, people will build their libraries with higher price new releases and library titles that aren't on sale.  Same reason they include a disc from the previous format in many releases (i.e. 4K/Blu, Blu/DVD).  The extra discs cost very little to manufacture - it encourages adoption of the more expensive new format and creates an illusion of added value.

But the players are under $90 bucks now. And the differences are noticeable at least to me and my family. I put in Fallout anx it was clear which had a better picture. I have bought to Bluray discs recently. Crawl was only available in blu at Christmas and Dr Sleep. I bought Dr Sleep for the director cut which was not in 4k

New movies are always expensive. That’s why you use blu-ray.com to track prices on all the major sites and find the best deals. Like Joe, I don’t typically spend more than $10 on a blu. Maybe $15 if it’s something I really want. But recently I’ve been becoming more and more digital. VUDU and iTunes often have cheap digital 4K, and Prime and Netflix have 4K streaming as well. 

5 hours ago, woj said:

Screenshot_2020-02-17_094338_1.png

I have never been on twitter. as Ilia said this device serves no purpose but say it like you have about 4 or 5 coins in your mouth.

DRAX Rule #99  everything is better using a star trek quote or paraphrase.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:40 AM, Þekþiþm said:

I'm an SACD fanboy, but I find it adds little to orchestral recordings in multichannel. Prog rock recordings like DSOTM and Jeff Wayne's WOTW sound incredible, as does Chicago. The 2004 Phantom of the Opera sounds okay but not a reference disc. ET was a right bloody disappointment, the Telarc discs are better in stereo, Titanic is fine but not essential, ditto to A Beautiful Mind and Timeline, Star Trek Nemesis seems to have more punch in stereo, but The Legend of Zorro is godlike.

Haven't heard Christus Apollo yet.

Ah, yes! JW'sWOTW is a fantastic listen, in 5.1!

Agreed, concerning orchestral stuff.

For me, classical/OST recordings seem to be more of an "enhanced stereo", rather than true 5.1. There's a lot of bleeding, but no real rear speaker detail.

5.1 works much better with rock, and prog.

"Chicago". Do you mean the recent-ish quad box set?

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"Chicago". Do you mean the recent-ish quad box set?

Huh? No, the 2002 musical.

Also, I'm not a fan of the LFE channel for music. Music with a subwoofer sounds better when it's taken from the stereo lower end frequencies.