am I the only one who likes Star Wars.

JoeinAR

I think the title says it all.

Joe, not wanting to make anyone feel mentally deficient or crazy.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Joe, I think you are.

Ted, who can't imagine anyone else liking Star Wars

Never seen it, Joe. Was it any good?

The only ones I've ever seen were:

Episode 4: A New Hope

Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Episode 6: The Return Of The Jedi

Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

Episode 2: Attack Of The Clones

Maybe I was too young to see it? Perhaps I should have been born earlier?

-Chris, Who knows that the 1st showing didn't say A New Hope, but saw the POST-Empire re-showing in theatres because he was too young at the time... and saw Empire 11-13 times in theatres when he was a lad...

Star Wars? The soundtrack? A New Hope? The soundtrack of Star Wars is perfect from the first note to the last whilst ESB has its moments. I don't think ESB is in my Williams top 10. I know it's good but somehow I'm not that involved. I think. the music is perhaps to busy. If it's deserted island time I would choose Empire of the Sun over Empire Strikes Back any day, anytime.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I completely loathe Star Wars.

This avatar and screen name are merely here to feed my hatred! ;)

-Rogue Leader who thinks most folks like Star Wars. So long as you are defining that as A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and NOTHING MORE! :)

I saw Star Wars at the movies about 16 times

I saw the Empire Strikes Back about 16 times

I saw Return of the Jedi about 8 times.

My personal record though is Superman which I must have seen 20+ times at the movies, course it was cheap then and I never paid more than 3 bucks at a time.

Damn, these Star Wars movies where my life. I can not count how often I've watched these movies.

I still love them but I´m not the same fanatic I was 2 years ago............

.......now it`s the Indiana Jones Trilogy. :)

Short: Star Wars will always be a part of my life (Episode II too), and the music even changed it

Dr. Jones - who prefers TPM and not AOTC because in the first one the protagonists where great actors!

Joe, I'm sorry you have to encounter such hatred and ridicule over your preference to use "Star Wars" instead of "A New Hope." I always say "Star Wars" or "Episode 4," but never "A New Hope."

Anyway, "Star Wars" has a special place in my heart. My older brother and I always sat down together every Christmas when I was younger to watch this. Great memories.

I have never had a beef with "Star Wars." I just put "Empire" higher on my list because of the last 35 minutes.

Jeff -- who doesn't have a beef with "Return of the Jedi," either. Episodes 1 and 2 on the other hand...... :)

Wow, I can't believe so many people love Star Wars this much. The LOTR films and scores are clearly better, and much more mature.

Ray Barnsbury :)

Edit: this post is dripping with sarcasm

Ray, you have to understand that the Star Wars saga, like the Indiana Jones saga, was conceived as a tribute to the great Saturday-afternoon serials that took place at movie theaters. It was aimed at the kids, and the young at heart. So, in a way, the maturity level of the story of the Star Wars saga is indeed lower than The Lord of the Rings story. But that just proves there is more than one way to interpret the whole "unlikely hero thrown in fantastical situations" movie theme.

Jeff -- who agrees that LOTR is more mature, but doesn't hold in as high esteem as Star Wars

Joe, I'm sorry you have to encounter such hatred and ridicule over your preference to use "Star Wars" instead of "A New Hope." I always say "Star Wars" or "Episode 4," but never "A New Hope."  

Anyway, "Star Wars" has a special place in my heart. My older brother and I always sat down together every Christmas when I was younger to watch this. Great memories.  

I really don't mind the people who insist on calling it A New Hope, I just choose to call it Star Wars because that was the title I first saw it as. Besides I get them more riled up than they ever get me riled up.

Star Wars might have been slightly inspired by LOTR, but basically it was inspired by a more visual media.

Joe, who feels Star Wars is a far greater film that Lord of the Rings, Fellowship of the Rings, and that the Empire Strikes Back is a far greater film than the Two Towers.

I like the music, though  :wink:

;) Soledad

La Oreja de Van Gogh

Oh, what a surprise hector! I never imagined you would listen to this donostiarra group!

:)

Ray, you have to understand that the Star Wars saga, like the Indiana Jones saga, was conceived as a tribute to the great Saturday-afternoon serials that took place at movie theaters. It was aimed at the kids, and the young at heart. So, in a way, the maturity level of the story of the Star Wars saga is indeed lower than The Lord of the Rings story. But that just proves there is more than one way to interpret the whole "unlikely hero thrown in fantastical situations" movie theme.  

Jeff -- who agrees that LOTR is more mature, but doesn't hold in as high esteem as Star Wars

Star Wars was inspired by (among other things) LOTR

Oh my, I guess people know me less than I thought. My post was purely sarcastic. Star Wars will forever be infinitely more enjoyable to me than LOTR, both films and scores. I get sick of people raving about all things LOTR. Actually, my post was derived from some article a while back where the guy said that what Shore is doing with LOTR is as good as or better than what John Williams did with the first Star Wars trilogy, which I thought was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. So to reiterate, my above post was sarcastic. I don't want to go on record as having seriously said something like that!

Ray Barnsbury

Of note: I always call it Star Wars too. I use "A New Hope" to just identify it from the other movies or (on this board) in sarcasm because I know it irks Joe. In fact, the 1st time I even HEARD the term "A New Hope", it was in 1995 on a toy. I saw that and thought "COOL! They named the new Star Wars movie already? Oh... the little-known subtitle to the original".

Alas... sarcasm doesn't work on this MB. :wave:

I saw Star Wars at the movies about 16 times

I saw the Empire Strikes Back about 16 times

I saw Return of the Jedi about 8 times.

My personal record though is Superman which I must have seen 20+ times at the movies, course it was cheap then and I never paid more than 3 bucks at a time.

Sheesh Joe! How old were you going to see kid's movies THAT many times? :wave:

Kidding, but the only reason why you beat me is because I had to beg my parents to take me again and again, and you could drive yourself anytime. :joy:

Let's see if I remember... at the movies (Theatres/Drive-Ins), I saw:

Empire: 11-13 times (I forgot now... saw it 1st but already knew the story of Star Wars thanks to those book & record type sets...)

Star Wars: 2-3 times (After it came out after TESB, and saw it on cable before I saw it at the movies...)

Jedi: 2-3 times.

Of course, since then I've seen them countless times on TV and home video.

Am I the only one who is sick of all of these "Am I the only one who likes..." posts?

I mean, Jiminy Christmas, the joke is old.

What's next?

Am I the only one who likes air?

Am I the only one who likes to sleep?

Am I the only one who likes John Williams?

Am I the only one who realizes that it doesn't matter what you call that movie, it's still the same basic schpeel?

Kid finds robots, robots lead him to old man hero #37, old man hero #37 leads him to hero #14, together they rescue the princess from the clutches of villain #3 who killed the kid's daddy and also kills old man hero #37 , and they blow up the moon, er, space station and save the day. It doesn't matter what the name of the movie is. :roll:

I'll tell you what I'm really upset about.

Am I the only one who is sick of having to log in each time to post a message at this board, and then having entire messages lost because they're timing out and saying "invalid session?" Am I?

Is there a problem with my cookies? I don't think so. I'm a member of another messageboard that uses way more cookie-intensive stuff and no problem there, and I'm still recognized every time at starwars.com. What gives? I can understand if the mysterious "guest" was eliminated, but at what cost? Our sanity?

Sheesh Joe! How old were you going to see kid's movies THAT many times?  

Chris, I was 16 when Star Wars came out, and I was within walking distance of the mall where the theatre was, but I also was allowed to drive the family car.

I also saw Raiders, E.T., Jaws 2, Star Trek II, Poltergeist and others many times. When Star Wars came out adult tickets were 2.25 and kid & matinee prices were 1.50. It was cheap and easy to go so many times.

Darth Wojo and Chris, don't tell me you're still loosing messages? Haven't you read my post in the "Invalid Session" thread? It's one of the last posts.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Dr. Jones - who prefers TPM and not AOTC because in the first one the protagonists where great actors!

Great actors put to GREATER waste. :wave:

Darth Wojo and Chris, don't tell me you're still losing messages? Haven't you read my post in the "Invalid Session" thread? It's one of the last posts.

Yep. I even click the "Log me on automatically each visit" checkbox, but to no avail. My only savior is that as soon as I press "D" my name comes up with the password stored and I can go right in. But I still hit Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C to copy my post before I hit Send, because I'm sick of losing posts. It's a good habit to have and I use it on other message boards, to.

As for the "Invalid Session" post, I looked at it, and it doesn't apply to me. I don't use AOL to browse the 'net, I use Netzero. It's a lot cheaper and doesn't have that whole "internet for dummies" feel to it; I don't mean to insult anyone who uses AOL, I just refuse to pay for AO-Hell. It's bad enough I have to use Microshaft Winblows, let's bring back DOS. Gimme a browswer window, I can find anything; I don't need a custom made homepage. I do use AIM, though, because everyone and their mother uses it now, literally. And I'm not deleting *all* my cookies because of other sites that need them, like starwars.com and others. That one remembers me and its password is always being forgotten. I'll see if I can find *this* MB's cookie and delete it, but I doubt it'll work.

And just for the record, attempting to post this message has resulted in an "Invalid Session" *TWICE* but I copied it and it was still in the "Back" memory. Grr.

From a standpoint of storytelling, the Star Wars films, the original as well as the original trilogy are VERY similar to Lord of the Rings. Harry Potter also owes a lot to Mr. Tolkien.

Ted, expecting to be grilled for this but is ready for it

they owe more to the Arthur legends than LOTR

I understand how they owe a lot to Arthurian legends, and I know that LOTR isn't the most "original" story in the world, but the parallels that can be drawn between it and Stars and it and Harry Potter are endless.

Ted

I like the music, though  :wink:

:music: Soledad

La Oreja de Van Gogh

Oh, what a surprise hector! I never imagined you would listen to this donostiarra group!

:mrgreen:

This what?

:music: Dukas The Sorcerer's Apprentice

New York Philharmonic

Leonard Bernstein

I understand how they owe a lot to Arthurian legends, and I know that LOTR isn't the most "original" story in the world, but the parallels that can be drawn between it and Stars and it and Harry Potter are endless.

Uhm... that's because it's the exact same story. Am I the only one who's ever heard of Joseph Campbell?

I sign in EVERY time I post, and not just when I delete my cookies and such.

I don't use AOL or anything like that... I just use my PC through a local ISP and browse the web with IE6. Yes, I'm still stuck in the past with Win98 (although it's been updated a hundred times via the microsoft update page).

Then, in the middle of posting (just like Wojo) I sometimes have to copy & paste my whole message again because the site will automatically sign me out after a certain amount of time. It's been like that for several months now, hence between that and me being busy, I haven't been posting very much.

The site will automatically sign me out after a certain amount of time

With me, time has nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's less then a minute.

All the rest sounds very similar.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The site will automatically sign me out after a certain amount of time

With me, time has nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's less then a minute.

All the rest sounds very similar.

You definitely have the same problem as me then, because sometimes I can post freely for say a half hour or so, then other times I have to re-sign in for every post I do, even if they are a couple minutes apart.

I even added this site to my reduced-security "safe sites" in IE6, but it still signs me out.

It, whatever it may be, just doesn't want us, I guess.

Could it be this it is Neil?!?! Wait......I hear something......Sun of a......Is that you Indyso...Noooooooooo!!!

----------------

Alex Cremers

There are literally dozens of sources one could site as inspiration for the original SW.

However, it has MORE than enough in its own right to be cited as a fully original work.

I never paid more than 3 bucks at a time.

Which would be what, $10?

Morn - Glad to see that Joe isn't as insane as he thought in regards to Star Wars title