Sinfonietta for winds

txyall

I'm interested in obtaining a recording of Williams' "Sinfonietta" for Winds to evaluate the piece, and possibly obtain a copy for my college bands future performance. Does anyone have a recording of this piece, and could you make me a copy of it? I would provide a CD-R or tape, or replace whatever you would send. Thank you for your time and consideration. Please respond to me directly via email:

txyall@mac.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recordings of it, as well as sheet music. Information can be found on my website http://themes.jw-music.net . This piece is extremely difficult, and I just worry that it would be outside the performance ability of a college band, mostly because of rhythm and meter. Also, don't forget that your wind band will also need 4 contrabasses.

The "official" recording is the Deutsche Grammophon DGG 2530 63 Vinyl LP. It has not been recorded since. However, this recording has appeared on at least one bootleg that I know of, possibly more.

I personally have not yet been able to locate the Deutsche Grammophon record yet.

It shouldn't be a problem for DG to bring it out again on CD, together with some work from other composers to have a full interesting album. What are they waiting for. Sooner or later another company will.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What are they waiting for.  

Alex Cremers

These type of Williams concert works are way more abstract than most regular classical music.Maybe they think not too many people would like it.Isn't that the piece that resembles the desolate Lost in Space music?

K.M.Who has the boot somewhere.

That's why DG should compile an album with other works, other styles, other composers. Then they attract modern, contemporary music lovers as well as John Williams collectors. By appealing to both small markets you minimize the risk. Better two then one.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I remember disliking it at first. Here's how I got my copy of the Sinfonietta... My college library has it in their music section. When you checked out music you weren't supposed to leave the library with it, unlike books. So, one day I went to the library and in my bookbag I had another LP (soundtrack to 2001 of all things) and I checked out the DG LP with the Williams piece on it. I put the 2001 LP in its place and gave it back to the library clerk, I assumed they wouldn't check the record inside and I was right. So, I took it home and recorded it to minidisc and the next day I went to the library and did another record swap.

Its so funny to think about. This was back in 1994, I was like 18, a freshman and really nervous about the whole covert operation. If it were me today, I would just check out the record and leave with it and come back the next day and be like "oops I forgot this". But anyhow, I also zeroxed the notes on the back of the LP. And when I got my computer I put the minidisc recording onto CD format. Still sounds pretty good. The record had hardly been touched.

As for the piece itself, I didn't like it upon first listen as it is a very modern piece, but after several listens it grew on my quite a bit. To anyone who hasn't heard it, give it a try! I have a copy that I'd be willing to make for someone and I do also have a zeroxed copy of the score as well.

I got a realaudio copy of it off a site. Pretty cool piece.

Think.. Schoenberg like.

What are they waiting for.  

Alex Cremers

These type of Williams concert works are way more abstract than most regular classical music.Maybe they think not too many people would like it.Isn't that the piece that resembles the desolate Lost in Space music?

But they should bring out on cd nevetheless. Nowadays they bring out cd's that are even more abstract than you ever can image. And believe they are not selling!

So to quote Alex again : What are they waiting for. ???

But they should bring out on cd nevetheless. Nowadays they bring out cd's that are even more abstract than you ever can image. And believe they are not selling!

So to quote Alex again : What are they waiting for. ???

Not to mention the fact that anything with John Williams' name on it sells, unlike a lot of other composers. If this CD were put out today it would probably make all of the money back that it cost to release it on CD in a matter of days. If FSM can put out nonsense like JWs score to "John Goldfarb Please Come Home" (which I also own and I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy) then a serious concert piece like the Sinfonietta should be released.

MaestroJW! You think you could make an MP3 of it and maybe send to me by either MSN- or Yahoo! Messenger or ICQ? (If you have anything else you'd prefer I'll see what I can do about it). I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd do me this big favour :music:

MaestroJW! You think you could make an MP3 of it and maybe send to me by either MSN- or Yahoo! Messenger or ICQ? (If you have anything else you'd prefer I'll see what I can do about it). I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd do me this big favour :music:

Not a problem... except I don't know what "MSN- or Yahoo! Messenger or ICQ" is. I'm not on the computer too much, in fact, most of my internet time is spent at work and I have AOL at home, which I don't use that much. But I'll make mp3s of them for you and we'll figure something out. My email address is maestrojw2002@yahoo.com if you want to contact me directly.

MaestroJW! You think you could make an MP3 of it and maybe send to me by either MSN- or Yahoo! Messenger or ICQ? (If you have anything else you'd prefer I'll see what I can do about it). I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd do me this big favour :)

Not a problem... except I don't know what "MSN- or Yahoo! Messenger or ICQ" is. I'm not on the computer too much, in fact, most of my internet time is spent at work and I have AOL at home, which I don't use that much. But I'll make mp3s of them for you and we'll figure something out. My email address is maestrojw2002@yahoo.com if you want to contact me directly.

I guess you don't use any messengers then. Well, I'll send you a mail right away and thanks again! :music: