am i the only one who likes Shawn Murphy...

A24

...on Attack of the Clones? I only heard two tracks but can't wait for the Ultimate Edition. The sound quality is staggering, unbelievable out of this world. I know there has been a thread on him recently where he's been bashed a bit(and sometimes deservedly so), but man, if this guy is in the mood he sure rulez. Or is it the recording studio? Hmmmm...

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think just you at this point. I don't like the sound of Attack of the Clones that much. It has a very undefined sound. Compare that to Star Trek - Nemesis, recorded last year by Bruce Botnick and you'll hear a much more focused sounding orchestra.

Neil - waiting for Marian's response

I agree with Neil.

But the worst thing is that AOTC is actually one of Murphy's better recording jobs of recent years.

Minority Report sound rather poorly, as his work on The Scorpion King is really bad compared to Bruce Botnick and Dennis Sands did on the 2 earlier Mummy films.

His last really good sounding score was The Phantom Menace, IMO.

Stefancos- who's sure Marian will post in this thread to. :wave:

Is it also your opinion, Neil and Stefancos, that Jurassic Park is cream of the crop? That perhaps...caugh, caugh...this is superior sound engineering?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Swawn Murphy used to be one the best out there, Jurassic Park sounds brilliant, as do most of the scores he did with Horner (Willow, Braveheart, Apollo 13).

He used to be able to make the orchestra sound huge and epic, and still managed to keep the details of the composition and performance audible.

These days his work to often sounds flat, with the bass drowning out the details.

Williams needs to stick to Simon Rhodes, or start hiring Dennis Sands.

Stefancos- who thinks Braveheart is one of the best recorded scores ever.

Am I the only one who thinks that this "Am I the only one" stuff is getting old?

Ted

Perhaps it is you who is getting old, you do not think?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Nope. In fact, not to be mean or anything, that doesn't make very much sense.

Ted

Just because I've formulated the question in a certain monotonous copycat way it doesn't mean that the substance is of little significance or value. There are other threads if this bothers you.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm not bothered, I was simply posing a question. And that questioned has been answered.

Ted

Back to the topic: I agree Murphy used to be great (Hook, Horner scores, Summon the Heroes sounds absolutely stunning). Was JP done by him? I like that very much, great woodwind sound. But recently, he's become Shawn Mushy (copyright by Dinko :mrgreen:)...he seems to like drowning every counterpoint there is, thus making the music boring.

I don't recall the sound quality on AOTC in particular right now. I think I like the general sound of it, but my CD definitely has some rather strong hiss - the question is whether that's Murphy's fault or due to the stupid copy protection on the European discs.

Marian - who has classical CDs and soundtracks recorded by Rhodes and likes most of them a lot.

am i the only one who likes Shawn Murphy...

Well, there seems to be a supposed majority of heterosexuals on this board, so I would have to say "yes".

-Ross, who couldn't difference a bad mix from a good one if it hit him in the face.

I notice the bass drowning out the details and muddy sound too in Patriot especially,or cues like Abandonned in the Woods from A.I.It gives speakers set to play orchestral music a difficult time...unless you like listening to orchestral music with the sub-woofer on.

and whats that big "thump" in the middle of The Float like some big sound vaccum,that doesn't go eazy on the sound system either.

K.M.

Yeah, his later recordings sure push the bass envelope at bit.

Here are a few examples:

The 1960's: The Turbulent Years. The bassdrum is able to nuke every woofer in town.

Hook, Proloque. Again, the bassdrum hits at the superb ending are dangerously boomy at loud listenings. But who can control the volume knob with this track?

Stepmom. Overall, the double bass pizzicato is way too strong.

Is it possible that these albums are mixed in the same studio? If so, then the monitors are what's disorientating Shawn. They should be replaced.

----------------

Alex Cremers

There is nothing I hate more than too much bass!!! ;) Sure, sometimes it's necessary, but I'm paranoid about blowing my speakers and I hate having to switch the T-Bass on and off throughout the duration of a track. The worst JW offenders in my CD collection are Jaws and the last two movements of the Cello Concerto. I rarely listen to the former as a result, but nothing can make me stop loving the latter! :nono:

CYPHER

Than you've never heard Karajan's recording of the "Mars,..." from "The Planets" with Berliner Philharmoniker. The thundering bangs on kettledrum towards the peaks of the cue are quite unbearable, making the one heard in The Float insipid. Believe me, you don't really need sub-woofer. Ears could explode with frequencies below 20 Hz, which is exactly where Karajan's baton propelled the drummer...

Stefancos- who thinks Braveheart is one of the best recorded scores ever.

What Stefan thinks of Braveheart probably standing out as the best recorded soundtrack he has heard, my ears don't quite concur. I would hear Braveheart sounds about the same as Phantom Menace (but BH is a lot more thunderous than TPM and so unplayable on any portable headphones), yet for example The Land Before Time sticks out as slightly better balanced recording of the three. My favorite sound ever punched into a soundtrack recording, though, would have to be ... well, why not make a whole new topic about that, anyone?

CYPHER wrote:

The worst JW offenders in my CD collection are Jaws and the last two movements of the Cello Concerto.

Your right with Jaws and once again Shawn boosts the bassdrum to high voltage levels making fine sensitive speakers crack.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Personally, my favorite Murphy recording is for James Horner's The Rocketeer. Just listen to The Flying Circus... and incredible cue, beautifully captured!

-Erik-

CYPHER wrote:
The worst JW offenders in my CD collection are Jaws and the last two movements of the Cello Concerto.

Your right with Jaws and once again Shawn boosts the bassdrum to high voltage levels making fine sensitive speakers crack.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Glad to hear I'm not the only one in this predicament. My speakers may be petite, but they are tres sensitive! ;)

CYPHER