Williams' Sequel Trilogy vs Shore's Hobbit Trilogy vs Powell's Dragon trilogy - vote now!

Edmilson

What is the best trilogy of scores of the 2010s?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best trilogy of scores of the 2010s?

• John Williams' Star Wars Sequel Trilogy (2015-2019)
    • Howard Shore's The Hobbit Trilogy (2012-2014)
    • John Powell's How to Train Your Dragon trilogy (2010-2019)

It finally has come to this. Three memorable, well discussed and beloved trilogies of scores that made film score fans happy throughout the woeful decade for film music that was the 2010s.

But which one was the best? What trilogy do you like more, Shore's Hobbits, Williams' Sequels or Powell's Dragons? And why?

Let the final battle begin!

Just now, Jay said:

What about Silvestri's Avengers trilogy (kinda)

Thought about that, but the pesky Ultron score stopped it from at least the Avengers movies being full Silvestri, unlike the three trilogies of the poll.

Heitor Pereira also scored the Despicable Me trilogy

Brian Tyler scored all three Expendables films

Danny Elfman had the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy

Tyler Bates scored all three John Wick movies

Wow, am I gonna be the first one to vote for Hobbit? I don't know HTTYD3 yet and TFA has something that TLJ and TROS don't, so… yeah… Hobbit, even though I'm still furious about the dismissal of the Misty Mountains theme!

The ST not only has the best themes, it has the most coherent musical structure of all of the SW trilogies.  Of course, it is also the score to the weakest SW trilogy story, character, and everything else wise.  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The ST not only has the best themes, it has the most coherent musical structure of all of the SW trilogies.  Of course, it is also the score to the weakest SW trilogy story, character, and everything else wise.  

Ha, that one's up for debate!

I mean... I think there's no contender. I love the first HTTYD score but not so much the next two: I usually get bored before the first half of the CD. Shore's Hobbit is the weakest of the bunch for me which is a pity since his LOTR is beyond greatness.

Oh great, another bias-confirming thread. I never would've expected the Star Wars sequel scores to win a majority vote on a forum called 'JWFan'...

I think the Hobbit and HTTYD scores have a greater thematic integrity to them, but I love individual moments in the Star Wars scores more.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:13 AM, Richard Penna said:

I find that really interesting because for me, HTTYD 3 absolutely kicks the crap out of 1 & 2 - by this point Powell's thematic catalogue is so vast.

I can't really explain why I don't like it hahaha Maybe is that the new themes didn't stuck in my head. I should give the score a new opportunity...

On 2/28/2020 at 12:49 AM, Evanus said:

Thorin's theme though... and House of Durin!

The tragedy in that statement of Thorin’s theme as he’s ferried to the mountain in “In the Shadow of the Mountain.” It’s big and sweeping, but more than a bit foreboding. As the character is about to regain all that he’s lost, he loses himself.

It never fails to put a knot in my stomach. At another time, I found it strangely uplifting. Wonderful.

On 2/29/2020 at 2:32 AM, Josh500 said:

Yeah. Or Silvestri's BTTF trilogy? 😂 

What does that half to do with the 2010s?

I don't really like any of them that much (except for individual tracks), but if someone put a gun to my head, I guess I'd go for the STAR WARS sequels.

A tough choice but also found myself surprised to vote for HTTYD.

I love Williams writing and all as anyone on this forum, but most of the best material was from TFA with the subsequent scores having less and less striking moments and themes (I frankly can't hum "Resistance is reborn"). 

All three Dragons scores had fantastic thematic material, and I thought the orchestral writing in general was superior in the sequels, and it never collapsed under the number of melodies. 

(btw, for 2 and 3, actually the second part of the albums -from track 10 and 7 on respectively- are the best ones).

On 3/11/2020 at 12:15 AM, Jay said:

What does that half to do with the 2010s?

Well, if you remember, a large portion of BTTF Part II takes place in 2015... :D