Is it just me, or the late 2000s/early 2010s were the worst years for Hollywood movies ever?

Edmilson

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Everyone will make the same claim, sadly it *mostly* doesn't translate into discussions here.

Is that not primarily due to the subject matter of the message board and this forum in particular ("Film music, movies, television, other music...")? Surely one wouldn't expect posters' experiences of quantum mechanics, mountaineering and morris dancing to enter into the arguments on the state of Hollywood film-making?

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

But it’s been infinitely more rewarding and humbling to discover the movies that actually come up in my life, acting as little bonding agents with new friends or a crush or yes fellow cinephiles, aren’t things that I had to exert much time or mental energy into enjoying or appreciating whatsoever. All the theory and top 100 rankings go out the window. It still keeps coming back to the crap of my childhood and movies tied to memories and experiences.

I’m finding more value lately in what films have to offer outside themselves. Turns out Jim Carrey has given back more to me than Tarkovsky. That goes for whether I’m working in a warehouse or hanging out at a film festival.

This is great, should be a full article haha.

Everyone should still free to nerd out about film and watch 2-3 movies a day, but I completely agree with you. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The rather limited amount of subjects discussed in these threads here is also living proof of childhood hookings (examples almost invariably involve Alien, Blade Runner, Spielberg and Star Wars stuff, LOTR, Titanic, as well as Braveheart and Gladiator [...] It's a bubble, though.

I didn't see a single one of those films during childhood.

At the end of the day, we all consume film. And as consumers, there's nothing wrong with knowing what kinds of films you like and focusing on them. We don't need the "horizons" of a film school professor.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

That's for sure, but it neglects the fact that everything you experienced in your formative years has the same effect. The rather limited amount of subjects discussed in these threads here is also living proof of childhood hookings (examples almost invariably involve Alien, Blade Runner, Spielberg and Star Wars stuff, LOTR, Titanic, as well as Braveheart and Gladiator - the two last ones have to be attributed solely to Chen G. though).

It's a bubble, though, and facetious as it may sound, many here should probably do a few other things to broaden their horizon.

Yeah but that childhood pull is unavoidable to a large extent, it colors everything. Also I think, maybe unfortunately, often a lot of horizon-broadening ends up being private personal work, especially for a single nerdy dude like myself.....when you’re looking for commonalities with others it inevitably is going to circle back to pretty basic shit away from obscurities.

There’s always some middle ground to searching for exciting gems even if it’s just for you without being so out of touch or jaded culturally that we can’t relate to the people immediately around us. 

I know you’re not just talking about movies but I think that does also go for music, food, hobbies etc. Like Cremers I play piano and I think I’d be remiss if I didn’t know (and

enjoy) my Beatles and Billy Joel standards along with weirder playing addictions.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

I didn't see a single one of those films during childhood.

Maybe you just never grew up, then. 

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Is that not primarily due to the subject matter of the message board and this forum in particular ("Film music, movies, television, other music...")? Surely one wouldn't expect posters' experiences of quantum mechanics, mountaineering and morris dancing to enter into the arguments on the state of Hollywood film-making?

I think i cited the movies and topics that pose the limitation, nothing to do with higher physics or forestry.

I think he has a fair point. This board, like most fan communities, is very Hollywood-centric. Hence "limited interest in movies". Just look at the 'best of' lists every year.

I dunno, I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who thinks Prometheus didn't even get its visuals down. Everyone critical of the film always says, "but it's visuals are strong", yet I think they're quite unremarkable tbh. It's a very clean looking visual ID, but it's also extremely sterile and flat - like Steve Soderbergh made an Aliens flick. It's a very drab slice of science fiction composition, lacking in depth and "textural resonance" and frankly I consider it boring to look at. Purely from a visual perspective, Prometheus is an overly produced approximation of that franchise's universe, overshooting its intended landing spot.

9 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

A movie could have clunky dialogue and turn out great like Star Wars.

It is a myth that the original film has a bad script. The dialogue is pitch perfect and beautifully economical, all things considered.

It's very common; they shoot the movie in 4K resolution or higher, but finish it in 2K. So if they want to release a proper 4K version they'd have to redo all the CGI. 

When I saw Prometheus in theaters--for the first and last time, as of eight years on--I really loved that it felt like a true-blue science fiction film, such an extreme rarity now. 

4 hours ago, publicist said:

That's for sure, but it neglects the fact that everything you experienced in your formative years has the same effect. The rather limited amount of subjects discussed in these threads here is also living proof of childhood hookings (examples almost invariably involve Alien, Blade Runner, Spielberg and Star Wars stuff, LOTR, Titanic, as well as Braveheart and Gladiator - the two last ones have to be attributed solely to Chen G. though).

It's a bubble, though, and facetious as it may sound, many here should probably do a few other things to broaden their horizon.

Hey, we talk about other films! Just the other day for example I was watching 2001 for the eponymous time, and was thinking, "Is this film really as complicated as its reputation makes it out to be?"

32 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Hey, we talk about other films! Just the other day for example I was watching 2001 for the eponymous time, and was thinking, "Is this film really as complicated as its reputation makes it out to be?"

2001: ASO is one of the usual suspects, Parker. I think pubs means we should watch more underground European cinema. And no, 2001: ASO has a simple story but its questions are what make it complicated, I suppose. 

29 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

2001: ASO is one of the usual suspects, Parker. I think pubs means we should watch more underground European cinema. And no, 2001: ASO has a simple story but its questions are what make it complicated, I suppose. 

Should the Sun ever fail to rise in the east, or water cease to give life, there will always be solace in the constant that is Cremers.

1 hour ago, Evanus said:

It's very common; they shoot the movie in 4K resolution or higher, but finish it in 2K.

It still benefits from being from a source in a higher resolution, and obviously being digital its very clear and sharp and can be presented on pretty big screens without a hitch.

Also, it was shot in 3D, so you're getting two overlapping 2K images, therefore the resolution is closer to 3.5K or so.

I agree, its a beautiful-looking movie. Practically any Ridley Scott film is, which is why I always say that Ridley Scott is a great producer. I still think the script is a pretty big stumbling block for the movie.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

It is a myth that the original film has a bad script. The dialogue is pitch perfect and beautifully economical, all things considered.

I was referring to Attack of the Clones.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

Regarding movies, this forum has always been plagued by a mixture of nostalgia and arrogance, making any constructive discussion impossible. What is worse is that those who seem to have some professional position as critics are as clueless as the rest, making haphazard claims about cineastic quality.

3 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

THX certification stopped being a thing by the 2010s and now everything sucks. Coincidence? I think not.

Now all they seem to care about is whether it's in Atmos.

The six commandments according to Moses:

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Alien Resurrection
4. Alien Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien 3

You can close the thread now.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Senseless bickering on an internet message board bears zero importance. 

You're right, but I am asking you - is a reconciliation on an internet message board of any worth proportional to the time it takes to write the placatory words?

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

The six seven commandments according to Moses:

1. Alien

2. My Stepmother Is An Alien
3. Aliens
4. Alien Resurrection
5. Alien Covenant
6. Prometheus
7. Alien 3

You can close the thread now.