What's the best or your favourite Eminem album?

Brundlefly

What are your favourite Eminem albums? Chose three titles!  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite Eminem albums? Chose three titles!

• Infinite
    • The Slim Shady LP
    • The Marshall Mathers LP
    • The Eminem Show
    • Encore
    • Relapse/Refill
    • Recovery
    • The Marshall Mathers LP 2
    • Revival
    • Kamikaze
    • Music to Be Murdered By

Bringing some diversity to this forum. Last time I did this with Queen you ignored my poll. Don't do that again or Slim Shady will fucking kill you!

What is your favourite Eminem album and why? Do you listen to that kind of music at all? I wanna know.

Yes I listen to it. Just the Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers LPs. Eminem was one of the few major artists who said just about anything that was on his mind, even if it was ugly or made him vulnerable, to an extent that few others have done. It set him apart and still does. He's sometimes done this in a calculated way, and has to keep milking it now that it's been successful for him, but it felt raw and real in the beginning (even if it was already somewhat calculated).

"I'm like a head trip to listen to, ‘cause I'm only givin' you
Things you joke about with your friends inside your livin' room
The only difference is I got the balls to say it in front of y'all
And I don't gotta be false or sugarcoat it at all"

He didn't hold back on saying offensive shit, but it also extended to expressing himself emotionally. A lot of his lyrics are emotionally raw and I think a lot of people identified with that. You feel a connection to the artist that goes beyond just the surface level of admiring their music... you feel like you know them.

There are a lot of things I don't like about the guy, and I probably have only heard two or three albums - early ones.  But of them, The Eminem Show was the best.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

"I'm like a head trip to listen to, ‘cause I'm only givin' you

Things you joke about with your friends inside your livin' room
The only difference is I got the balls to say it in front of y'all
And I don't gotta be false or sugarcoat it at all"

Somehow, I don't think that was Walt Whitman ;)

I've never owned or listened to a whole Eminem album, but he's had some great songs over the years, that's for sure (hearing "Lose Yourself" at this year's Oscars was a treat!). If I am to listen to rap or hip-hop, however (which I don't do that often), I always go back to the ol' masters from the 80s and early 90s -- Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, that kind of stuff.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:12 AM, Thor said:

I've never owned or listened to a whole Eminem album, but he's had some great songs over the years, that's for sure (hearing "Lose Yourself" at this year's Oscars was a treat!). If I am to listen to rap or hip-hop, however (which I don't do that often), I always go back to the ol' masters from the 80s and early 90s -- Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, NWA, A Tribe Called Quest, that kind of stuff.

Good list, with that P-Funk influence! I'd definitely add Digital Underground on there.

22 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone like De La Soul?

Another apple from the P-Funk tree!

"Not Just Knee Deep" up the wazoo in this track.

As far as modern groups, I like Psyche Origami.

Why is the poll multiple choice?

Marshal Mathers LP all the way!

I did some of my first WAV editing with a track from this album, I made a version of "Criminal" that removed the opening skit and interlude skit

Nice, yeah I do the same for some hip-hop albums with too many interludes. A lot of times I leave them in and make them gapless so I can decide whether to skip them or not. Enter the Wu-Tang and Aquemini are good examples.

The only rap album I've ever owned was The Eminem Show, not really sure why I bought it, or if it was a gift or something. It was ok - I actually prefer more songs on The Marshall Mathers LP. But I only listen to maybe one or two rap songs per month, depending on my mood.

His earlier stuff is his best but has aged so poorly. For what seems like the best part of the last 15 years though his music Has consisted of him just shouting over the music. It’s pretty much all crap. 

Lose Yourself is still class though. 

New Kids on the Block suck a lotta dick, boy/girl groups me sick, and I can't wait till I catch all you fa****s in public, I'm goin' love it.

Hilarious

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Didn't he come out of the closet a few years ago on some talkshow, revealing that most of his songs really are about him being gay?

That's not information that Kim Jong-un would want you to know.

On 3/5/2020 at 12:08 PM, Bilbo said:

His earlier stuff is his best but has aged so poorly. For what seems like the best part of the last 15 years though his music Has consisted of him just shouting over the music. It’s pretty much all crap. 

Lose Yourself is still class though. 

While a lot of it is rooted in Bush administration politics, I still find songs like “White America” and “Square Dance” relevant today. 

“Without Me” is still a banger too. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/6/2020 at 9:46 PM, Koray Savas said:

While a lot of it is rooted in Bush administration politics, I still find songs like “White America” and “Square Dance” relevant today.

What about "Mosh"? And in terms of being relevant today, he just dropped a new bomb called "Darkness"!

I'm now familiar with all Eminem albums and I'd rank them as follows (not what my personal preference is, but what I think is objectively his best):

1. The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)
  2. The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (2013)
  3. The Eminem Show (2002)
  4. Music to Be Murdered By (2020)
  5. Kamikaze (2018)
  6. The Slim Shady LP (1999)
  7. Recovery (2010)
  8. Revival (2017)
  9. Encore (2004)
  10. Relapse (2009)
  11. Infinite (1996)

• 1 month later...

I used to love Eminem's older stuff as an angsty teenager, but I got sick of him. Nowadays he's a boomer who can't adapt to new trends in rap and sticks to the same old gimmicks of rapping really fast, diss tracks, and being angry. Kamikaze was literally just "old man yells at cloud".

• 3 months later...
On 6/24/2020 at 5:04 PM, Bespin said:

My favourite M&M are the blue ones.

Shine Beauty Beacon: M&M's Candy Mani

BTW, if there wasn't the candy, Eminem would probably have picked "M&M" as his artist name. But in the end, he worried about a law suit.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:41 PM, Brundlefly said:

Bringing some diversity to this forum. Last time I did this with Queen you ignored my poll. ...

Gee. I wonder why?

Hmmmm...

Oh, right; they suck!

Shouldn't 8 MILE be on that list?