• Justin Hurwitz
    • Bruce Broughton
    • Ennio Morricone
    • Austin Wintory
    • Howard Shore
    • Joe Kraemer
    • someone else

6 hours ago, Datameister said:

I'd be curious to hear JNH's take on the material, particularly if he were really encouraged to embrace the old-school cinematically symphonic sound that Williams emulated for the series.

Voted for James Newton Howard too.

He did a really good job on Fantastic Beasts too, I reckon.

Would also be up for a John Powell or David Arnold one.

Those together would probably be my top three.

You guys are so young! Have you all completely forgotten about Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal's brilliant YOUNG INDY scores?

If they're going for a straight-up Williams INDY pastiche, there are few better candidates than McNeely (Larry is basically retired now, at 93). And thanks to Seth MacFarlane, McNeely is still a contender for A-list projects, even if he doesn't have the "star" he did in the 90s.

But if it's going to be Mangold, it's natural to look at his previous collaborators. Mangold produced SOLO, and Powell certainly showed his chops in that one; his take on INDY could be just as interesting as STAR WARS. And then there's Beltrami, with whom Mangold has collaborated the most -- I would actually LOVE to see him branch out in this kind of territory.

But for now, let's just hope Williams sticks with it, MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA-style.

Only Williams. If they have to go with someone else, so at least Powell.

But even I him, or JNH, doing their own franchises instead of writing Williams pastiche. Just let JW be JW, and then the others find their voices. 

That said, the OP listed a lot of great people that I would love to see scoring more big budget franchise movies, from Kraemer to Wintory to Arnold. Come on, Hollywood, give these guys a chance!

2 hours ago, Thor said:

You guys are so young! Have you all completely forgotten about Joel McNeely and Laurence Rosenthal's brilliant YOUNG INDY scores?

I'm a huge fan of Young Indy and the music in that series.  But a whole Indiana Jones film.......I want JW doing it.

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I'm a huge fan of Young Indy and the music in that series.  But a whole Indiana Jones film.......I want JW doing it.

We all do! But since this topic was about alternatives, McNeely would be the top contender for me.

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

We all do! But since this topic was about alternatives, McNeely would be the top contender for me.

I guess I would agree with you, McNeely could produce something nice, but I can't picture Disney NOT using a big name.

My choice would be "other", namely Christopher Young.

Other interesting but also unlikely choices would be Trevor Jones or David Arnold.

On the more likely options I'd go with Powell over Giacchino, but if Giacchino is chosen I hope he has time to properly work on the score instead of having to provide a last minute replacement.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

I guess I would agree with you, McNeely could produce something nice, but I can't picture Disney NOT using a big name.

There are no 'big names' in film music if you're not a nerd like us. No one except me goes to sit through a movie purely because John Powell's scoring it. 

Or because Bryce Dallas Howard's in it.

4 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

There are no 'big names' in film music if you're not a nerd like us.

Fair enough, to a degree.  But I did mean it in the sense that we know the 'big names.'

I'd have loved John Ottman, but whatever I enjoyed about X2 and Superman Returns didn't get to show up much in the 2010s. I'd still like to see him try a SW flick, but for Indy, Powell pretty much is my safe pick for now.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

whatever I enjoyed about X2 and Superman Returns didn't get to show up much in the 2010s.

I remember that score from the Jack the Giant Killer movie being pretty good, my favorite from him.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I remember that score from the Jack the Giant Killer movie being pretty good, my favorite from him.

Which is why I said much of the 2010s. Been meaning to listen to it soon.

I'd say my top 5 picks would be

1. Alan Menken

2. David Arnold

3. Marco Beltrami 

4. Brian Tyler 

5. Michael Giacchino 

20 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

There are no 'big names' in film music if you're not a nerd like us. 

It is an interesting thought because it does say something that Hans Zimmer played Coachella, but then again doesn’t say much when you look at his billing:

8ABFC825-DA71-47A4-921F-0AC1A021DE52.jpeg

Wonder if he’d still be above DJ Khaled three years later.

13 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Wonder if he’d still be above DJ Khaled three years later.

Not a chance.  Tove Lo would likely rank above him as well at this point.

Although I'm not convinced Porter Robinson and Madeon would be bigger draws than Zimmer at this point.  EDM's popular renaissance has faded a little bit.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

And Elfman is playing Coachella this year.

Zimmer is certainly as big as any big rock star these days.

He’s in the mix, anyway.

Does the big Z sell as well as Trans Siberian Orchestra?

Well, at least in the US, Zimmer and TSO both played at similar sized venues in the big cities.  TSO played a lot of mid-sized markets (Hershey, PA, Sunrise, FL, Duluth, GA), and I'd bet that Zimmer wouldn't have a ton of traction in those smaller markets.

No Giacchino because I don't want every other cue to be a pun or cutesy joke...

scene where Mutt talks about how many Marys he's been with.

cue name:  Mutt the Slut

:eh:

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

No Giacchino because I don't want every other cue to be a pun or cutesy joke...

scene where Mutt talks about how many Marys he's been with.

cue name:  Mutt the Slut

:eh:

I don't want Giacchino doing Indy either, but let's not forget that Gia did release Rogue One with serious titles. I see no reason he wouldn't do the same for Indy, even if his actual studio titles are punnier.

I remember reading somewhere that Gia's puntastic cue names weren't his ideas. Someone from his team started doing that as a way of bringing some humour to an always tense scoring stage, and he went along with that, probably because it's his trademark now.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I remember reading somewhere that Gia's puntastic cue names weren't his ideas. Someone from his team started doing that as a way of bringing some humour to an always tense scoring stage, and he went along with that, probably because it's his trademark now.

I like bringing humour into things.

Changing them back to something serious is easy enough for those so inclined.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s his music editor. He also hates everyone who complains about them ;)

I guess it's sort of fun to do it for one film, if there were a specific reason, but for every score? Not a fan.

'Normal' track titles give a bit more of a clue of what's going on in the scene and help to understand the music.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

'Normal' track titles give a bit more of a clue of what's going on in the scene and help to understand the music.

It's a good way to avoid spoilers then.

And let the music tell its own story.

(Admittedly... I do like stylish track names myself too.)

Powell is better than ever and Solo rules so he'd be my guy.

Monuments Men is a decent Indy audition so I'd be optimistic about Desplat. 

JNH, Silvestri, Giacchino, and Elfman have been in kinda hacky territory for awhile but JNH is the most "on" lately.

Everybody else on the list seems kinda wrong for it (Zimmer, Newman, Junkie) or improbable (Arnold, Broughton, Shore, Morricone) or they're wildcards (Wintory, Hurwitz, Kraemer)

Beltrami is probably in heavy contention, not sure what that would be like. 

I wish Horner was still alive. 

Not aware enough or a big enough fan of anybody else to really go to bat for them. Hope it's Williams.