Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

Just now, Amer said:

Yes most International flights stand canceled. 

That hadn't occurred to me. Anything ordered right now via LLL for international customers could sit in a LA warehouse for 6-12 months until international flights return to normal.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

That hadn't occurred to me. Anything ordered right now via LLL for international customers could sit in a LA warehouse for 6-12 months until international flights return to normal.

No. Flights have been cancelled only for human passengers. Not for cargo, products, and other stuff. 

No post office services for awhile which means all our packages are piling up on top of others, getting

tossed around, damaged, cracked awaiting to reach their owners.....'oh the Horror of it!:|

50 minutes ago, theMaestraX said:

all our packages are piling up on top of others, getting tossed around, damaged, cracked awaiting to reach their owners

Good to see it's pretty much business as usual for Royal Mail then!

5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Post offices still open here, but my package is still stuck in the US according to the tracking info.

Possibly they are not even updating the tracking info.... 

14 hours ago, Amer said:

There is hope. But we have a lock down in my city for 2 weeks so all post offices are closed. 

Mail is still being delivered, I understand, even in the incompetent, mediaeval EU! 

(And no, the UK is not one bit better.)

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Post offices still open here, but my package is still stuck in the US according to the tracking info.

I have this recurring image of the whole world being consumed and destroyed by the virus, and a few of us still patiently, stubbornly waiting for our copies of Far and Away to arrive.... 

Too real for comfort. :crymore:

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

I guess the CD is still Far and Away for most people.  That's funny because it is also the name of the CD.  

You could say Far and Away is still far and away! 😅 

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Because you wanted to add more to the order?

Nope.Because I wanted to avail the 30% discount. My local currency just got a steep devaluation because of this pandemic. Intrada was was very understanding when I told them why.

1 hour ago, Amer said:

Nope.Because I wanted to avail the 30% discount. My local currency just got a steep devaluation because of this pandemic. Intrada was was very understanding when I told them why.

Of course! I'd forgotten about the sale even though I placed an order myself during the weekend. :lol: Our currency also currently has a very bad exchange rate. :(

3 hours ago, Amer said:

I luckily cancelled my Intrada order of both F& A and The SWARM and had it re-ordered via La La Land. Due to a technical issue which doesnt allow me to place order directly on LLL's website; so I had to call and place my order on phone to MV Gerhard himself. What a solid nice guy he is. Its always great talking to the guy. Hats off to the LLL team for being there and doing their job.

You should have mentioned the cheap jewelcases.

I saw an DHL boeing fly over house yesterday.  But no mail from post office either even though they are open today. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Especially those for three- or four-CD-sets.

I have a bunch of replacement jewelcases for 1 and 2 disc sets, but if La-La Land keeps producing so many outstanding releases and especially 3 and 4 disc sets, I'm fucked. I just don't like how they wrap gold in shit.

29 minutes ago, John Chambers said:

Mine has just been delivered here in the UK too. Tracking still has it in transit between facilities in the US so perhaps there isn't as much of a backlog as thought.

Ooh, I'll stop checking my tracking status then.

I'm a bit intrigued by Mike's discussion of the leitmotifs. He counts seven of them: blowing off steam, Ireland, ancestral theme, main theme, Joe Sr, the fighting Donnelly's, Joseph/Shannon (my two words).

First, I had always thought that the Ireland bagpipe theme wasn't a theme because it only returns once and that the ancestral one was actually the Ireland theme. For example, it plays at the end of Shannon Is Shot, which I always interpreted as ‘your only way forward is back to Ireland', so I don't quite understand what that has to do with ancestry. The main theme was always ‘the promise of America' theme in my mind. But that's just semantics.

What I don't understand, though, is why the fighting Donnelly's, Joe Sr and blowing off steam are called leitmotifs. Can you call anything a leitmotif as long as it returns just once in a score? By that logic, shouldn’t Ron/the Weasleys have their own leitmotif in HP1 and 2 too?

21 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What I don't understand, though, is why the fighting Donnelly's, Joe Sr and blowing off steam are called leitmotifs. Can you call anything a leitmotif as long as it returns just once in a score? By that logic, shouldn’t Ron/the Weasleys have their own leitmotif in HP1 and 2 too?

If it's heard at least two times it could be classified as a theme, I think. The key word is "could." It can be, but doesnt necessarily have to be.... Anyway, this isn't an exact science! It's just a matter of interpretation. 

In the case of "Blowing Off Steam", I would definitely call it a theme or leitmotiv. 

23 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Especially those for three- or four-CD-sets.

That's why I have been hoarding those, by picking up cheap used CDs that are 3 or 4 (or even 6) disc sets...

IMG_20200331_1239517~2.jpg

IMG_20200331_1240021~2.jpg

IMG_20200331_1240081~2.jpg

Fortunately these are all the stronger variants that don't buckle and snap as easily as the ones LLL uses.

22 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

I have a bunch of replacement jewelcases for 1 and 2 disc sets, but if La-La Land keeps producing so many outstanding releases and especially 3 and 4 disc sets, I'm fucked. I just don't like how they wrap gold in shit.

I've possibly mentioned this before, but I do it again. Lately, I've been purchasing replacement cases from Europadisc. I haven't yet had the need to buy their thick cases for up to four discs, but the standard cases and thin double cases I've purchased are good. Here's their thick case:

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/67547/Thick_Double_Jewel_Case_(for_up_to_4_discs).htm

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

That's why I have been hoarding those

What was your exact address now again?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That's right. Twice is enough, once is not enough (that sounds like a Bond title, btw). Note that theme and leitmotif can be two different things. A theme can appear once in a film and still be a theme. A leitmotif is also a theme, but must appear at least twice to qualify as a leitmotif. It's the 'leit' part that is important, meaning 'lead'. A theme of this kind is ascribed to a person, object, place or concept and "leads" you through the story.

It can be confusing, though. Wagner himself used the word 'Grundthemen' initially, untill the music critic Hans von Wollzogen coined the phrase 'leitmotif' when talking about the composer's work.

That prankster Wollzogen. :)

Seriously though, you should write a book on film music. :)

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

IMG_20200331_1240081~2.jpg

Those to the right, for old 2 CD sets, are impossible to find new nowadays.

23 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Those to the right, for old 2 CD sets, are impossible to find new nowadays.

Yes they are, fortunately I have at least 20 or so and add to them whenever I find a cheap multi-disc set. I also have a stash of brand new Super Jewel Cases (all three sizes) in case I get a used CD or DVD that uses those variants and needs a refurb ;)

5 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Yes they are, fortunately I have at least 20 or so and add to them whenever I find a cheap multi-disc set. I also have a stash of brand new Super Jewel Cases (all three sizes) in case I get a used CD or DVD that uses those variants and needs a refurb ;)

The single super jewel cases at Europadics are the real thing - same as several major labels use.

https://www.europadisc.co.uk/classical/94582/Super_Audio_Jewel_Case.htm

8 hours ago, Thor said:

That's right. Twice is enough, once is not enough (that sounds like a Bond title, btw). Note that theme and leitmotif can be two different things. A theme can appear once in a film and still be a theme. A leitmotif is also a theme, but must appear at least twice to qualify as a leitmotif. It's the 'leit' part that is important, meaning 'lead'. A theme of this kind is ascribed to a person, object, place or concept and "leads" you through the story.

You might even get away with only using a leitmotif once. As far as I remember, the "Erlösungsmotiv" from Der Ring des Nibelungen first appears in the last act of Die Walküre, where it's only used once. It does reappear prominently to conclude Götterdämmerung, which was written later, but even its single occurence in Die Walküre is such a key moment that it clearly stands out as a leitmotiv, even without what comes after.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Got my copy today! I asked LLL to wrap it carefully and they delivered on that too. I really hope they'll survive this madness. Might listen to some of it in a bit.

Me too, together with The Swarm. :music: