Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

Huh, I just noticed a really bad bit of tracking in the movie. In the last scene, when Joseph 'comes back to life', they replaced JW's original composition with part of The Reunion, which is so stupid because JW's intention would have been far, far superior and the scene now has an overload of the America theme.

I love this score. Heck i really like 90s Williams, the 80s are better but being born in 1983, I think the later decade is more representative for my life. I decided that my "holy grail" is having all the 90s scores released in complete form.....

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What JW fans are expecting: complete The Phantom Menace and JFK

What JW fans will actually get: expanded Stepmom, expanded Angela's Ashes, Sleepers, Presummed Innocent...

Bring it!

On 4/13/2020 at 7:14 PM, fommes said:

I received the CD, it's a great release. Regarding the score, it's a shame the 'Ireland' theme in the opening track is used only twice, but I've always liked the Irish flavour to the score.

Uh, it is throughout the score, unless you mean the athematic Bagpipe intro....

Track 1, Track 7 (small quote), track 08, track 13, (small quote), track 15, track 18, track 20, track 22 (small quote), disc 2, track 4, 

But yest track 1 and 20 are the only ones that it plays in its entirety.

It could just be a glitch causing it to not be listed right now on the site, but I know they were expecting more copies, per this MV post from 2 weeks ago:

Just an FYI

We hope later this month before the sale ends we will have the following titles back in stock

LADYHAWKE
FAR AND AWAY
STARGATE
BTAS VOL 4

Maybe Superman 2/3

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=139722&forumID=1&archive=0

Of course, the pandemic could have changed the situation since that post, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've listened to this score three times now on the new release waiting for a game changing revelation or the realisation that this is in fact a great score. But I have to admit, it left me surprisingly cold and I really gave it a couple of chances. The term "nice" and a shrug is all that it gets out of me. It's gooey Williams on auto-pilot with little innovative integration of Irish influences - enjoyable, but not fascinating in any way. It's a similar concept to Rosewood - an emotional core surrounded by traditional textures - the difference is that Rosewood does this to spine-chillingly brilliant fashion. The expansion is not very essential. This time, I agree with Thor, but not for the same reasons.

I completely disagree with that review, but obviously respect it. What I do want to say is that it's never the job of an OST to make a boring score enjoyable by removing uninteresting cues. If a score drags, it's because it's bad, not because the album is too long. A good score can be as long as it needs to be as far as I'm concerned.

@TownerFan and @mahler3 have a new audio interview with Mike Matessino about this release (and The River) on the Legacy of John Williams podcast feed!

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2020/05/12/mike-matessino-far-and-away-the-river/

• 1 month later...

Ok i inquired LLL again about my order, three months overdue... Its strange they did not answer my previous email really

I used info@lalaland-ent.com which is what they ask in the main page...but the next time i will use the contact us form that always worked in the past...

On 5/10/2020 at 4:00 PM, bollemanneke said:

What I do want to say is that it's never the job of an OST to make a boring score enjoyable by removing uninteresting cues. If a score drags, it's because it's bad, not because the album is too long. A good score can be as long as it needs to be as far as I'm concerned.

There are scores that get more versatile on C&Cs, there have been such cases for me. The Russia House is one example and The Terminal will turn out to be another one, trust me. Even if the C&C still remains too long, you can cut out all the redundancies that are often featured on the OST.

18 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ok i inquired LLL again about my order, three months overdue... Its strange they did not answer my previous email really

I used info@lalaland-ent.com which is what they ask in the main page...but the next time i will use the contact us form that always worked in the past...

Might I suggest you use matt@lalaland-ent.com & state your concerns.

• 3 months later...