Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

• 4 weeks later...

The Land Race in-film never sat right with me, I felt the edit missed sync points and wasn't mixed that well.

So here's an iso restoration for just that! I had to slow a slowmo shot further down, I reordered 5 shots, and included a single black screen.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, rough cut said:

So I’m finally getting ’round to this one.

Of course, had to pair it with an Irish whiskey.

By the way, love the name of that dram!

F628A992-2CF8-4DD2-ACBF-9265C6700A29.jpeg

Beautiful photo. I know nothing of cigars but I enjoy some whiskey. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2021 at 6:05 PM, bollemanneke said:

LLL e-mail says last batch has arrived. How did this sell out more quickly than HP? Very happy it did though.

Quantities around 3500 seem a sweet spot for the labels these days.

18 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And I listened to mine again today. Sounds too shrill.

Actually I agree with this. I was listening to this a few weeks ago and the sound was weirdly very sharp and also a bit thumpy at the same time.

Could have been something either the original recording I guess.

• 1 month later...

I listened to this album, well the main program, yesterday after not having heard it in a while.

Does anyone here have any opinions you want to share about the bonus section, like any alternate versions you like more than the versions in the main program or anything?

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does anyone here have any opinions you want to share about the bonus section, like any alternate versions you like more than the versions in the main program or anything?

I very much prefer the main program versions of both the actually different alternates. Oklahoma Territory's not bad.

Aye, I remembering preferring the original, as first written openings to The Big Match and Oklahoma Territory more than the Inserts that were recorded to replace them with different music.  I'm glad in both case Johnny's original version is the one in the main program

I think for John Sr's Passing I prefer the original ending over the revised ending too, but it's been a while and I don't remember exactly

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think for John Sr's Passing I prefer the original ending over the revised ending too, but it's been a while and I don't remember exactly

Isn't that revised ending just a shortening that removes material?

• 3 weeks later...

The OST offers a lighter program, wich suits well the lyricism of the main themes written by Williams. 

In the other hand, the score contains darker parts, which can appear "uncalled".

Well, that's... a score!

I think I prefer the alt of Big Match, as it feels more unified using that action theme for the opening, instead of all the other themes (which is also good, don't misunderstand me)

• 3 months later...

Tried it again and my final conclusion: the meh score of the decade. Very generic writing, sugary atmosphere, nothing special at all. I love the Williams years 1991 with Hook and JFK as well as 1993 with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, but 1992... must be the least interesting year he has had.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Tried it again and my final conclusion: the meh score of the decade. Very generic writing, sugary atmosphere, nothing special at all. I love the Williams years 1991 with Hook and JFK as well as 1993 with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, but 1992... must be the least interesting year he has had.

I love the score, but I get this sort of reaction to it.  I think I am a sucker for the fully orchestrated  and sustained "dance" music, which we do not get too much with Williams--Devil's Dance and this (well, Swing, Swing, Swing, but way to close to the original).  The suite is really nice, as it features both such themes.  But the main pastoral theme is good, but not great.  

• 3 months later...

Today I discovered a nice arrangement of the film's themes I hadn't heard before!  OK, I technically had, but forgot about it until today.  It's John Williams conducting the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, for the 1997 album "Cinema Serenade".  Check it out!

Sony also put this recording on the "Greatest Hits 1969 - 1999" album

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just going through this great release and wanted to say that the performance of the first part of the credits is so utterly uninspiring! I liked it okay at first, but the Berlin Phil's rendition is simply on another level. Really surprised.

• 1 month later...

"

JOHN WILLIAMS SPECIAL!

Our celebration of the maestro’s 90 years and our new JURASSIC PARK re-issue continues with great prices on some of his brilliant titles! Get SCHINDLER’S LIST and FAR & AWAY 2-CD sets at an amazing price of ONLY $25 EACH
and his SAVING PRIVATE RYAN for ONLY $10 EACH!!!!

"

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2jw9l1--zw34g-ag4f6q6

Aw, c’mon, I’d just about made my peace with not buying the expanded F&A and then this happens.

Can I consider $25 for something I’d previously decided I neither wanted nor needed as a charitable donation to a worthy cause? If so, will it make the definitive Hook expansion more likely?

Mark

Everything you buy from LLL helps them stay in business and make more expansions/premieres possible

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Everything you buy from LLL helps them stay in business and make more expansions/premieres possible

If you don't buy it MV will have to put his puppy out on the street? 

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Yeah, I know that. It was a disguised form of humour.