Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

• 6 months later...

I have quite a lot of self-respect and can live just fine with the original CD, which is one of my least played JW soundtracks, together with Minority Report and War of the Worlds (which is why I do not need those expansions as well). On the other hand, soundtracks like Tintin are regularly played and I would be first in line for an expanded edition. Somehow I seem to prefer the "French" sound to the "Irish". :-)

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Not being critical but have you considered that expansions might enhance your opinions of these scores and make you want to listen to them more often? That's been my experience with almost every Mike Matessino expansions; after hearing his expanded presentations, I almost never revisit JW's album presentations. And scores I never listened to in their OST form (eg: Always, Presumed Innocent) suddenly got heaps of airtime after being fleshed out with expanded presentations.

All 3 of the scores you mentioned were revelatory experiences in their expanded form. In the case of Minority Report, the improvement in sound quality alone made the score vastly more listenable.

Exactly my experience. I am rather interested in expansions of scores that I hardly listen to, because often the expansion offers a new different access to the score.

My purchases of the expanded WotW and MR were some time after their release, but in neither case were they important or significant purchases for me (bearing in mind my fandom of JW is pretty casual compared to most here).

I primarily got them to free both scores from Williams' meddling and to get the best possible sound quality. I was astonished at how bad the OST of Worlds sounds compared to MM's expansion.

There's a limit - no MM expansion is going to make me enjoy a score I didn't like in the first place, but for those cases where I've had an OST for a couple of decades and I like the bulk of it, I'm probably going to get the expansion eventually.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Not being critical but have you considered that expansions might enhance your opinions of these scores and make you want to listen to them more often? That's been my experience with almost every Mike Matessino expansion; after hearing his expanded presentations I almost never revisit JW's album presentations.

And scores I never listened to in OST form (Always, Presumed Innocent) suddenly got heaps of airtime after being fleshed out with expanded presentations.

This is not my experience in most cases. There are exception like Amistad or The Lost World, which I did not like as OST, but grew on me in expanded form, but normally it is just more of the same or similar.  Either I like it or not. If I like it, great, bring it on. If not, eh not so much. Indeed with Always and Presumed Innocent the expanded soundtrack did not change much in my perception of the music. Those 2 are really the reason that I am now more selective, since I did not listen to them any more after the first 2 listens just after purchase. Just same old, although Always has a nice alternate that I like, so it is not a total loss.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I find, it has one of the best love themes, Williams has ever written.

Yes, but he should have been more creative in its accompanying chords. He does this great thing in the bass line during Into the Bath and Joseph and Shannon that he never does anywhere else, a sort of descending scale. 2:40 in the latter track.

On 23/01/2023 at 4:13 PM, Jay said:

LAST CALL!!!

We are down to 150 units of John William's epic score to FAR AND AWAY

On 16/02/2023 at 6:29 PM, Jay said:

Less than 75 units in stock at La La Land, once gone this title will be OUT OF PRINT

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150523&forumID=1&archive=0

There's less than 40 left now!

Don't miss out!

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150515&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=571#bottom

https://lalalandrecords.com/far-and-away-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

Just a guess but I’d say $60-$80.  It’s a lesser known Williams, non-franchise title, with a decent OST. 

I think it’s priceless. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...