Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

:eh:

JWFan licence revoked.

I bought the Disaster boxset without having seen Towering Inferno or Earthquake. 

I don't know, I've just never had the want to sit down and watch Far and Away, but perhaps I will seeing as it's now got an expanded release...

Is it just me, or does Nicole Kidman have an incredibly slim waist on that cover... That's gotta be photoshop! :D

4 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I don't know, I've just never had the want to sit down and watch Far and Away, but perhaps I will seeing as it's now got an expanded release...

Far and Away is a pretty good movie. Enjoyable, fun, emotional. Good cinematography, good story, and (of course) good music. I have no idea why it bombed at the box office...

Listened to the OST and watched the movie today. I'll probably get this, even if not instantly. At times I expected it to break out into Plowing! That damn pan flute is the only thing I'm really iffy about. 2 seconds of the song were enough to convince me I'm really glad it's not on here.

Movie's dumb and simpleton but not offensively horrible; it's perfectly watchable and occasionally looks nice if you can get past Cruise's "accent".

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Man, this gives me goosebumps.... 

This was written more or less a year before Jurassic Park! You can feel the same energy and raw power in the music. 

That little horn and strings bit in the above video while Joseph and Shannon kiss sounded very Journey to the Island.

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

I bought the Disaster boxset without having seen Towering Inferno or Earthquake. 

Oh, you don't have to see it. Just listen to the OST! :)

26 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I hate to say this, but...I'm probably the only JWfaner who has absolutely no interest in this score, whatsoever.

Sorry, but there it is.

That's probably just because you're Scottish. ;)

1 hour ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

2005 re use fees ;(

War of the Worlds is safe from the new LA union fees, made it through by a few months (sadly Memoirs of a Geisha did not).

Interesting that LLL have released three Cruise expansions in the last 5 months. I believe Cruise signs off on any artwork featuring his image, so presumably these releases all went across his desk for approvals. Would make sense if they did a batch of releases in one go, so perhaps there's more to come? Wouldn't be surprised to see WOTW later this year (no LA fees, another Spielberg score and not a studio LLL have issues with).

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

War of the Worlds is safe from the new LA union fees, made it through by a few months (sadly Memoirs of a Geisha did not).

Oh cool!

No comment on this particular release, as you would expect.

But the score is so good, one of my alltime favourites by JW (in his best-ever decade).

Interestingly, this was the first-ever JW release that was ONLY released on CD -- no accompanying LP release. Well, and cassette, of course, but who counts that these days? 

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

But the score is so good, one of my alltime favourites by JW (in his best-ever decade).

Interestingly, this was the first-ever JW release that was ONLY released on CD -- no accompanying LP release. Well, and cassette, of course, but who counts that these days? 

So I have to ask, do you purchase these expansions ever?

8 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Just received an email that my order is already awaiting shipment, maybe it will go out before the 13th?

They always do that so I wouldn't read too much into it.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not just months, but days!  There's a quote from Mike that explains the whole thing floating around somewhere that I can't find at the moment

WOTW is one of the scores that are very high on my list. And it also turns 15 this year. One can hope...

Karol

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Interesting that LLL have released three Cruise expansions in the last 5 months. I believe Cruise signs off on any artwork featuring his image, so presumably these releases all went across his desk for approvals. Would make sense if they did a batch of releases in one go, so perhaps there's more to come?

War of the Worlds and Born on the Fourth of July:wub:

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Wait, what? I never knew that previous scores came out on LP in the past along with CDs.

If Erik Woods now edits expanded John Williams scores, we are in big trouble. These are "no money" productions.

But at least if he finally found his way, because as a radio animator....

-Bespin-

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

If Erik Woods now edits expanded John Williams scores, we are in big trouble. These are "no money" productions.

But at least if he finally found his way, because as a radio animator....

1) I only edited the video.

2) I'm a damn good radio show host. I may have insecurities else where but I'm proud of CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO.  

-Erik-

42 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Pheeeeeeew, you almost ruined the sellings of this new expansion!

Having said that... I'd make for a fantastic music editor as well. 

-Erik-

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I hate to say this, but...I'm probably the only JWfaner who has absolutely no interest in this score, whatsoever.

Sorry, but there it is.

No, you're not. I'm more interested in the Days of Thunder expansion than this Frisbee. 

Who among you guys here got the Expanded Mission: Impossible from Elfman? Is that worth getting? I have only the OST album, and I feel like all the highlights are there (3 tracks)... 😂 

I'd love to hear the story behind the choice of that font for the title logo, if there is indeed a story to be told. I'm guessing the studio wanted it, otherwise I can't imagine why it was chosen.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorry, but there it is.

3 hours ago, woj said:

No, you're not. I'm more interested in the Days of Thunder expansion than this Frisbee. 

You two are heathens!

30 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

I'd love to hear the story behind the choice of that font for the title logo, if there is indeed a story to be told. I'm guessing the studio wanted it, otherwise I can't imagine why it was chosen.

Well, it was apparently an official poster. One of them, anyway. I myself have never seen it before, but if it actually was, then it's self-evident. 

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Well, it was apparently an official poster. One of them, anyway. I myself have never seen it before, but if it actually was, then it's self-evident. 

And so it is...

MV5BN2FiZTMzOGQtODQ2Ny00ZGFlLThiMDgtMTdh

My OCD feels better now knowing it's from back in the day. Wierd that I've never seen it before.

I'm guessing this was the teaser poster and the filmmakers / studio decided to revise the font prior to the film's release.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Sorry, but there it is.

Your ears probably just need a good washing! :)