Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's ordered.

Along with Minority Report, The Swarm, and Stargate.

You still haven't ordered Minority Report:eh:

21 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the point of keeping up? We're soon gonna die of the Coronavirus anyway*.

*According to @Blumenkohl.

You are! 

Not me. :P

37 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I'm several expansions and Williams osts behind ..

I haven't gotten the Disaster Boxset yet. 😂 

Oh, I've heard it, since a friend of mine has bought it on day one, but I keep putting it off so far. Also, I don't have the expanded Monsigneur yet. 

Anyone know if this release was this sourced from new scans of the master tapes, or taken from existing digital masters, like the Schindler's List expansion?

15 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Anyone know if this release was this sourced from new scans of the master tapes, or taken from existing digital masters, like the Schindler's List expansion?

Looking at the samples' spectrogram, I'd say digital masters. No idea if it's the same masters that were used for the OST though.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's the point of keeping up? We're soon gonna die of the Coronavirus anyway*.

*According to @Blumenkohl.

I heard the tripods in WOTW were the ones who actually brought that virus here. Maybe a future OST expansion will carry a sample of the virus in the bonus section.

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

You still haven't ordered Minority Report:eh:

Ordering a single album from the US is not feasible, and when I ordered other stuff it was out of stock.

I'm still waiting for that new thing they were going to do to ease overseas expenses...

So LLL, will it be implemented when all of Williams' catalogue has been released and out of print? ;P

I'm looking at doing the same thing for JNH's Alive - waiting for Intrada to release something else I want. It costs nearly as much to ship as a single release is worth - it's ridiculous.

Agreed with all the above. I can't justify buying single releases anymore due to the ridiculous overseas shipping costs. So I have to wait until LLL have 2-3 titles I want before ordering (and for them to all be in stock, which is becoming rare). 

I usually break that rule and buy it anyway if it's a really important (to me) release, but for scores that I merely 'like', I'm not in so much of a hurry.

I did that with The Mummy Returns when Apollo 13 came out.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I usually break that rule and buy it anyway if it's a really important (to me) release, but for scores that I merely 'like', I'm not in so much of a hurry.

I did that with The Mummy Returns when Apollo 13 came out.

I'm from the states, but I do understand the issue with the cost of shipping in other countries, but it seems that if you don't bite the bullet on the shipping when it's first released, then you are going to be paying way more to purchase it from a re-seller (amazon, ebay..) or miss out on it completely.  Pick your poison?

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't believe any label has ever used actors involved as a factor to determine which scores to license from the film studios

Well, we're all humans. Maybe it's not exactly likely to happen this way, but it's at least possible. Stranger things have happened. The way we're talking and speculating now, those responsible for licencing might also be thinking, "Mission Impossible, Minority Report, Far and Away. Hmmm. Let's see what other Tom Cruise projects we could have a crack at next." 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, we're all humans. Maybe it's not exactly likely to happen this way, but it's at least possible. Stranger things have happened. The way we're talking and speculating now, those responsible for licencing might also be thinking, "Mission Impossible, Minority Report, Far and Away. Hmmm. Let's see what other Tom Cruise projects we could have a crack at next." 

I guarantee no label head would think that way.  It's a ludicrous business plan.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's one of my favorite expanded albums of the entire 2010s.  I think it's a brilliant score, and the expanded presentation of it is brilliant.  The additional music fleshes out the score and features some really fun and quirky new passages, and the new mastering is absolutely top notch.  That being said, the OST certainly was a very good assembly of highlights of the score, and if you are not a fan of the OST, then the expanded presentation won't change your mind.

No, I like it quite a lot. It's certainly one of Elfman's best efforts. Not sure yet whether I want to splash out on the expanded album, though... 

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

No, I like it quite a lot. It's certainly one of Elfman's best efforts. Not sure yet whether I want to splash out on the expanded album, though... 

Oh, if you like the OST a lot then the expanded album is a must-have.  It's like a longer, better version of an album you already like.  It doesn't ever drag at all, all the new music enhances the experience and never takes away from pacing or anything, in fact I'd argue the pacing of the complete score is better.  And the new mastering is a serious improvement, it just sounds FANTASTIC now

16 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Plus we all know how actors like their ego stroked...  Cruise might be liking all the recent attention if his approvals are needed on these. 

2 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

Plus we all know how actors like their ego stroked...  Cruise might be liking all the recent attention if his approvals are needed on these. 

Reminds me of one of the extra tracks on the Dances with Wolves expanded release:

27. Kevin Costner in the Studio 0:35

We've heard of expanded releases waiting on actors' approval before, so it's certainly possible that multiple projects featuring the same actor could be held up and start to accumulate until the actor finally approves them.

1 hour ago, Bellosh said:

If it's still in-stock! 

Yeah, lately they've had a tendency of having the sales when the most popular releases are out of stock.

42 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

We've heard of expanded releases waiting on actors' approval before, so it's certainly possible that multiple projects featuring the same actor could be held up and start to accumulate until the actor finally approves them.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh, if you like the OST a lot then the expanded album is a must-have.  It's like a longer, better version of an album you already like.  It doesn't ever drag at all, all the new music enhances the experience and never takes away from pacing or anything, in fact I'd argue the pacing of the complete score is better.  And the new mastering is a serious improvement, it just sounds FANTASTIC now

Great because it's the sound improvement I'm interested in the most. 

Karol

30 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Great because it's the sound improvement I'm interested in the most. 

Karol

That post was about Mission: Impossible, not Far and Away!

1 hour ago, ATXHusker said:

I'm not even sure about that. Are approvals needed by the main actor? I'd say generally no, but in the case of Cruise, that's certainly a possibility, because many of his movies are (co-) produced by his own production company... 

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I'm not even sure about that. Are approvals needed by the main actor? I'd say generally no,

Well, you are using images of them...

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't believe any label has ever used actors involved as a factor to determine which scores to license from the film studios

My point was more that it's conceivable LLL had a backlog of releases awaiting Cruise's approval and they all got cleared at once (and are now being released gradually), not that LLL planned to have a bunch of Cruise releases at the same time. 

8 hours ago, Bellosh said:

I'm from the states, but I do understand the issue with the cost of shipping in other countries, but it seems that if you don't bite the bullet on the shipping when it's first released, then you are going to be paying way more to purchase it from a re-seller (amazon, ebay..) or miss out on it completely.  Pick your poison?

Exactly this!

Either submit to the postage, or pay the big bucks on eBay / Discogs down the line...

37 minutes ago, Romão said:

I think the 90's were probably his best decade

I think generally his best decades were the 80's, 90's, and 00's.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I listened to the final assembly master and shared my thoughts on how it sounded before it went to JW for approval.  I have not seen the booklet yet.

Are you allowed to say how many other unreleased LLL releases you've listened to? :P