Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

They're referring to LLL & Botnick choosing to use MQA encoding for their recent release of Jerry Goldsmith's The Swarm

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I was joking because you wrote 'I would actually sound worse'.

Your humour is too advanced for us!

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

What's that got to do with anything?

That's what Bruce Botnick said!

The booklet mentions Yo-Yo ma played on Angela's Ashes... Is this correct? I thought it was Steve Erdody.

The album sounds fantastic. I can hear way more detail in this. While I never really needed this album for the expansions' sake the sound itself is worth the upgrade. The original album had a nice flow and I'm glad to report the expanded album doesn't ruin that experience at all. It's an enjoyable 82 minutes and a really fun score. It's one of those that have bit of everything - romance, ethnic colour, suspense, romance and action. On album, these kinds of scores really shine and revisiting this on tonight really lifted my mood.

Karol

9 minutes ago, crocodile said:

The booklet mentions Yo-Yo ma played on Angela's Ashes... Is this correct? I thought it was Steve Erdody.

Karol

Dangit proofreaders! tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am absolved, I wasn't asked to proofread this one!

Interesting, may I ask what your involvement for this release was? sheet music info for identifying music? Opinion on what made it into the main program?

On 3/5/2020 at 4:01 PM, Jay said:

I listened to the final assembly master and shared my thoughts on how it sounded before it went to JW for approval.  I have not seen the booklet yet.

It's cool to have one's name in liner notes, no doubt. I've only had that twice myself. One as a 'thank you' in the Elfman/Burton box - alongside many others - and the other in Johan Söderqvist's brilliant KONGEN AV BASTØY (KING OF DEVIL'S ISLAND) soundtrack from Caldera Records, where I hosted the audio interview bonus track with the composer and director.

Oh yeah -- plus a fan-made compilation of Norwegian film music (which I assembled, and for which I wrote the liner notes) with - interestingly - special custom design by Jim Titus, who also designed this new FAR & AWAY. 

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The Reunion (Film Version) name is to differentiate from the OST track? Because there is no other version of the Reunion on the 2cd set.

Perhaps because on the OST it was combined with other material (cue called Day Dreaming on this set) and is now separated as its own cue.

For the OST album JW took the reunion cue and the day dreaming cue and combined them together as an album track called "The Reunion"

For the new release the day dreaming cue is in its own track (d1t19 "Day Dreaming"), and the reunion cue is in its own track (d1t22 "The Reunion (Film Version)").  The "(Film Version)" parenthetical was added to differentiate from the album track, not to imply this cue has multiple different versions (it does not, the album version was already the same as the film version and no alternates were written)

And yes, the reason for the renaming is that in the catalogue, "Reunion" from "Far and Away" is already logged as that OST combination - therefore when releasing the actual film cue "Reunion" on its own, it has to be called something else. Whether it gets a new made-up name, or the producer sticks to the composer's sometimes different original cue title, or calls it the same but with (film version) or (original version) or something is decided on a case-by case basis I think, it just can't have the exact same name. Same situation as with Incident at Isla Nublar (film version), for example.

If JW's original cue title was different Mike would have just used that, but the cue title was also "The Reunion" and I believe Mike didn't want to make something up.

38 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It'd be interesting to listen to the two version of "The Horseshoe"... This cue wasn't on the OST album, right? 

I don’t think so, unless it was combined with something else and I’ve forgotten. It’s a pretty brief cue, just over 30 seconds.

Looks like only one of the two was recorded, though, or I’m sure the other would have been included with the alternates.

1 minute ago, BrotherSound said:

I don’t think so, unless it was combined with something else and I’ve forgotten. It’s a pretty brief cue, just over 30 seconds.

Looks like only one of the two was recorded, though, or I’m sure the other would have been included with the alternates.

Oh, right, the above list is the complete cue list... I thought these were the cues that were recorded and included on this set. 

14 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Oh, right, the above list is the complete cue list... I thought these were the cues that were recorded and included on this set. 

So, The Horseshoe (Version #2) is the one on this expanded edition, and so presumably the only one recorded. Version #1 is quite similar, but uses that minor-key theme from the very opening of the movie.

Had an, ahem, evaluation listen to the main program since the film and OST didn't convince me and I was surprised to find myself mostly digging it as a whole. Maybe not an instabuy but I'll definitely keep it in mind for future orders.

Yeah it's good! I wasn't very familiar with this score, but my CD got here Wednesday and I enjoyed the first listen quite a bit. The main theme is nearly overused, but it's a good one and appears in lots of variations. The soundscape is really nice too, with synth colors that make it unique. And a lot in common with Hook and other Williams scores from the same time period.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Of course. It was -- and is -- perfect.

Perhaps a bit overlong.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The OST was long, but didn't contain everything I wanted.

Of course it didn't, since you by default want everything. ;)

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps a bit overlong.

Not really. It's structured like a conceptual piece. The Irish stuff first, the Americana stuff second (representing the film well) -- just the right amounts of each so as not to wear out their welcome. Beautiful segues between action, dissonance and lyricism throughout, balanced and listener-friendly. And then capping it all off with Enya's wonderful "Book of Days". Just perfect.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps a bit overlong.

Of course it didn't, since you by default want everything. ;)

Not really, to be honest. I can do without tracks like Am I Beautiful.

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I wouldn't really call it an issue, but more of an observation that the first half is better at keeping my attention than the second.

But the second half has "The Land Race"!