Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

5 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

Hopefully the actual concert version Irina's theme and not the edit from film cues on the OST.

Sure it's lame that JW didn't record a "real" concert version for the OST, but it's just a case of knowing too much. If I didn't know how it was put together I'd have no problem with it.. it was one of my favorite tracks when I first got the OST.

21 minutes ago, rough cut said:

The Journey to Akator (0:00-1:15)

Is that the market place source music?

I quite like that.

Otherwise... your list looks like it maaay be slightly in jest. :P

It's great! It sounds great! I'm excited to get it for real. Thing is, Mike does such a great job with the majority of these that there probably isn't that much to be discussed about the expansion itself, especially when it's not as significant an upgrade as it could be with other scores.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Anybody have any comments about the LLL expansion of Far and Away?

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

I'm just curious how this partnership between JW and Ron Howard came to be. 

I don't know who contacted who initially, but Williams has said in interviews that he was attracted to the project because he wanted to write Irish music (wanting to write in certain musical idioms has often been a reason to him, like HOME ALONE or THE PATRIOT). Maybe it's all in the liner notes. Those of you who have it can check.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

The sound quality really is quite remarkable.  It's really pleasant to listen to, if that makes any sense.

I was happy with the sound too. It seems to have a layer of ambient room noise and/or tape hiss, not the distracting type, but the kind that gives it a presence and makes you glad DNR was not applied.

Im curious about the alternates here. Can anyone which si the most standout alternate cue here. I understand the End Credits hasn't much to offer in terms of significant new material but I'm curious about the others. Also is the sound quality noticebly improved ?? (Not that I have issues with original OST album-it still sounds pretty good to me)

7 hours ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Otherwise... your list looks like it maaay be slightly in jest. :P

Haha, no, no, I’m real. 😎

(Okay, so putting the Raiders March in there makes the whole thing look hooky, since neither the composition nor the arrangement is ‘new’, but there you have it - The best of KOTCS 😁)

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Does any European usually order from music box records?

I'm thinking of ordering this from there, along with 4-5 other Williams expansions, to avoid customs.

Yeah, they're trustworthy and pack things well. Chris's Soundtrack Corner (soundtrackcorner.de), too, though things are usually priced just a tad higher there than on MBR and the site looks less professional.

Be aware that MBR has shut down shipping due to covid-19 and will only process orders once things get more normal.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Be aware that MBR has shut down shipping due to covid-19 and will only process orders once things get more normal.

Ah really? Didn't know about that. Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

2-2 The Land Race vs 2-12 The Land Race (Alternate)

I am almost sure this has an alternate section. are you sure they are just different takes?

5 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Ah really? Didn't know about that. Thanks.

Yeah, it's right on the main page, quoted for anyone else affected:

Update March 23, 2020

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to inform you that, during this covid-19 pandemic, we can no longer ship your orders for now. As the delivery services may be uncertain in France and worldwide, we prefer to stop shipping and we'll process them as soon as everything returns to normal. However, online orders can still be placed during this time.

Feel free to contact us by email for more information.

Thank you very much for your understanding. Be safe and stay home!

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I am almost sure this has an alternate section. are you sure they are just different takes?

Yes, 2:10-2:46 is the most noticeable difference, but it's just a different take, not a different composition.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Yes, 2:10-2:46 is the most noticeable difference, but it's just a different take, not a different composition.

I haven't listened yet to the expansion but i remember it was a totally different composition. I'll check the sheet music too. there is an insert there that replaces some bars.

Jay, thanks for your breakdown of all the alternates! Pure gold!! If I could pick one thing to have written in the CD booklet, it would be that. If I could have two things, I'd add the "tech talk" that Mike sometimes does.

image.png

Looks totally like a proper different insert to me.

EDIT: actually listening to it, it does just seem like a pretty different take, balancing and mix of the same material.

Out of interest, Jay, could you comment on the non-JW source music? Was it excluded as per JW's wishes or because it couldn't be located? How much of it can be obtained elsewhere, excluding Shannon's piano recital, of course?

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I haven't listened yet to the expansion but i remember it was a totally different composition. I'll check the sheet music too. there is an insert there that replaces some bars.

Ok, i listened now to the 2 different versions (not from this expansion so i cannot comment on that), and you're right. It's not a different composition but it's not an alternate take either. it's different orchestration!

When we say alternate take, i assume the section is exactly the same, just a different recording.

Sure, there's usually various orchestrational changes from take to take, that's why you go again, well that and performance issues

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no idea about any of that stuff.  You seem to be the only one that has any interest in it :lol:

Yeah, I seem to be one of the only ones who watched this film more than once as well.

I watched the theatrical version once and the extended version once within the last 4 months

53 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Yeah, I seem to be one of the only ones who watched this film more than once as well.

I've seen it 2-3 times over the years. But the last time was probably a decade ago. I see it for the Williams connection; perhaps also Solomon's cinematography. It doesn't have much else going for it.

It's far superior to the theatrical cut!  It aired on ABC in the 90s over two nights, so two 2-hour blocks (with commercials).

If you cut out all the commercials and recaps and repeated credits, etc, it adds about 29 minutes of new footage

Here's an example of how the start of The Land Race was different in the TV cut

And this is not even a great example of why the extended cut is better, most of the other new footage adds great world building and character development.  Oh, and the name of the movie comes from deleted dialogue that reappears in the extended cut.

All the music in the new scenes is entirely tracked in from other cues, btw; Williams scored the theatrical cut.

The extended cut needs to be released on Blu-ray!

Re this expansion, it's going to be a few months before I can get it. Our country is going into lockdown tomorrow for three weeks. My Minority Report and Disaster Box (how ironic) and various other items are stuck somewhere in the UK.

Oh well, it's time for me to catch up on all those Williams releases I have not yet listened to.

7 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Unfortunately, Mike posted bad news about it on FSM:

You'll need to keep at the filmmakers, because all of the edited masters of the TV version were destroyed in the Universal fire. They'll have to go back to the film elements and recreate it, do all the sound mixing over again, etc.

4 hours ago, Jay said:
4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Unfortunately, Mike posted bad news about it on FSM:

You'll need to keep at the filmmakers, because all of the edited masters of the TV version were destroyed in the Universal fire. They'll have to go back to the film elements and recreate it, do all the sound mixing over again, etc.

More info from Mike:

The building that burned in the Universal fire had a great many NTSC video masters in it, so they were not necessarily useful for today’s HD world, but it would have included things like TV edits and bonus feature materials done for Laserdisc and early DVD

Are you asking why something destroyed in a fire in 2008 wasn't added to a blu ray that came out in 2014?

Even if they had the elements, I wonder if they would have been in any kind of shape to be released on Blu-Ray, if they were originally prepared for TV. It might take more budget to redo it for Blu-Ray than the studio was willing to pay.

It probably would have only been able to be released as a standard def bonus feature in the state it was in.  It seems to have been made more like the 1941 extended cut, IE made only for home video/broadcast, rather than the Superman The Movie or Waterworld extended cuts, ei cut on film then prepared for broadcast from that.

I doubt the film's been popular enough since it came out to justify Universal pulling the negatives and rebuilding the extended cut again and doing it all in HD.  Seems like a pipedream.  Luckily an SVHS recording of the broadcast airing survived and was digitized for the fan market.

On 3/25/2020 at 12:14 AM, Marian Schedenig said:

Stuck in customs since Monday.

Tracking now says that customs are holding it because it doesn't include an invoice. Which means I have to email them a scan/screenshot of the invoice, but first I have to wait for a letter from them telling me to do that (I can't send it in advance because I won't know the customs case number until I get the letter).

I just received this message from MusicBox Records:

Dear customer,

Your order has been packed but we cannot ship it for the moment, due to covid-19 pandemic.
As the delivery services are uncertain in France and worldwide, we will ship your order as soon as everything returns to normal.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
Be safe and stay home!

MUSIC BOX RECORDS

I guess I'll need to wait a bit more to get this set, but good to know it has arrived in France anyway.

Well I just got an update on my tracking and it seems my copy has been languishing in the USPS LA international distribution center for nearly two weeks after it was shipped. Understandable in these times though.