Far and Away (1992) - 2020 2-CD expansion from La-la Land Records

Josh500

Just now, bollemanneke said:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! SO GETTING THIS! Why is Oklahoma Territory Film version in the bonus section though?

Perhaps because of John Williams' wishes. Or perhaps they wanted to present his original version in the main programme just like e.g. Freezing Water on the Minority Report set.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! SO GETTING THIS! Why is Oklahoma Territory Film version in the bonus section though?

Because what JW originally wrote is in the score presentation proper? What they ended up using in the film might have been a rewrite or reedit... 

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Awesome! I was just listening to the Land Race this morning on my way to work and thought that this score needs an expansion! :) 

I'm gonna relisten to the OST now! :D

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

But somehow I don't like LLL's cover at first sight. That's a strange font. The original was better... Still, that's just a minor observation. 

Yeah that was my first thought as well when I saw the cover. But no biggie. The music is the thing that counts.

52 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I remember a time when the score of Far and Away was considered to be on the same level as the original Indiana Jones trilogy and Hook! I think nothing has changed... The movie was always overshadowed by Hook, Jurassic Park, and Schindler's List (which came shortly before or after Far and Away), but the score was written when John Williams was absolutely at the pinnacle of his career! A hidden gem, if there ever was one. 

It is such an enjoyable score from start to finish. It has that very Victor Young's The Quiet Man inspiration to it, Irish musical idiom filtered through the symphony orchestra with the Chieftains lending it some authentic Irish instrumental flair.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Irish musical idiom filtered through the symphony orchestra.

Yes. And James Horner would later be inspired by this score (consciously or unconsciously) when he was writing Titanic... 

Just now, Josh500 said:

Yes. And James Horner would later be inspired by this score (consciously or unconsciously) when he was writing Titanic... 

Well at least Enya's Book of Days was one of his inspirations for certain. ;) 

Speaking of which, it has luckily been left off this release. 

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well at least Enya's Book of Days was one of his inspirations for certain. ;) 

Speaking of which, it has luckily been left off this release. 

Well, not just Enya's song. All the Irish tinged cues sound very much like Far and Away, too much so 

... I refuse to believe that's just coincidence. Here's an example:

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, not just Enya's song. All the Irish tinged cues sound very much like Far and Away, too much so 

... I refuse to believe that's just coincidence. Here's an example:

That's because all Irish music sounds the same! :lol:

Cameron reportedly used Far and Away as part of the temp track. The idea that there should be some Irish colours in the music started from him. I think there were some early trailers where you can hear bits and pieces of both Braveheart and Far and Away used.

Great news! One of my favourite scores from Williams in the 90s

Seriously...this comes available to order just three days after I make the order for disaster and minority report to minimise shipping after months unable to get both together because of out stocking...(shipped yesterday). And now all three would be available :(. Life is unfair.

1 minute ago, TownerFan said:

Cameron reportedly used Far and Away as part of the temp track. The idea that there should be some Irish colours in the music started from him. I think there were some early trailers where you can hear bits and pieces of both Braveheart and Far and Away used.

Ah, that explains it. Maybe that's why John Williams was reportedly slightly vexed when Titanic won the Oscar in 1998, instead of Amistad... :D

Fantastic - one of the expansions I've been hoping for. Is there a reason for such a small gap between the announcement and release date?

I was fortunate to hear Keith Lockhart conduct a Far & Away suite some years ago and I was glad he picked it over the usual suspects.

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

And indeed that font looks weird.

Was that ever used on any of the film posters?

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I don't think so. It seems we're seeing it for the first time... 

2 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Ah, that explains it. Maybe that's why John Williams was reportedly slightly vexed when Titanic won the Oscar in 1998, instead of Amistad... :D

That year Williams didn't even attend the ceremony, as he was in Boston recording Saving Private Ryan. I don't think he was vexed or bothered, quite the contrary I'm sure he was happy James Horner won. He respected him a lot.

Just now, TownerFan said:

Yes

MV5BN2FiZTMzOGQtODQ2Ny00ZGFlLThiMDgtMTdh

Is this real? I have never seen this before... I thought the official poster was this. 

images - 2020-03-03T184110.518.jpeg

Just now, TownerFan said:

That year Williams didn't even attend the ceremony, as he was in Boston recording Saving Private Ryan. I don't think he was vexed or bothered, quite the contrary I'm sure he was happy James Horner won. He respected him a lot.

Well, I've read somewhere that he was, anyway. But it doesn't mean it's true, of course. Maybe it's just a baseless rumour. 

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I'm totally excited about this release...

But somehow I don't like LLL's cover at first sight. That's a strange font. The original was better... Still, that's just a minor observation. 

images - 2020-03-03T171030.623.jpeg

I think I prefer LLL cover over the original

10 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Yes

MV5BN2FiZTMzOGQtODQ2Ny00ZGFlLThiMDgtMTdh

Interesting. I had never seen this poster before. I still prefer the OST font better but very interesting to know that this was on the original promotional material so it makes a bit of sense for it to end on the expanded release. Plus I love that particular shot on the LLL cover over the old OST.

Awesome. It's a really good score. It has one of the best end credits suites in Williams' career. :)

Shame the Enya song isn't included but I suppose that would have cost a fortune.

Karol

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Source, please!

I've read it a long time ago, I don't know where anymore. But maybe you can find an article or report. Look for it yourself. 

Again, this doesn't have to be true. I don't know. 

Awful awful awful film. 

Score is alright. Will probably pick this up eventually. 

I definitely prefer Titanic. Williams does Americana best and Horner does the Celtic stuff best. 

Later John Williams returned the compliment by (almost) copying James Horner's Aliens for "Cybertronics" from A.I... At least, that's how I've always felt. 

30 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Later John Williams returned the compliment by (almost) copying James Horner's Aliens for "Cybertronics" from A.I... At least, that's how I've always felt. 

Music which Horner originally borrowed from Gayane's Adagio from Aram Khachaturian's Gayane ballet suite. :P 

42 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

Awful awful awful film. 

Score is alright. Will probably pick this up eventually. 

I definitely prefer Titanic. Williams does Americana best and Horner does the Celtic stuff best. 

Well ol' Johnny writes some ace Americana on the latter half of the score in Far and Away.

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Music which Horner originally borrowed from Gayane's Adagio from Aram Khachaturian's Gayane ballet suite. :P 

This? Didn't know about this... Well, like they say, there's nothing new under the sun. :D

15 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well ol' Johnny writes some ace Americana on the latter half of the score in Far and Away.

It’s no Lincoln. 

ammirite @Disco Stu ?

20 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It’s no Lincoln. 

ammirite @Disco Stu ?

What, doesn't even the lovely deep Americana bmtzzzz pizzazz found in the Land Race entice you at all?

Arguably one of the most exhilarating, powerful, and expressive moments in film music history... Can't wait to hear this in full and remastered... 

I think at 2:25 John Williams was channeling his own Olympic Fanfare. :)

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why is Oklahoma Territory Film version in the bonus section though?

His original version of the cue is far superior and the one he included on the OST. The Film Version replaces the opening minute with must less interesting material. It was wise to put his intended cue in the main program and the less interesting rewrite in the bonus tracks. 

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, isn't it missing at least one Irish source music piece?

I don't believe anything composed by Williams is missing here...