Jump to content
Josh500

Far and Away (2-CD set) is coming from La-La Land Records!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Great news! One of my favourite scores from Williams in the 90s

 

 

Seriously...this comes available to order just three days after I make the order for disaster and minority report to minimise shipping after months unable to get both together because of out stocking...(shipped yesterday). And now all three would be available :(. Life is unfair.

  

The exact same thing happened to me 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jay said:

 

His original version of the cue is far superior and the one he included on the OST. The Film Version replaces the opening minute with must less interesting material. It was wise to put his intended cue in the main program and the less interesting rewrite in the bonus tracks. 

It will be interesting to hear the two versions of the Big Match on this release. The bootleg's film version ran around 6½ minutes while the one in the main programme of this new release is 6 minutes long (I am assuming this is the same version as found on the OST) and the alternate is 5½ minutes long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Arguably one of the most exhilarating, powerful, and expressive moments in film music history... Can't wait to hear this in full and remastered... 

 

I think at 2:25 John Williams was channeling his own Olympic Fanfare. :)

 

 

 

I've always loved the scene. Also this being an "old" film and all, the music is mixed nice and loud so that you can actually hear it even over all the thundering horse feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jay said:

The makers of the bootleg clearly had no idea what they were doing, because they just stuck the entire insert as the track opening, let it ring out, then included the entire original cue.  Here on the LLL you can finally hear the insert properly edited into the rest of the track.

So the bootleg had no double material with an alternate there?

Hmm... There IS something to be said for that, I reckon.

Not as ever intended, but for listening it might work quite nicely...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a lovely news item to awake to. I was definitely hoping for some JW news soon, but not this soon. (Releasing this around St. Patrick’s Day is sort of funny since the film has nothing to do with that part of Irish heritage.)

 

Happy to retire my Far and Away bootleg!

 

(Interesting to see the other 2 releases announced - Days of Thunder by Zimmer with Tom Cruise and NIcole Kidman (so there is a connection to FaA). And The Swarm, which was directed by Irwin Allen (and flopped badly) - another disaster score and connected to La-La’s box set release from November.)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jay said:

 

The OST presented his original intended version of The Big Match.  Later, they decided to try having the music actually begin later in the scene, and also change the tone a bit of how the music started.  So an approx 35 second insert was recorded, meant to replace the first approx 1:20 of the original cue, making the final cue actually shorter than the original version.  However, they decided in the end to not use that insert in the film.

 

The makers of the bootleg clearly had no idea what they were doing, because they just stuck the entire insert as the track opening, let it ring out, then included the entire original cue.  Here on the LLL you can finally hear the insert properly edited into the rest of the track.

Sweet! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. The forum was full of the LLL "x items remaining" messages about it, which they always give unlike Intrada did with Jaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jay said:

 

The OST presented his original intended version of The Big Match.  Later, they decided to try having the music actually begin later in the scene, and also change the tone a bit of how the music started.  So an approx 35 second insert was recorded, meant to replace the first approx 1:20 of the original cue, making the final cue actually shorter than the original version.  However, they decided in the end to not use that insert in the film.

 

The makers of the bootleg clearly had no idea what they were doing, because they just stuck the entire insert as the track opening, let it ring out, then included the entire original cue.  Here on the LLL you can finally hear the insert properly edited into the rest of the track.

 

Similar to what happened to Decca's JAWS track "The Great Shark Chase" - the insert written to replace the beggining of the track was included as the track openning before the entire original cue.

Intrada rectified this with the proper edited film version (which apparent was Williams preferred version, as he used that version of the start of the track in his rerecorded album) and including the original version in the bonus section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I wonder how long it'll take for this to sell out... As always. :D

 

By the way, has the HP boxset finally sold out and is now OOP? 

Nope, HP is still out of stock.

 

Not to be a killjoy, but we're missing at least four source music pieces. I hope MM has included their track titles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Not to be a killjoy, but we're missing at least four source music pieces. I hope MM has included their track titles.

 

What source music? At what points in the movie do they play? 

 

I'm not familiar enough with the movie/score... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

They're scattered all over it, really. Can't do timestamps now, but most of them play in America.

 

I don't need the exact timestamps, but when do they play, mostly? 

 

In that bar/fight club? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I have never cared that much about source music. Sure, it'd be great to have really, literally everything just for completeness' sake, but I've never gone crazy over some obscure source music...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bravo! Not a film or score that has been on my radar (cultural and personal experiences and ultimately, interests and tastes informed by same) but going to look into it now that it has the MM/LLL stamp of approval. And obviously it's a major item with the fan base. Will definitely check out Maurizio's episode about it, he always makes everything sound fantastic! Are there sound samples?

May be enticed to order it alongside Goldsmith's The Swarm LLL release, which should be lots of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Josh500 said:

To be honest, I have never cared that much about source music. Sure, it'd be great to have really, literally everything just for completeness' sake, but I've never gone crazy over some obscure source music...

 

 

 

Depends on the movie for me I guess and how much I like it or not.

 

For instance I hope we get everything from the Indy scores.

 

I think the source music in The Last Crusade actually makes for a better listening experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, danbeck said:

 

Similar to what happened to Decca's JAWS track "The Great Shark Chase" - the insert written to replace the beggining of the track was included as the track openning before the entire original cue.

Intrada rectified this with the proper edited film version (which apparent was Williams preferred version, as he used that version of the start of the track in his rerecorded album) and including the original version in the bonus section.

 

Exactly right, good call!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Incanus said:

Awesome! I was just listening to the Land Race this morning on my way to work and thought that this score needs an expansion! :) 

 

Double awesome! I was just listening to the extended Land Race on the *cough* boot *cough* leg a few days ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just occurred to me... 

 

Only last year we got Minority Report, this year we're getting Far and Away. Next year War of the Worlds and/or Born on the Fourth of July

 

This Tom Cruise/John Williams streak gotta continue! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unexpected! This used to be one of my favorite Williams scores back in the day, but I never felt that anything essential was missing from the OST... looking forward to the samples! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

It just occurred to me... 

 

Only last year we got Minority Report, this year we're getting Far and Away. Next year War of the Worlds and/or Born on the Fourth of July

 

This Tom Cruise/John Williams streak gotta continue! :D

2005 re use fees ;(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...