Expanded: Born on the Fourth of July or War of the Worlds?

Josh500

Expanded: War of the Worlds or Born on the Fourth of July?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you desire more? Expanded BotFoJ or expanded WotW?

• Born on the Fourth of July (1989) from John Williams
    • War of the Worlds (2005) from John Williams

If the next expanded JW was one of these 2, which would you desire more? I gotta say WotW, although I may love BotFoJ more. The former seems to have a lot more previously unreleased stuff... 

images - 2020-03-05T110651.751.jpeg

images - 2020-03-05T110723.304.jpeg

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Voted for BotFoJ because it’s a better score.

Completely different scores. Can you really say which is objectively or subjectively better? All you can ask is which do you personally prefer? 

I chose BOTFOJ simply because I'm unfamiliar with the unreleased music of WOTW, however I would welcome both as they are excellent scores (and terrific films to boot).

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

This is actually a tough one for me, but I'd go War of the Worlds.

I want a reason to really like that score, and I feel like a complete and expanded treatment would do it for me.

Yeah, exactly, same here. I actually already love WotW, but I feel like there's so much "hidden" stuff that would make me see the score in a completely different and new light. Kinda like when the Expanded The Lost World came out--that was a revelation for sure. For me, anyway! 

And I don't feel the same way about BotFoJ! 

Born On The Fourth Of July, because I think it is one of the greatest scores John Williams has ever written. 

I prefer Born on the Fourth of July, I think is a better score and also because the only expanded edition that I listened don't sound very well, whereas for War of the Worlds is ok. In any case I'll be happy buying any of those expanded editions-

46 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The fact that Prologue and Epilogue are poisoned by Morgan Freemans narration

I'm sure MM would give us both versions of each.

49 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The fact that of being John Williams' shortest OST

The score on the BotFoJ OST album is what? Like 20-30 minutes? And yet, strangely, all the highlights seem to be there. 

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I'm sure MM would give us both versions of each.

The one with the narration we already got. Besides, if we wanted to listen to the narration, we'd simply watch the movie! 

I'm in the BotFoJ camp, so consider this a shameless attempt to tip the scales a bit.  I recorded this when I attended the Tom Hooten/Trumpet Concerto sessions in 2018.  This was Williams' first run-through with the orchestra while Hooten rested after closing the book on the Concerto.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7lecibk425ocvu/IMG_1355.mp4?dl=0

That beginning of Born on the Fourth of July (the childhood scenes: parade, baseball home run, fireworks, first kiss, etc.) has to be some of the best John Williams scored moments ever...

It's so good everything else that comes after in the movie feels like a letdown. 

2 hours ago, hornist said:

BotFJ kinda started his (weird) 90's style so I voted for the other. 

Weird? 

Wth. Elaborate please!