THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

4 hours ago, KK said:

Pascal sounds great. Ramsey, have no clue. But I trust she got cast for a reason.

My thoughts too. I’m a little worried about Lyanna Mormont though. I haven’t seen her in anything but Game of Thrones. 

But the story is so good...

On 6/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, AC1 said:

But ... it's based on a game. No game has ever translated into a great movie or TV show.

I've never played the games, but I absolutely love the RESIDENT EVIL film series. Both individual films and the series and mythology as a whole.

From the look of the people involved in this, though, and the existing story/premise, THE LAST OF US might very well be the best one ever. Time will show.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

From the look of the people involved in this, though, and the existing story/premise, THE LAST OF US might very well be the best one ever. Time will show.

I don’t think any of these cinematic video games have really been adapted before. They’re almost movies to begin with so I think they have a much better shot at adaptation than Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia or whatever 

3 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I don’t think any of these cinematic video games have really been adapted before. They’re almost movies to begin with so I think they have a much better shot at adaptation than Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia or whatever 

Well, yes and no. Point-and-click adventure games (with lots of cut-scenes, whether animated or live action) leave less room for free interpretation. For fans, the original way of shooting the "film sequences" in the game might feel more unchangeable than taking a free form landscape and shape it into a new film narrative. Case-in-point WING COMMANDER, in which the film adaptation was much worse than the actual film footage of III and IV, despite better visual effects.

All that being said, I still dream of a proper live action adaptation of THE DIG, preferably by Spielberg himself.

13 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

I don’t think any of these cinematic video games have really been adapted before.

Silent Hill (the movie) looked great (sets, villains) but was severely let down by everything else, as if there was no director present, like a ship without a captain.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

All that being said, I still dream of a proper live action adaptation of THE DIG, preferably by Spielberg himself.

I loved that game!  We all did!

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, Jay said:

I think that was to be expected but at the same time I don’t think we’re going to see any massive changes to important story beats. I just wonder whether some of the ancillary material such as American Dreams and Left Behind will be included. Same with the flashbacks in Part II that take place within the story of the first game. I guess they could work as a cold open for season 2. How many seasons this runs for could be interesting. With current material I see potential for 3 seasons. But I think a Part III game would be a long way out. 

I can’t wait for more casting news and the prosthetic Clicker sounds interesting. I imagine they’ll be enhanced with cgi though. 

The actress playing Ellie is too young to play Last of Us 2 era Ellie so they probably won't adapt that game's events until a few seasons down the road

Apparently she’s 17, I thought she was younger. 

but yeah, there’s potential to fill out the time between the two games. There’s some material from the gap in flashbacks in game two so they’ll probably spread that out. Some good stuff in those flashbacks.

One in particular is a franchise highlight! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It looks like we’re going to get to see Bill and Frank’s backstory which is only alluded to in the game. So that’s interesting!

7 hours ago, His Royal Noelness said:

It looks like we’re going to get to see Bill and Frank’s backstory which is only alluded to in the game. So that’s interesting!

Oh, no, backstories are boring. Imagine if Jaws was interupted with the backstories of Quint, Brody and Hooper! It's so completely unnecessary but I guess this is how many TV shows get enough material to fill 8 or whatever episodes.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Oh, no, backstories are boring. Imagine if Jaws was interupped with the backstories of Quint, Brody and Hooper! It's so completely unnecessary but I guess this is how many TV shows get enough material to fill 8 or whatever episodes.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

I know, Koray, your favorite show thrives on backstory (for every bleeding character), but I thought that was its weakest aspect.

We don’t even know the structure of the show yet. And since we all know you don’t play video games, I know you don’t really know what you’re talking about in reference to these two characters (Yeah yeah you watched your son play it).

I know that I don't like TV shows or movies with lots of backstory and flashbacks to so-called 'flesh out' the characters. I think that the most uninteresting way to do it. It's better to learn about the characters through their actions in the main story. 

On 7/17/2021 at 3:37 AM, AC1 said:

Oh, no, backstories are boring. Imagine if Jaws was interupted with the backstories of Quint, Brody and Hooper! It's so completely unnecessary but I guess this is how many TV shows get enough material to fill 8 or whatever episodes.

theres literally a long (great) dialogue scene revealing quint’s backstory 

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

theres literally a long (great) dialogue scene revealing quint’s backstory 

While luckily only a verbal backstory, over the years, it became the weakest moment in the film for me.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:01 AM, AC1 said:

I know that I don't like TV shows or movies with lots of backstory and flashbacks to so-called 'flesh out' the characters. I think that the most uninteresting way to do it. It's better to learn about the characters through their actions in the main story. 

Great, but you have no idea if that’s the storytelling method this show is going to use. 

YES! I am here for Anna Torv, she is a very underrated actor.

They're really throwing a lot of money at this thing. I'm looking forward to it but I really hope it doesn't just fall into a pit of despair and grittiness. I know that's how the games are, but there's a big difference between watching grim shit happen and being "in control" of it. There's a salient philosophical meta-idea in the games, particularly heightened in the second one, about the cycle of violence, narrative perspectives, deconstruction of hero/villain tropes etc, but it's unlikely to translate to the purely passive world of TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems odd they'd build that as a set, when they could just find a real location and dress it?

I assume this is the quarantine zone from the start of the game.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...