THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

I think it’s on purpose but I doubt the show itself will look too much like that.

Even the composition of the shot, over the shoulder like that, is to invoke a video game feel. 

On 23/07/2021 at 4:25 AM, Jay said:

Sweet, Anna Torv is a really good actress

You should check out the new ABC series The Newsreader, she's excellent in that (if well-produced Australian dramas are your thing!)

And by ABC I'm referring to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, not the American network.

Just now, mstrox said:

I hope they do the whole series in a third person shooter POV.

As the spiritual sequel to Hardcore Henry?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Louise, I'm getting old!

The only person in that lineup whom I even remotely recognise, is Graham Greene.

You didn't watch Game of Thrones Season 4 or The Mandalorian?

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

He has to walk to a neighbor's house to watch Netflix.  I don't think he has HBO or Disney+

Lol, I didn't know that.

This reminds me of my grandma talking about her childhood, when all of the neighborhood gathered around in the house of the only neighbor who possessed a radio to listen to the news.

Of course, we aren't in the 1940s anymore, which makes his case a little silly.

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Geez, Louise, I'm getting old!

The only person in that lineup whom I even remotely recognise, is Graham Greene.

That's a good thing, I don't want a parade of famous faces. 

Pedro Pascal, the second guy pictured, played Oberyn "The Red Viper" Martell in Season 4 of Game of Thrones - the guy who ends up fighting The Mountain and getting his eyes punctured

Multiple reasons

-The video games tell a good story, with great, well developed, nuanced characters

-The actors they have chosen are all good

-The head writer is Craig Mazin, the writer of Chernobyl

-Very large budget, general HBO prestige air to it

Huh, wasn’t even aware of the comic book.  Will have to track it down on ComiXology.

I hope they don’t adapt the effing suburban sneak attack crawl to the sniper from the middle of the game.  I was stuck on that level for like two days.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Multiple reasons

-The video games tell a good story, with great, well developed, nuanced characters

-The actors they have chosen are all good

-The head writer is Craig Mazin, the writer of Chernobyl

-Very large budget, general HBO prestige air to it

I think the biggest thing going for this project is that Druckmann is involved in a writing and directing capacity.

The first successful video game adaptation is upon us. I’m still skeptical though. 

15 hours ago, mstrox said:

Huh, wasn’t even aware of the comic book.  Will have to track it down on ComiXology.

I hope they don’t adapt the effing suburban sneak attack crawl to the sniper from the middle of the game.  I was stuck on that level for like two days.

I think it came our around the same time as the original game or maybe even before it. It’s by Dark Horse. 

The events are briefly alluded to in Left Behind. Basically the story of Ellie meeting Reilly. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interview with Pedro Pascal

"I am the biggest fan of The Last of Us.

Did you play the game? It’s so sad, I haven’t any skill. I tried, you know. And then it was only a matter of minutes before I had to hand it over to my nephew. It really takes a specific kind of skill, and I don’t have it.

Did you watch him play through the whole thing?

I watched for as long as I was able to that day, and then I had to leave Florida. I found Joel so impressive — I found the whole of it such a visually impressive experience. And then I got worried that I would want to imitate too much, which I think could be right in some circumstances, and then a mistake in others. So I just wanted to create a healthy distance, and for that to be more in the hands of [show co-writer] Craig Mazin and [game writer and show co-writer] Neil Druckmann.

The depth of storytelling, especially for a video game in 2013, is so phenomenal. I don’t want to spoil anything, but how close do you think the script sticks to the game?

There’s a very, very creative way of honouring what’s important and also preserving what is iconic to the experience of the video game, and also [to include] things that you wouldn’t necessarily expect. And then directions that you would expect it to go, and it might not… they’re doing some really smart things, is all I can say. It’s similar to the way Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni treat The Mandalorian, in how [Mazin and Druckmann] are treating The Last of Us — it’s in good hands because they love it so much. Well, clearly Neil created the video game, but Craig loves it so much. So it really is made for the people that love it. And there's some very intense storytelling for people who might be less familiar."

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/pedro-pascal-interview-2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...