THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

Yeah, so far I think there only have been variations of two of the main themes of the games, plus some ambient and synth cues. And that music from the end of episode 2 is Allowed To Be Happy from the second game:

On 22/01/2023 at 11:37 PM, Edmilson said:

How many episodes is season 1 going to have?

On 09/01/2023 at 3:18 PM, Jay said:

The whole season is 9 episodes, finishes up on March 12

(It was written and shot as 10 episodes, but turned into 9 in the editing booth)

On 22/01/2023 at 11:37 PM, Edmilson said:

I think I'm going to wait for them all to be released so that I may binge them. 

Oh man, that's a bad idea. You'll have so much more fun watching it week to week, and joining the discussion with us in between each episode! 

On 23/01/2023 at 3:32 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I've decided to not look at the 'next time' videos anymore, because I want to know as little as possible.

On 23/01/2023 at 10:10 AM, Toillion said:

I wish I didn't watch the preview for the next episode. I played the game but I feel like they are showing way too much in the previews. 

The previews give away too much, and the best way to enjoy this show is to not watch them.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is good advice.  The preview give away too much and the best way to enjoy this show is to not watch them.

I tend to think this is true for most quality shows. For GOT, Westworld  and HOTD I never watch previews or trailers either. I sadly saw some of the last of us trailer on YouTube as an ad but it didn’t show that much.

On 23/01/2023 at 4:57 AM, crumbs said:

Shout out to whoever raised the flour theory, looks like they were spot on.

That was me (here), via this podcast episode originally.

On 23/01/2023 at 10:07 AM, Koray Savas said:

WARNING: There are slight game spoilers and what I think is a major spoiler for the show, even to those who have played the game.

Are you referring to the fact that in the interview, they state that

Spoiler

we'll see Ellie's mom, and that she's played by Ashley Johnson? 

If so, that's old news.

If you're referring to something else, what is it?

18 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I don't really feel the need to explain what's thematically important about the scene again when I clearly laid out my thoughts on it in my original post.

And here are the thoughts of the people who made it… personally I liked the change (and found it really disturbing):

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Are you referring to the fact that in the interview, they state that

Reveal hidden contents

If so, that's old news.

If you're referring to something else, what is it?

I didn’t realize it was old news, as I hadn’t seen it discussed anywhere.

Still seems like a huge spoiler to me to reveal that character will be portrayed in the show. Though I guess it’s not dissimilar to knowing Frank is in here as well. 

9 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

Yeah, so far I think there only have been variations of two of the main themes of the games, plus some ambient and synth cues. And that music from the end of episode 2 is Allowed To Be Happy from the second game:

Interesting that they’re using tracks from Part II for season 1.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not like any of the music in the games is really all THAT scene or character specific.

True. Still though the soundtrack for Part II is much different than Part I so it’s cool to see these tracks put into the show.

BTW, have actuals recordings from the games been used in the show, or just new recordings of game compositions?

53 minutes ago, Jay said:

BTW, have actuals recordings from the games been used in the show, or just new recordings of game compositions?

I’m pretty positive “The Last of Us (You and Me)” from the first game has been used several times and it doesn’t sound any different than it did in-game. It plays right after Joel gets his sewage job in episode 1 and then when the trio are on the roof of the museum in episode 2. Also I think “Allowed to be Happy” was pulled straight from the game as well. The opening title sequence is a re-recording of the main theme though and also I forgot to point this out but Gustavo wrote a new versions of the “All Gone” theme for when Sarah dies in the show and when Ellie first sees Boston in the daytime.

(!SPOILERS FOR BOTH VIDEO GAMES!)

Spoiler

I have a feeling that when Joel sees Abby’s dad (AKA the surgeon with the knife) blocking him from Ellie that he will imagine the dad as the soldier who killed Sarah, just like what happened with the Fedra soldier. Then Joel will go crazy on the surgeon. If this is the case that’s awesome foreshadowing with the Fedra soldier and also makes the scene so much more powerful because of it’s implications.

I know people dislike “The Last of Us Part II” but I think it has one of the greatest stories ever told in video games. It rivals the first game. People just don’t like depressing stories that have a sad ending. The problem with the game was that it was a game. The story was spectacular but it was hard to play as Abby after she pummeled Joel, shot Jessie’s face off, and has a gun to Ellie and Tommy immediately before playing as her. That story told in a different medium like a TV show could work so much better and be easier to digest (Also because the average TV viewer won’t get as attached to Joel as the gamer did simply because the gamer played as Joel the entire time).

They might even introduce Abby in the last episode and show her dad talking to Marlene so season 2 is set up better.

Spoiler

I'd prefer if season 1 makes no reference to Abby or her father at all and that's entirely saved for a future season

And along those lines it makes no sense to me that they might adapt game 2 as season 2, because it only works if both Abby and Ellie are 5 years older than they are at the end of season 1.  Not to mention all the other world changes that happen 5 years further into the outbreak.  I think it could work if season 2 is a bridging season that covers some of the stuff seen in game 2 as flashbacks, mixed with new original content for the show, and then season 3 is the main game 2 storyline.

And yes game 2 is is amazing in every way

Nice! After the success of the first couple of episodes I thought a second season was a given, but it's great to see it officially confirmed specially after all the unexpected cancelations last year.

On 27/01/2023 at 1:49 PM, Toillion said:

Think they will split the second game into two seasons?

I shared my thoughts on this question up above in a spoiler tag. Though there's no plot spoilers or anything, so it's safe to read if you haven't played it

On 25/01/2023 at 11:27 AM, Jay said:
  Hide contents

It makes no sense to me that they might adapt game 2 as season 2, because it only works if both Abby and Ellie are 5 years older than they are at the end of season 1.  Not to mention all the other world changes that happen 5 years further into the outbreak.  I think it could work if season 2 is a bridging season that covers some of the stuff seen in game 2 as flashbacks, mixed with new original content for the show, and then season 3 is the main game 2 storyline.

I don't think they're going to hold off on adapting the second game as the second season. This is from the Hollywood Reporter cover story on season one.

Spoiler

As for this show’s ending, expect the debut season to cover the entirety of the Last of Us game. Druckmann and Mazin hint — but don’t outright say — that their second season will cover the table-flipping narrative of Naughty Dog’s bold Part II sequel (“I don’t like filler,” Mazin says).

Likewise, Druckmann cannot reveal whether a rumored Part III game from Naughty Dog is coming, but says: “I think there’s more story to tell.” Either way, Druckmann isn’t worried about falling into the same trap faced by Game of Thrones, when the HBO drama famously surpassed author George R.R. Martin’s source material. “We have no plans to tell any stories beyond adapting the games,” he says. “We won’t run into the same issue as Game of Thrones since Part II doesn’t end on a cliffhanger.”

EDIT: Also, leakers have been claiming lately that a third Last of Us game is in development despite recent comments from Neil Druckmann that he doesn't know what Naughty Dog will do next. I suspect that we'll be getting The Last of Us 3 within the next few years. I also think the second game will probably translate into two seasons, so it might time out nicely where a third game comes out around the same time they've finished adapting the second game for TV.

Very sad news. Annie Wersching, the original actress who portrayed Tess in the video game, has passed away at 45 years old. She had cancer :(

I've been a fan ever since her multi-season appearance in 24.

Wersching died on Sunday morning in Los Angeles following a battle with cancer, her publicist told the Associated Press. The type of cancer was not specified.

Neil Druckmann, who created the video game The Last of Us on which Wersching provided the voice for Tess, wrote on Twitter: “We just lost a beautiful artist and human being. My heart is shattered. Thoughts are with her loved ones.”

Annie_Wersching_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

It would've been wonderful to see her reprise the role of Tess in the TV show, but I guess this explains why the role was recast with Anna Torv (she was likely too ill when production started).

Wow that was a drastic departure from the game! 

I'm glad they said in the after thingy that it's the biggest departure 

Whaaaaaattttt. Didn’t expect this to have one of the best love stories I’ve seen on TV in a while. Was a little caught off guard but was still enthralled with the whole thing. Best episode of the series so far and honestly as a stand-alone short film it’s one of the best I’ve seen as well. The music from Part II being used in the strawberry scene genuinely gave me chills. Bummed we didn’t get to see Ellie mess with Bill because I think he would’ve nailed that but still, god damn. I was brought to tears.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Also reassuring to know that season two can spend more time exploring stories like this before diving into the main plot of TLOU2, which mostly abandons the humanity of the first game.

Yeah, Part II is tonally the polar opposite of Part I. Druckmann said it best; if Part I is about love then Part II is about hate.

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

Likewise, that episode absolutely wrecked me. Probably the most affecting episode of television I've watched in a long, long time. Screamed "Emmy submission episode" in flashing neon lights.

I'm more than happy for them to depart from the game if it means storytelling on this level. This has always been the greatest strength of the first game; it's not about the infected, it's about humanity. TV provides an opportunity to explore that with characters who were mere footnotes in the game. What they explored with Bill was frankly (no pun intended) a far more interesting character study than what the game did. Not surprised to see people whining (not here but elsewhere) about the lack of action and zombies; obviously some people missed the entire point of the game.

Also reassuring to know that season two can spend more time exploring stories like this before diving into the main plot of TLOU2, which mostly abandons the humanity of the first game.

I thought it was more moving than anything in either game.  Even the more optimistic parts of the games have this cynical undercurrent where anyone who does something nice is secretly serving themselves or will end up paying for it later.  Showing two people fall in love and living full lives it is really uplifting to see in the TLOU universe.  

One possible criticism I have is that 

Spoiler

Bill was originally supposed to be a foil for Joel in the story.  A warning of what he could end up being should he stay emotionally closed off.  This is a different interpretation but the old one might end up being better in the span of the overall story.  

It was a good Romeo & Juliet-type episode -- with Ron Swanson taking a left turn from prepper (which one would expect) to gay lover. Yeah, I know, Offerman is more than Ron Swanson, but he's so indelibly tied to that role for me. :) It obviously halts forward momentum, and I'm not a fan of all the flashbacks that are so prevalent these days, but in the beginning of a series, it's also a world builder. Worked well, and totally engrossing.

7 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Wow, since my post it’s dropped even further to a 7.9 now, compared to 9.2 for the first two episodes.

And Ms. Marvel, one of the best Disney+ MCU shows, is sitting at a 6.2.

Really sad how much bigotry exists, isn’t it?

Yavar

Never trust ANY user rating system.  

I've never trusted IMDB's or any other site's user-generated ratings systems. Too easily manipulated with targeted attacks from miserable basement-dwellers, not to mention culturally homogenous - like many online spaces it skews heavily male, white and American. The sample pool for IMDB reviewers has never traditionally been a cross-section of mainstream society, so it's hardly an accurate indicator of what people actually like in the real world.

2 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I've never trusted IMDB's or any other site's user-generated ratings systems. Too easily manipulated with targeted attacks from miserable basement-dwellers, not to mention culturally homogenous - like many online spaces it skews heavily male, white and American. The sample pool for IMDB reviewers has never traditionally been a cross-section of mainstream society, so it's hardly an accurate indicator of what people actually like in the real world.

While they may not be a great indicator of the actual quality of a work, I do think that user review systems give people an important voice against the powers at be when they make shitty decisions.

Steam's user review system is notorious for this, but it happens all the time:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Review_bomb

In a world where the average person doesn't have much influence over the direction of corporate decisions, I think that user reviews can be an important form of protest, similar in value to what the YouTube dislike button used to have