THE LAST OF US (HBO TV) - spoilers allowed for aired episodes (game spoilers masked)

Edmilson

56 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

While they may not be a great indicator of the actual quality of a work, I do think that user review systems give people an important voice against the powers at be when they make shitty decisions.

Steam's user review system is notorious for this, but it happens all the time:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Review_bomb

In a world where the average person doesn't have much influence over the direction of corporate decisions, I think that user reviews can be an important form of protest, similar in value to what the YouTube dislike button used to have

I wouldn't put Steam reviews in the same category as IMDB or RT because Valve have an explicit financial interest in the games that are being reviewed. I agree that it's an inherently unfair system which should be pushed back on, and it's only in the past few years that other online gaming shopfronts have become even remotely competitive. It's a similar situation to Amazon reviews; I don't trust them at all, even with all the attempts at transparency and user verification. Billion-dollar mega-corporations are not trustworthy platforms for reviews.

The equivalent would be if RT or IMDB were the only places to view the movies or shows that are being rated, which is not the case. The biases that I'm concerned with are informed by the user base rather than any shady business practices. In terms of the critic reviews Rotten Tomatoes literally just aggregates existing data, and all those conspiracies about the site shilling for Disney because The Last Jedi has a 90% rating are completely bogus. But that didn't stop an actual conspiracy to review-bomb the film from occuring.

One could argue there should be more transparency to whom Rotten Tomatoes considers to be a "critic", particularly in the changing media landscape, but as far as I'm aware there haven't been any major controversies surrounding this.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I thought RT had done stuff to mitigate the ability to “review bomb” something

They may have, but the idiots who pull these campaigns always have a way around those kinds of protections. At any rate we're talking about IMDB which clearly has no such interventions.

So "THIS IS" the new hot TV series?

I watched the first Episode, and 10 minutes of the Episode 2... then I stopped it.

I think Pedro Pascal is a much better actor when he wears a mask!

I'm not sure about the young actress who plays the 14 yo girl too...

So I discover this is a series adapted from a videogame... ah... I should have guessed that!

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

You really need to continue and at least see episode 3, Bespin.  Trust me.

It's the only reason I started watched this series, because it supposedly have a gay love story that will make me cry.

I'm happy it will help to change the mentality of some straight guys, it will not change mine!

YAWN.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

So "THIS IS" the new hot TV series?

I watched the first Episode, and 10 minutes of the Episode 2... then I stopped it.

I think Pedro Pascal is a much better actor when he wears a mask!

I'm not sure about the young actress who plays the 14 yo girl too...

So I discover this is a series adapted from a videogame... ah... I should have guessed that!

Sad opinion and terrible take buddy.

16 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's the only reason I started watched this series, because it supposedly have a gay love story that will make me cry.

I'm happy it will help to change the mentality of some straight guys, it will not change mine!

YAWN.

How can you know without actually watching it? It’s a masterpiece with incredible acting performances, and since you strangely dislike Pedro and Bella in this, I guess you should know that they are only briefly in the beginning and end of the episode, not the focus of it at all.

Yavar

Funny story.  So I watched the first two episodes without my wife; She was away on a business trip anyway, but also she hates zombie things and doesn't really like scary things and had indicated this probably wasn't going to be for her.

So cut to last Sunday and she goes up to brush her teeth and get ready for bed and I start watching episode 3.  She comes down maybe 10 minutes into it and kind watches for a bit, ends up sitting down and watching the whole rest of the episode with me.  She loved it.

So this we watched episodes 1 and 2 (and the first 10 minutes of episode 3... and we actually re-watched the whole Joel/Ellie ending too) together and now she's in for the rest of the season with me (which basically means I won't be seeing them until Monday evenings instead of Sunday evenings but oh well)

So re-watching these episodes: Man, they hold up!  I was just as into them the second time around, maybe more.  Plus I got to enjoy some background details I completely missed the first time.  Like the FEDRA chart that shows how long you have before turning based on where you got bit, and how Tess's bite was far enough away from her head to be plausible she made it to the statehouse.  And I saw the clicker on the roof in the lightning at the end of the first episode.  Oh, and when they see all the infected hanging out on the streets of Boston, I noticed that they begin moving in unison when the sun shines on them, which I hadn't picked up on the first time through.  I thought that was interesting.

But one strange thing is the number of similar gunshot wounds the show has done.  Sarah, then Marlene, then Bill all get shot in the love handle.  Why use the same spot over and over again?

Some other things I forgot to mention:

I love the bit in episode 2 when they are in the hotel lobby, and there's a frog on top of the piano making some notes ring out.  That was so well done

I also loved in episode 2 when they finally busted out their shoulder-mounted flashlights like you have in the game!  And they Ellie used it in episode 3 as well

It was so cool to see Tess again in episode 3 after dying in Episode 2.  Especially because we only saw her in the first 2 episodes recently traumatized and with a huge black eye, it was nice to see her in more normal times.  It was kind of surprinting, though, to learn that her and Joel were a couple for over a decade, didn't see that coming.  It seems like the kind of relationship that would only work for a few years, tops!

I'm very curious about the new bit in the show that wasn't in the games, that Marlene apparently knew Ellie before recent times, and had in fact brought her into the orphanage?  I wonder why they are expanding this lore; It makes me worry they are going to introduce that she was worked on by scientists to be immune or something, which would be an awful change.  Hopefully it's something else that I can't think of yet that they're setting up. Nevermind, I forgot about game stuff

I'm on board with tendrils being the non-biting way to get infected other that spores, but in order to explain the flour being the source of the infection spreading wordwide, that mean this fungus does still make spores and those will infect you, there just isn't going to spots where they turn the air into a cloudy fog like in the games, I guess.  But what I'm not sure I'm fully on board with yet, is the whole "tendril network" thing, where a dying infected dude's tendrils just touched some fungus on the ground briefly and instantly tons of infected stood up to come after them.  It was all cool in the moment, but I wonder how plausible this will work as the show goes on. Maybe they just won't come into many places where the fungus is all over the ground like that?  I did like how outside of the museum, the fungus had completely dried up and was dead, and basically not connected to the rest of the fungus around.  Makes you wonder if humanity is thriving in some hot, dry climates?  The game never really gets into anything outside of what Joel, Ellie, and Abby experience so I'm curious what world-building they have in mind.  The episode 1 and 2 cold opens have already been really cool in that regard.

On 31/01/2023 at 8:34 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

I agree with everything positive said about episode 3, the best of three (great!) episodes so far IMO. My wife was crying like I’ve never seen her cry when watching something.

On 04/02/2023 at 1:58 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

It’s a masterpiece with incredible acting performances, and since you strangely dislike Pedro and Bella in this, I guess you should know that they are only briefly in the beginning and end of the episode, not the focus of it at all.

17 hours ago, Jay said:

Anybody else wish Yavar would share his own thoughts on the show instead of constantly telling us what random losers are doing on some other website? 

Anyone else think it’s pretty weird for Jay to call me out like this?

Jay, if nobody here cared about that “other website” (the frickin’ Internet Movie Database) and didn’t appreciate my comments about it, how come I got *14* positive reactions from my first two posts mentioning it? To me that indicated some interest here about the review bombing, so it’s not at all unreasonable that I would bring up it happening for an episode that hasn’t even aired yet.

That said, despite your oddly directed criticism of me, I applaud and appreciate you for your much more detailed posts/reviews about each episode of this fine series so far (I’ve “liked” every one!) and I look forward to more. I’ll try to write more on the subject myself going forward.

Yavar

I give this exchange a 4 stars out of 10.

PS: I watched the famous third episode. A gay survivalist... okay... we're in an imaginary world where mushrooms turn humans into zombies after all... :D

Why can’t a survivalist be gay, by nature? Shunned by society and shunning it in return.. makes perfect sense to me, whether or not fungi are turning people into zombies. (He was a gay survivalist before that event.)

So…where exactly is the inconsistency, to you?

Yavar

On 4/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, Jay said:

I'm very curious about the new bit in the show that wasn't in the games, that Marlene apparently knew Ellie before recent times, and had in fact brought her into the orphanage?  I wonder why they are expanding this lore; It makes me worry they are going to introduce that she was worked on by scientists to be immune or something, which would be an awful change.  Hopefully it's something else that I can't think of yet that they're setting up.

Spoiler

In the game, Marlene has known Ellie since she was born. She was friends with her mother, who made Marlene swear to protect Ellie before she died during labor. It’s why Marlene is so protective of Ellie and heartbroken when she has to make the decision to kill her for the cure.

I'll start talking about Episode 5 after this banter.

I thought it was great. Very different from episode 3, but I felt it was a good thing.

To built the relationship between Joel & Ellie in this way was great! The jokes, the magazine, the coffee! Soo funny.

And the moment when they got attacked was well done. And then when Ellie saved Joel and she shot that guy in the back, paralyzing him. I thought that was worse then if she shot him and he was dead. Because now she had to watch him beg for his life, that seems worse.

But then Joel not actually comforting her for what she's done makes me wonder what this will do with Ellie in the long run. Ellie has seen Joel use violence as a tool on a few different accounts now and I think that Ellie might see it as a right way to live. I think that it's an interesting way to go.

And the sinkhole in the building was great! That is something that has so go wrong in future episodes. How many infected are gonna get out of there.

I'm not really sure what to think of Kathleen & Henry. Because we haven't had that much time with them. So I'll say more on that in the weeks to come. But I did really enjoy Melanie Lynsky.

And a heads up for everyone. Episode will be available on Friday the 10th at 9mp EST on HBOMax. It will still air on sunday on HBO, but because of the Super Bowl they decided to make it available earlier.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-last-of-us-episode-5-will-drop-on-friday-instead-of-super-bowl-sunday

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks, I somehow managed to completely forgot about that!

I feel dumb I forgot, but I do remember now!

We've been spoiled with these long episodes so last nights episode almost felt like a disappointment.  I really enjoyed the episode but couldn't they have added 30 more minutes of filler reading off puns?

I haven't seen episode 4 yet, but I have some more thoughts about episode 3

As much as I liked the episode, it quietly ignores some things that I thought might have been cool to explain.

For example, if you really think about it, I'm not sure how plausible it is that Bill's town would be completely left alone by FEDRA and only attacked by Raiders once in the first 20 years of the outbreak.  At one point in the episode Joel tells Bill FEDRA won't be coming out there, but why does he say that?  Why wouldn't FEDRA have teams that go scouting for supplies for their QZs and come across this town?  It wasn't portrayed as being terribly far away - it was portrayed as being 10 miles + a 5 hour hike away from Boston!  Why not set it tucked away past some mountains in Western Massachusetts instead?

And as far as raider attacks, I feel like he turned it into a prime target for them, really.  Just by putting up the fence he's basically singing that there's something worth having inside.  But even beyond that, Frank's desire to make the neighborhood look nice is a sign that there's still people living there and that it isn't abandoned.

Th other thing is that they only showed us good weather times throughout the flashbacks, completely ignoring that Bill chose to make his bunker in a place with harsh winters!  What do they eat all winter long?  And more importantly, how do they deal with snow?  If a big storm comes through and they get a couple feet of snow on the ground, raiders could literally just climb up snowbanks and go over his fence!

I know we're not supposed to think about these things and just enjoy the story, but I couldn't help it - probably because I live in the area

Oh and another thing is when the raider attack happens, why is Bill in the middle of the street firing with a single-bolt rifle?  Why wouldn't he use any of his many automatic weapons for an attack such as this one?  Why else would he have them?  They could have easily fixed this by him shooting at the raiders from protective cover, but then when Frank comes out into the street, he has to leave his cover to protect Frank, and that's when he gets shot.

Episode 4 was solid. It's difficult to follow up from last week's fireworks, but it did what it needed to do in order to get Ellie and Joel moving on their journey. Loved all the quiet moments between them as we start to see their mutual affection start to really grow. I'd forgotten about the book of puns from the game, I enjoyed its inclusion here (the cover is even identical to the one in the game!), it's a great little device for showing us more about these characters. Ellie really does feel like a kid with all her giggling at stupid jokes. I loved the moment Joel cracked and we see him smile broadly and then laugh almost hysterically.

The rebels/Henry/Sam stuff worked well enough; I particularly like the casting of Melanie Lynskey as the de facto rebel leader. She really sells the idea of a completely normal person pushed to the absolute limits of their humanity; I get the impression that pre-apocalypse she was just a fun auntie with a bubbly personality, right down to the way she's dressed. This episode was very much concerned with humanising the antagonists which is very welcome. Also nice to see Jeffrey Pierce (who voices Tommy in the game) get a cameo as her lieutenant, what a beard!

I like that they're building multiple threads of tension in Kansas City. Henry and Sam have Joel and Ellie at gunpoint, while the entire rebel city is hunting them, but uh-oh, what's that ominous crack underground mean? Continuing to love the additions they're adding to cordyceps beyond the zombie horror, like the tendrils and now this mysterious underground activity. It really adds a fresh element for people familiar with the story and piles on the tension and dread of what's to come.

A big drawback for me was that this was the first episode that felt like it was merely a part of a larger serialised story, without a strong internal structure. The first three episodes had very clear thematic statements which served as scaffolding for the scenes, giving each story a solid beginning, middle and end while still moving the larger story along. It gestures at a theme of "innocence lost" through the Joel and Ellie scenes (capped off with a child holding a gun at Joel's head) but for me it wasn't as effective as the last two episodes and felt like a lot of setup for the next episode.

I really enjoyed the episode and how faithful it was to the game. It’s the first time where Bella Ramsay actually felt like Ellie to me. Also disappointed at how “short” it was. 

Maybe this change was done to accelerate the development of their relationship, but Joel not being mad at Ellie and actually taking blame for her having to use a gun felt too humanizing. They kinda skipped over the ‘we hate each other’ part of the game, even though he calls her cargo here. 

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I really enjoyed the episode and how faithful it was to the game. It’s the first time where Bella Ramsay actually felt like Ellie to me. Also disappointed at how “short” it was. 

Maybe this change was done to accelerate the development of their relationship, but Joel not being mad at Ellie and actually taking blame for her having to use a gun felt too humanizing. They kinda skipped over the ‘we hate each other’ part of the game, even though he calls her cargo here. 

I agree. Was slightly disappointed in the episode and the pacing. I also really don’t like Kathleen or anything having to do with their group. I just don’t care at all.

It was a decent episode, but I'm surprised it went into WALKING DEAD territory that quickly. The Kansas group seems like any odd group one would meet in that show, and the moral qualms that lie within. Curious to see how it develops.

On 02/02/2023 at 5:43 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Wow, since my post it’s dropped even further to a 7.9 now, compared to 9.2 for the first two episodes.

And Ms. Marvel, one of the best Disney+ MCU shows, is sitting at a 6.2.

Really sad how much bigotry exists, isn’t it?

Yavar

Why do you mean people are downvoting these shows, except that they didn't like them?

On 06/02/2023 at 2:11 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Anyone else think it’s pretty weird for Jay to call me out like this?

I'd say this kind of rudeness is consistent with his past behaviour.

Watched the first episode and thought it was pretty good - surprised and maybe a little disappointed with how closely it’s hewing to the game, but generally as a thing to watch it’s good.  They did great work casting the daughter, RIP.  She was terrific.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

It was a decent episode, but I'm surprised it went into WALKING DEAD territory that quickly. The Kansas group seems like any odd group one would meet in that show, and the moral qualms that lie within. Curious to see how it develops.

It went into Last Of Us territory. That group exists in the game, just without the Kathleen character. 

The Last Of Us 1x04 Please Hold to My Hand

Wow, the character development for Joel, Ellie, and Joel/Ellie was off the charts awesome this week.  I loved that she has the pun book now, and every pun exchange was as good as I hoped/expected based on the game.  I love how amused Bella Ramsey played her responses to either delivering the punchlines or Joel's reactions to them or both, it was perfect.  Show Ellie is more like Game Ellie all the time!  I loved how Joel went from rolling his eyes, to admitting one was funny, to finally telling his own at the end - great stuff.

I also loved that he shared more about his past, it was high time we learned more about his life after Sarah and before Boston QZ and I think we learned basically all we need to now.  I'm getting more curious to learn about Ellie's past all the time now, especially with the reveal this week she's had to hurt someone before.  

I'm not sure it's plausible at all that any gasoline that had been sitting in a car would work at all TWENTY years later (?), but I guess the show needs some explanation for how so many are driving vehicles all the time.  I loved Ellie's disgust at the smell and look of coffee (I thought the same way at 14!) and the way Joel sipped some loudly when she commented on it :lol:   I wonder what 20 year old Chef Boyardee tastes like, or what it does to your stomach.....

The action sequences in Kansas City were really well done too.  The whole car crash and initial shootout in the laundromat, and subsequent sneaking around to get to high ground.  Even within these there was fascinating character development, like when after Joel kills the kid with the knife and goes over to Ellie, he doesn't comfort her at all, and doesn't even seem to realize that she might want that (he was such a good father to Sarah, why doesn't he know this now)?  My wife yelled out "hug her you idiot!"  The way she basically cried briefly and then had to get over it herself shows you how she can become just like him if she doesn't find some more nurturing companionship in her life...

What worked less well for me than all the Joel/Ellie stuff was the detailing of the Kansas City situation.  I love, LOVE Melanie Lynskey - I've enjoyed her greatly in just about everything I've seen her in (even crappy movies like Lady of the Manor), but after a bit into the episode I couldn't help but think she was miscast in this role.  Something about her whole conversation with her childhood doctor who was helping Henry & Sam, and then the way she went outside and gave orders, just didn't ring true for me at all.  For some reason I just didn't find it believable she'd end up in charge of this group.  This isn't our world, it's a crazy apocalypse world where a lot of people are going to regress into more basic drives and she just seemed too soft-spoken to have commandeered all this power.  I guess I'm not sure if it's just the way she was written or the way she's playing it, but I do think it's possible that next week's episode could get into the background of the situation more and I could completely turn around.  We'll see!

The sinkhole in the building was intriguing to me, I don't remember anything like it from the game (not that I remember the game crystal clearly or anything though).  The fact that it was moving makes me assume the fungus is up to something underneath that part, but what?  If there was a bunch of bodies buried there that wouldn't matter, because the fungus can only control living people, not re-animated dead people right?  Hmmm.

I think I liked the setup of having Kathleen's crew talk about Sam and Henry the entire episode, and have them get the one-up on Joel and Ellie at the very end (despite his broken glass floor trick, which seemed like the least smart of all his ideas so far).  I really hope we get a cool backstory for them next week!

Oh, and I thought Kathleen's second-in-command guy was pretty cool, and then in the after-the-show featurette thingy when they stated it was the guy who played Tommy in the game, I had a "ohhhhhhhhh, yea!" moment, because I then immediately recognized his voice (even though I hadn't the whole episode) and realized that Game Tommy kind of looks like the actor, too.  That was pretty neat!

On 05/02/2023 at 8:11 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

that indicated some interest here about the review bombing, so it’s not at all unreasonable that I would bring up it happening for an episode that hasn’t even aired yet.

Yea my post was worded poorly.  What I meant was: I personally do not care in the slightest bit that bigoted losers in the world are reviewing bombing shows.  I don't care that they did it to Ms Marvel, I don't care that they're doing it to this show.  I ignore bigoted losers, I don't give them airtime by broadcasting in new places what they are doing.  But that's just me.  If people on JWFan want to give these clowns more power, I can't stop you if you all want to talk about their behavior week after week after week.  I just could not care any less about them whatsoever and would rather come into this thread to read my friends sharing their own thoughts on this great show, than being reminded against about the dumb-dumbs out there in the world doing dumb things.  But this is just Jay the fellow poster talking, not moderator Jay or anything.

I hope that makes sense.

I applaud and appreciate you for your much more detailed posts/reviews about each episode of this fine series so far (I’ve “liked” every one!) and I look forward to more.

Thanks!

I’ll try to write more on the subject myself going forward.

Nice, I hope you do!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

It went into Last Of Us territory. That group exists in the game, just without the Kathleen character. 

Could be. I've never played the game, and never will, and I will always comment on these episodes as they unfold before me as independent entities. Point is that it resembled several plotlines/group encounters from THE WALKING DEAD. I suppose there are only so many story ingredients one can put in a postapocalyptic story, and they're all bound to have common features. But as I said, I'm curious to see how it develops further; if and how it continues to be similar, or different.

The original game was released in between season 3 and 4 of The Walking Dead, so was probably completely written before anyone working on it had ever seen the show.

Could be. But the series clearly has some of the same faded colour palette as well, not only similar story elements. And some character traits. It's not necessarily a bad thing; THE WALKING DEAD was brilliant and influential, especially in the first few seasons, so a bit of inspiration can be beneficial. Obviously, the central storyline has a bit of THE ROAD in it too.

Faded color palette?  They both take place in the USA where there's no more electricity or people tending to the landscape and plant life has began to creep back into formerly empty areas.  Of course they look the same

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Faded color palette?  They both take place in the USA where there's no more electricity or people tending to the landscape and plant life has began to creep back into formerly empty areas.  Of course they look the same

There are a number of ways to portray/photograph such circumstances, though. The aforementioned THE ROAD had a more blueish/black tone, for example. MAD MAX 2 was brighter, orange, sunswept. THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, as a comedy, was also brighter, more digital and slightly grainier. Etcetera, etcetera. Again, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to be influenced by THE WALKING DEAD. It doesn't take anything away from the quality of the show to be influenced by a highly influental, post-apocalyptic TV show that basically redefined the way we experience zombie-type stories.

16 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

Episode 4 was solid. It's difficult to follow up from last week's fireworks, but it did what it needed to do in order to get Ellie and Joel moving on their journey. Loved all the quiet moments between them as we start to see their mutual affection start to really grow. I'd forgotten about the book of puns from the game, I enjoyed its inclusion here (the cover is even identical to the one in the game!), it's a great little device for showing us more about these characters. Ellie really does feel like a kid with all her giggling at stupid jokes. I loved the moment Joel cracked and we see him smile broadly and then laugh almost hysterically.

Oh that's neat that the cover is the same as the game.  The only thing that kinda bummed me was that Ellie just all of a sudden has this book?  I wish there was a scene of her finding it.  

Yea her giggling reminded me of Game Ellie so much, it was great, and seeing Joel warm up to it was just great.

The rebels/Henry/Sam stuff worked well enough; I particularly like the casting of Melanie Lynskey as the de facto rebel leader. She really sells the idea of a completely normal person pushed to the absolute limits of their humanity; I get the impression that pre-apocalypse she was just a fun auntie with a bubbly personality, right down to the way she's dressed.

Interesting we'd have opposite opinions of her casting.  I did see some reluctance to be in charge in her performance, I guess maybe I'm most lamenting the lack of expostiion explaining how she got there - but maybe we'll get there next week.

This episode was very much concerned with humanising the antagonists which is very welcome.

That's true, isn't it; FEDRA has not been humanized at all yet, and of course the fungus can't be

Also nice to see Jeffrey Pierce (who voices Tommy in the game) get a cameo as her lieutenant, what a beard!

Did you know that was him during the show, or only find out after like I did?  And yes, the beard was mighty!

I like that they're building multiple threads of tension in Kansas City. Henry and Sam have Joel and Ellie at gunpoint, while the entire rebel city is hunting them, but uh-oh, what's that ominous crack underground mean?

Yes, good point!

Continuing to love the additions they're adding to cordyceps beyond the zombie horror, like the tendrils and now this mysterious underground activity. It really adds a fresh element for people familiar with the story and piles on the tension and dread of what's to come.

Yes I like that I had no idea what that sinkhole was all about.  I loved the way both Kathleen and the lietenant guy acted in response to it - their terror was palpable!

A big drawback for me was that this was the first episode that felt like it was merely a part of a larger serialised story, without a strong internal structure. The first three episodes had very clear thematic statements which served as scaffolding for the scenes, giving each story a solid beginning, middle and end while still moving the larger story along. It gestures at a theme of "innocence lost" through the Joel and Ellie scenes (capped off with a child holding a gun at Joel's head) but for me it wasn't as effective as the last two episodes and felt like a lot of setup for the next episode.

Damn, you're totally right!  I hadn't thought of it like that.  I guess they knew Kansas City was too big to fit in one episode and had to break it somehow, so had to use a cliffhanger and leave all their setups un-paid-off until the next episode, which they hadn't done before.  I guess on future rewatches, this will all be less of an issue.  And, we're only 3 days away from Episode 5 now!

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I really enjoyed the episode and how faithful it was to the game. It’s the first time where Bella Ramsay actually felt like Ellie to me.

Oh man, I agree that this was a huge step towards Bella being like Game Ellie, but I also got those vibes right away in episode 1 the way she talked back to her captors there.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It is a bit alarming that only halfway through the season, they've only covered 4 1/2 of the games 13 (including Left Behind) chapters...

15 hours ago, MaxMovieMan said:

I also really don’t like Kathleen or anything having to do with their group. I just don’t care at all.

Well I'm not sure that you're supposed to root for any of them, I think their screentime was more to world-build what society is like now

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I personally do not care in the slightest bit

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't care that they did it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't care that they're doing it

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I just could not care any less

Stop mincing words Jay, how do you really feel?

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Interesting we'd have opposite opinions of her casting.  I did see some reluctance to be in charge in her performance, I guess maybe I'm most lamenting the lack of expostiion explaining how she got there - but maybe we'll get there next week.

I'd agree that a lot of her character remains to be seen - why or how could someone like her end up in charge of a militant rebellion? I imagine we'll learn more next week. I think I was just struck by the casting choice which is bold and interesting, and having watched Heavenly Creatures I feel like we're in safe hands; Lynskey knows how to wrangle these kinds of character contradictions. I also have complete faith in Mazin's writing and vision, he genuinely hasn't dropped the ball once.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Did you know that was him during the show, or only find out after like I did?  And yes, the beard was mighty!

I found out after listening to the official HBO podcast (which I listen to right after watching, it's really great, even if Druckmann doesn't get to say much most of the time lol).

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes I like that I had no idea what that sinkhole was all about.  I loved the way both Kathleen and the lietenant guy acted in response to it - their terror was palpable!

My assumption is that it’s a bloater. 

22 hours ago, Jay said:

It is a bit alarming that only halfway through the season, they've only covered 4 1/2 of the games 13 (including Left Behind) chapters...

If you think about it, the Winter part of the game is a lot of action and going to place to place with very little of the "story".  I think based on the episodes left, it should work out alright and not feel rushed. I think there is some stuff that will be sacrificed, but at this point I'm willing to trust them based on how well this transition from game to show has gone. another episode or two would probably be ideal but sometimes less is more.